What's new

What...no midnight Matrix reloaded showing???!!! (1 Viewer)

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I didn't see this already posted anywhere, so I thought I'd break the news. Sorry if it's already out there.

Evidently, a few weeks after Matrix: Reloaded hits theaters, it will be hitting IMAX as well. Even better, IMO, is that Matrix: Revolution will day-and-date in IMAX theaters and conventional theaters.

As one who appreciated the eye-candy fun of the Episode 2 IMAX release (not intending to start anything over aspect ratios or film edits here - I just thought it was fun on the huge screen), I think this could absolutely ROCK.

Have a good one.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Steve_Tk, that is just plain impossible. One would have to use another format than Imax to complete this task. One cannot possible squeeze a widescreen OAR performance onto the Imax screen without some hacking or open-matting.

It appears that you will never buy your ticket. You really are missing out on a lot of fun based on principle. Just my $0.02

I'm looking forward to Matrix in Imax!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Sorry, is there a link that talks about the aspect Ratio of the Imax? I'm assuming Matrix will be in 2:35 so they would just cut off the sides as per usual? If so, ouch!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Aren't The Matrix films shot in Super 35?

If the visual effects artists are composing the effects in a 2.35:1 frame, then there will be some heavy cropping.

But if the visual effects artists are composing the effects in a 1.85:1 frame like some recent films (ex: Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings), then there will be the opening of the top/bottom/left/right sides of the screens (depending on each shot), but there will still be cropping from taking a 1.85:1 frame to 1.44:1. Or they could have the IMAX print in 1.85:1 or 1.66:1 (like the Disney animated films shown in IMAX).

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Every reformatted 35mm film to the 15/70 format (the IMAX format) has been letterboxed. I can only assume that Matrix will be the same way.

Admittedly, the letterboxing does not always match the OAR of the 35mm print, Episode 2 is a prime example of this, but at the very least some concessions have been made to maintaining the OAR. They don't simply "cut off the sides as per usual" - that makes it sound like it's just a 4:3 TV pan-scan hack job, which it isn't.

I would suggest that these IMAX reformats are a different theater experience entirely, and shouldn't be lumped into the whole OAR debate. The point to seeing a film like this on an IMAX screen is the spectacle of it all, from the incredible sound to the astounding view. It goes beyond the OAR situation to give you an experience unlike anything you could get in any other theater.

And for what it's worth, I'm an OAR enthusiast with a 16:9 screen and there isn't a single pan-scan DVD in my library, nor will there ever be.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Loews Cineplex Webster Place 8
1471 W. Webster Ave., Chicago, IL 60614
Map | Dinner Reservations | Invite: Fandango a Friend

12:15 | 1:00 | 3:15 | 4:00 | 6:15 | 7:00 | 9:15 | 10:00
12:15am

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I have tickets! Wheee! They're for the 10:00pm show the 14th at the 600. It's not my favorite theater. The rooms are small, the seating isn't stadium, and I don't think they have any special sound system, but I couldn't help it. It's the easiest for us to get to, and the first on sale. If a better theater popped up I'd probably eat the cost of these tickets (or try to exchange them for another showing the next day or so).

But at least I have them! Thanks again for telling me Brad.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Is it going to be transferred to IMAX film via the DNR process (like Apollo 13 and AOTC recently)? Or is it going to be projected on an IMAX screen via a standard 35mm projector (like many 35mm IMAX presentations I've seen before)...if it is the latter, then it will be in the proper aspect ratio, with huge black bars on the top and bottom, which I have no problem with. If anything, you get the KICK ASS sound system of an IMAX theater in that situation. If they DNR it to IMAX, then I'd prefer they keep the original ratio, but they haven't done that yet to my knowledge (there was quite a bit of cropping for the AOTC IMAX release)...

Until we know more...

-Dennis

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Theaters are showing the film at 10:00pm on the 14th? Wow. I hope that happens in Las Vegas.

At both Episode I and II, people clapped and cheered at the LucasFilm and Fox logos, and when the music started with the SW logo, but after that it was silent until there was a good action scene or something worth cheering for. Except for the one scene in Episode II where you can tell that the ship on Tatooine is cold.
At Episode II, people clapped and cheered for:
- The DLP trailer.
- The THX trailer.
- The Matrix trailer.
- The Century Theaters "Feature Presentation" trailer.
- The 20th Century Fox logo.
- The LucasFilm logo.
- The Star Wars logo.
- Some people whistled when you can tell the ship on Tatooine is cold.
- Once Yoda pulled out the lightsaber, the whole theater went nuts the whole scene.
- The end credits with standing ovation.

And this happened at all the showings I went to during the first 48 hours it came out. :)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Got my tickets for 10PM on the 14th too (Loews @ Universal City Plaza, CA)

Again, interesting choice of times - remains to be seen if they stick to this :) Thanks to the people who gave the heads-up!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It's not principle. I just don't want to spend 10 dollars to watch an extremely cropped presentation when I can spend 5 and get a much better experience.

Plus the Imax seats where I am are uncomfortable as hell. Almost a burden to sit in them for multiple hours.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Personally I'll probably go to see both, the sound in the IMAX theaters is more engulfing than any dedicated movie theater I've been to. Will they even use a format like DTS/DD or have something different (hopefully uncompressed)? :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I might see you there Jehen, but Fandango's not selling tickets for that time right now, which either means they're sold out or they may be changing it. DId you get your tickets at the box office or online?

Adam

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Scott,
I don't think IMAX uses DTS or DD. I could be wrong but I think they use their own IMAX system. At the beginning of AOTC in IMAX this man came out and explained the Imax system and I don't believe he mentioned DTS or DD. The sound is terrific though.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matrix 1,2,3 are all Super35

AOTC is P&S (name me a shot w/o FX)
Apollo 13 was open matte (P&S FX)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks