What's new

What MP3 player to get? (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Those do look really great. talk about bang for you buck. how long do the batteries typically last? anyone experiance this?

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
Jean D

According to Anandtech's review ( available here: http://anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2084 ), the batteries lasted:

"The battery life on the Digital Jukebox is specified at 20 hours, and we got approximately 19.5 hours in the first couple of days. It tapered off at 18 to 19 hours after several days of constant use and stayed at that battery rating for the duration of our testing. This is fairly in line with battery degradation that we have seen with other MP3 players."

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I'm lost on the converter. It says at 128 kbps with a file of 5 meg it is 5 min. 27 sec. and at 64kbps it's 10min. 55 sec. So what does that mean? How much space is it actually taking on the card....I'm so confused...
Never mind. I just figured it out. What's the fastest bit rate that you would want?

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
John Alvarez

So that means, given you have a 5MB storage medium, encoding at 128 kbps, you can fit 5m27s of music on it. So what you want to do is, plug in how much space you plan on getting (128MB, 256MB, 1GB?), then plug in your bitrate (64, 128, 192?), and it'll tell you how much music you can fit on it.

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, you edited your post while I was typing my reply. :)

John Alvarez

Well, that's really the big question. This is that personal preference I refered to earlier. How much quality are you willing to sacrifice to get more music on the player? The rule of thumb for MP3s is 128, but some people won't think of going less than 192 or even 256. I haven't used WMA, but I've heard the rule of thumb there is 64 (supposedly equivalent to a 128 MP3). Not familiar enough with AAC or OGG to give an answer for either of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks