What OS for my new PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, so far so good.
    mb: asus p4b533-e (2.53/512mb)
    case: antec 1080 performance plus
    hd: probably western digital 80g/8mb buffer ata/100
    cd-rw: probably plextor or yamaha
    floppy: what's a floppy? [​IMG] some generic
    i'll worry about audio and video later.
    so i think all i need is an OS.
    i think i'll go with xp-home, but was wondering if something else would be better. i already have 98, don't know much about ME and am not sure if enough software is supported for me to go with NT. don't know much about win2k either.
    so, any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
    thx,
    ted

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I have used:

DOS 6.22/Win 3.11
    Windows 95
    OS/2 Warp
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows NT 4.0
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP Professional

Right now, if I were to give a recommendation, it would be for XP Professional. It is really a pretty nice operating system, and pretty stable too. Windows 2000 was pretty nice too, but not as user friendly as XP. XP Home editions should be decent too, but it lacks some of the "power" features that Professional has.

Avoid ME...definitely not worth it... 98se is okay, but XP and 2000 are much more stable.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I'd second XP. It's very tweakable, as well as fast and stable. It boots in under 30 seconds in most computers. After all of the hardware drivers are loaded, and system is tweaked, Task Manager shows it to use about 59mb, which is about as lean as Win2k.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd also vote for Windows XP Home.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I think that XP is the way to go if you want to do any sort of gaming, but 2000 if it's a strictly enterprise machine. I'm using XP Pro right now (which I figure is the best of both worlds) and haven't had any major problems this time. On a side note though, I'm glad that you can reset everything to the "classic" windows look-I really hated the new XP start menu design etc (which will probably turn a few people off of XP).

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...looks like XP may be the winner. i'll go with the pro edition...suppose it can't hurt.

this is really just for my home desktop...i don't plan on doing anything too hardcore...gaming will definitely be on that list.

i'm glad chris mentioned the look of XP...it looks way too cheesy for me too...i'll definitely be giving it the classic look.

thanks guys!

8. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have used and alpha and beta tested Windows from 2.0 (yes, 640K based) all the way to Win 98SE, and I've used ME, Win 98 Lite, and a number of variances. I am currently using W2K (2 systems), XP Home(1 system), and XP Pro(1 system).

My recommendation is to go with XP, it's not that either XP or 2000 has superiority over the other (may be some real minor edges to one or the other), but based on the fact that the cost is comparable, both uses the same NT code base, but XP being a newer OS. There has been talks lately that MS will not only drop Win9x, ME, but Win 2000. IMO, not likely to happen, but if you are paying similar $$$, same code base, why even sweat it?

As to Home vs Prof, Home is cheaper, and unless you are into pretty heavy duty networking and admin stuff, as well as encrypting your files (all these take a bit of work and understanding), Home is sufficient for most user.

10. John_Berger

Win 2000, however, has one HUGE advantage over Win XP -- NO ACTIVATION. This IMHO is a HUGE detriment to Win XP. I understand the reasons why they're doing it (although I do not totally believe their reasons); but the activation code is nothing more than an major annoyance, particularly if this system will be a test system that might get rebuilt on a regular basis. And I still strongly question the algorithm that they use to generate the activation code that must be called in.

11. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Another strong vote for XP. Windows 2000 is a great OS and it is very stable, but I think XP is just as good, if not better.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Agreed I've used all the versions of windows over the years and XP has been the most stable and user friendly of all of them. If you are into digital camera's XP's got the best feature of all in the preview mode for your images...saves a ton of time.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

14. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

15. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

Hopefully by that time, Linux will be simple enough to use that it won't matter anymore.

Sean

16. John_Berger

17. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I agree with Joh in that if your machine is kind of a test bench, when you shuffle stuff in and out, reformat, .., etc, then Win 2000 is simply more cut and dry (and I've done that with my Win 2000 laptops), no having to sweat activation at all.

>>The first thing that I did with my new system was install a new hard drive and install Win 2K. The XP that came with the system never got booted up -- not even once.

18. John_Berger

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If going the Win XP route, go for PRO, not the Home version. More stable OS from the experiences of some buddies of mine who are computer experts.

Dan

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

steve - thx for the link in the coupons section. unfortunately looks like the offer is off. bogus...