What's new
World Wide Stereo

What type of amplifier is required to work with the Pioneer SC-95? (1 Viewer)

vid1953

Grip
Real Name
gary
I am thinking about purchasing the SC-95 and would like to have 4 to 6 Atmos ceiling speakers if possible. I have never had to purchase an amplifier before and was wondering what type i would need to give me the 7.1.4 or even a 9.1.6 configuration if possible. How do these amps connect to the receivers and then which speakers are connected to them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.The setup i have is the seating will be against the back wall which is 15 feet away from the screen.The sides are wide open with no walls.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The SC-95 offers 11 channels of amplification out of the box. The picture below has front/center/surround/back surround for the main 7 channels of a surround sound system. Top middle for 2 Atomos channels and Extra 1 for another 2 Atmost channels.
SC-95_Back.jpg

Since you have seating against the back wall, you can't properly set up a 7.1 system since you can't use surround speakers behind your seat.

If you want to use stand alone amps, that's easy. I use a pair of Crown XLS 1000 amps to run my front 3 channels. My old Pioneer VSX-1014 is connected to the amps with a shielded audio cables. If you look closely, shielded audio cables with RCA connectors are just video cables and that's what I used. I connected each pre-amp output (left/center/right) to an input of the amp. Yes, I am only using 3 of the 4 channels of Crown amplification available to me.

No matter what route you take, you will need to use the same type of cable to connect to a subwoofer amplifier whether that amp is in a subwoofer enclosure or a stand alone amp like I use. My sub amps are Behringer EP-2500 amps.

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Something that will help you is to download the owners manual and study it. Basically you would use the 9.2.2 layout without the l/r surround back speakers with 1 subwoofer, if that's all you have. In this configuration you'd have your basic 5.1 layout with the added Front Height and Top Middle speakers. This is the same layout I use for my HT and I'm very pleased with the results.

Another option is to add Front Wide speakers if you have the space. Bear in mind that audio may or may not be present from these speakers depending on the audio source format.

vid1953

Grip
Real Name
gary
Thank you for your help.I am attaching my layout and remember there are no side walls.
Is it possible to keep all speakers in wall and in ceiling?. Is this how yours is set up?

Attachments

• REVISED THEATER LAYOUT.pdf
    327.9 KB · Views: 207

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
My room is 14'w x 16'd x 8'h. My MLP is 2' out from the back wall, centered on the tv. My surrounds are just aft of my MLP, one 5' and the other 7' away. The top middle speakers are 3' forward of my MLP.

Maybe look into getting a 4-panel room divider to place next to the landing entry. Besides helping to break up the room it will have the added benefit of being a backdrop for the left surround speaker/stand and offering it some protection if you went that route. Your right surround would be placed on the far side of the other doorway.

vid1953

Grip
Real Name
gary
So you have 4 speakers on the ceiling the 3 l/c/r/ speakers and 2 L/R surrounds? Sounds like you only have 2 ceiling speakers for Atmos, is that right??

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I have Front Height along with Top Middle which is a 5.1.4 setup. I have a Denon X4200W with an Emotiva UPA-200 powering the Top Middle speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks