What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Okay, so I was watching "The Phantom Menace" last night on DVD and I couldn't help but think that this was the absolute worst movie in the series. I actually found disc two, which had all the supplementary material, to be more interesting than the movie itself!
    And so I was wondering... What is everyone's favorite Star Wars movie? Since I want to know the statistics, please vote here but leave any comments in this thread. Or if you prefer, you can just cast your vote and/or make your comments here without going to my poll...
    Thanks in advance!!!
    P.S. My favorite is the original 1977 release...

2. Holden Pike

Holden Pike Stunt Coordinator

This question has been asked a few times before. I suspect you'll find it's The Empire Strikes Back by a wide margin. It certainly gets my vote, easily, no contest.

3. Allan Mack

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'm tempted to vote for Empire since that's widely regarded as the best of the series but I honestly don't remember. The last time I saw the original trilogy was when they were theatrically rereleased in SE form.

5. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

Gotta go with the original (and I don't mean Episode 1!). New Hope started it all, it was awesome, and it can stand on its own without a sequel or prequel.

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    'Star Wars IV A New Hope' for me, the one I most fondly remember from my more frequent cinema going days, before muppets and teddy bears took over the series, it was nominated for best picture and should have won in my opinion.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The original. It's kind of a silly question, though - I don't feel all that much need to distinguish between "great" and "way above-average". [​IMG]

8. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

It does seem like I may be in the minority, but I liked Episode VI, Return of the Jedi best.
    Just my opinion.
    Norm

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  10. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

The original film is also my favorite as well. I like Empire almost as much as Star Wars and I consider these two to be four star movies whereas Jedi only gets three and a half stars (the half is for the space battle at the end!).
    The magic or chemistry of the first two films is somewhat lacking in Jedi, just witness Harrison Ford's 'I wish I was in any movie but this one' acting. Not to mention those damn Ewoks...
    TPM, even though I like parts of it well enough, just drops precipitously down to one and a half stars. The "feel" of the originals is completely gone here. Not to mention that damn Jar-Jar... And yes, that half star is for the lightsaber battle at the end.
    [Edited last by Heinz W on October 22, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

11. Allan Mack

I like the Star Wars films in this order:
    1) Episode 4: A New Hope (original version with no CGI). This one is the only movie that is complete in itself, with no reliance on the others in the series. The special effects are the weakest of the four, but this was groundbreaking work at the time. Besides, the story is the main reason why this movie still works for me today.
    2) Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back. If it wasn't for the fact that this movie relies on the first and has an ending that kind of leaves you hanging, than I would have to say this movie is the best in the series. Great special effects and a darker, more emotional movie than the first.
    3) Episode 6: Return of the Jedi. Great special effects, but the story was kind of weak. I didn't really warm up to the 'teddy bears'. But overall, a nice way to wrap up the series.
    4) Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. I honestly think Lucas is losing his touch here. I find Jar Jar and the young Anakin very annoying. I hope things get better in Episode 2. The special effects in Phantom are at times awesome (ex., the scenes with Coruscant as the backdrop, and the pod race scene), but at other times, it's a little cartoonish.
    The acting in all four films leaves a lot to be desired, but then, these movies are not about acting but more about story and immersing the viewer into a whole different world. Even though I didn't like Phantom, I will definitely be lining up to see Episode 2 when it comes out.

12. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I don't want to go into deatail but I am gonna go with
    TESB

13. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

Empire

14. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

ESB
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

15. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

To me it is a tossup between A New Hope and Empire. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with Empire.

16. Ken_Jones

Ken_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi, it moved at a fast pace, had loads of great action, the action sequences are by far the most exciting of the entire SW series.
    Although I don't hate it, ESB has always been my least favorite SW film, it moves too slow for me. Oh well, to each their own.
    [Edited last by Ken_Jones on October 22, 2001 at 10:16 PM]

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

1. The Empire Strikes Back - (These two lines say it all: "I Love You"... "I Know")
    2. The Phantom Menace - (Love Jar Jar! Natalie & Ewan!!)
    3. Return of the Jedi - (The end fight is a promo for Ep 1... plus continuation of Solo/Organa romance)
    4. A New Hope - (A hugely slow starter... the movie doesn't really get going until Luke & Co. leave Tatooine)
    I love all the movies in the their own ways...

18. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Empire is #1 by the smallest of margins, with Star Wars (eff that "New Hope" stuff) at #2. Jedi at #3 and Phantom Menace in last, although I still enjoyed TPM quite a bit.
    Ask me again in about 6 months! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://www.ofcs.org

19. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Empire Strikes Back: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Star Wars: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Return of the Jedi: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Episode One: The Phantom Menace [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jason
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
    "Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
    My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

20. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

My pick would be Hardware Wars with an honorable mention going to Thumb Wars.