What's new

What player would suit my needs? (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
My current dvd player is dying so I'm looking to get a new one. I want one that upconverts, plays xvid and divx, allows pal to play on an ntsc tv and is either region free or can be hacked to be region free. I don't have a 1080P tv and won't in the near future so 1080P upconversion isn't a selling point for me and as far as sound goes coaxal or optical is all I need. It seems like Oppo is the way to go but I'm not sure which model to get. My biggest concern is the divx and xvid playback and support. I want to play old tv shows that have yet to come to dvd (some of which will never be on dvd) and being able to burn the .avi file would save time and trouble trying to convert the files to dvd as well as save disc's but I want decent quality and I don't want to have to worry about what version of Divx or Xvid the file is encoded with. Which player offers the latest version of Divx and Xvid and when a new version of the codec's come out does Oppo offer a firmware update to support these new versions? Do any of the older players support the lastest versions through firmware updates? Do they only upconvert with HDMI or will DVI or component also work? Price isn't really an issue but it would be nice not to have to spend over $500 Canadian but I will if I have too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Due to the PAL to NTSC, the 981 is the way to go. I've heard that the 980 doesn't do as well with this. They are also coming out with what I believe is a replacement for the 981 soon, the 983, so you might try contacting them directly to see if they feel the 981 is the one or if the 983 will offer something you'd need. None of them will upscale over component for copy protected material, and the 981 doesn't have component anyway. You'll have to ask them about updates for Divx/Xvid.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Thanks for the help. I did some looking around and it seems the 981 is the best choice. I've heard nothing but praise for Oppo players for awhile now so I took the plunge and ordered it. Hopefully this will be the last sd dvd player I have to buy but this will only be my third standalone in seven years and considering I usually watch a dvd every day that's not too bad. Thanks again, John. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks