What's new

What top-mount tweeter to buy? (2 Viewers)

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator
I luckily came across a pair of Ruana Njord home speakers not to long ago and absolutely love them! They are concrete and have a very controlled sound to them because of this. The problem is that at one time one or both of the tweeters blew and so new tweeters were put on. They sound sub-par (one is a seas which sounds very good, the other does not; yes, it is a different brand of tweeter on the left side, LOL). So I am interested in getting a tweeter that will mount on the top of the speakers. I know Morel has something that works like this, but are there others out there that I should consider? Thanks!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
No mfgr makes a decent tweeter that's specifically designed to be top mounted. That being said virtually any tweeter can be used in that placement.

You should contact the speaker mfgr and find out what/who's tweeter they use. You shouldn't just drop in any tweeter because the crossover components are custom designed for a specific tweeter.

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Njord's have not been produced in over 10 years I am told and the tweeters they use have long been discontinued (I am going to pull the xovers out sometime and either change out resistors/caps as needed or build new xovers to match whatever tweeters I end up buying).

Some one was telling me about a tweeter a few weeks ago that wasn't too bad, although I'd have to hear one beforehand. I am thinking of just going with a high end car audio tweeter because of the reduced magnet size (neo instead of ferrite) and build a little housing out of fiberglass...B&W style perhaps.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I did notice the T Series Horn Tweeters from Fostex are said to be top mount.
Models T90A, T925A, T500A.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
EmetW,
Is something like this what you are looking for?

Don't know how it sounds but I have seen it used on some type of commercial speaker. Thomas made a good point though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks