What's new

What is this car? (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
Ah, yes ... Mercedes. SL500 Roadster. The AMG version is my wallpaper at home. Beautiful car. Starts at about $85k. Here's the link ...

Freddy C.

Frederick

Second Unit
Wow. I didn't know it there was an SL 350. And I figured there was some modifications to it based on the wheels. Didn't notice the Carlsson tag, though. At least I got the Mercedes part right :D ...

Freddy C.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The certainly did the SL series right. I rarely stop to gawk at nice cars, but whenever I see a new SL500 I stop whatever and watch.

Brent

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,

It's not a SL350 or a SL500. It's a tuned SL55 AMG. AMG is the "hotrod" division of Mercedes-Benz. Carlsson adds some horsepower (about 90), a body kit, wheels and some other fluff. Car in the photos is a non-USA car. (note: cloth insert in seats is not a US option.)

Although the Carlsson has more hp than a stock SL55, MBZ has already debuted a new engine that is more powerful. The CL65 showed at the recent Genveva autoshow. This is an AMG version of the '03 twin-turbo v-12 now standard in the CL600,S600, and soon to be released SL600. CL65 (and S65 and SL65) will have 612hp and 738ft/lb of torque.

Hope this helps,

Michael

p.s.-see my profile for job description.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,

It's a V8 not a V6. Bad lighting/reflection in photo. Carlsson's website says it's based on the SL55 which is only a V8. The blower on top of the engine (seen on Carlsson's website is the V8 blower, not the V6. Car would be called a CK32 if it was a V6. Carlsson's designation is a CK55.

Michael

MikeM

Screenwriter
I bet the guy is saying to the saleswoman, "So I can get how many chicks with the car???" :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I bet the guy is saying to the saleswoman, "So I can get how many chicks with the car???"
Hmmm? A guy with a receding hair line, buying an expensive/fancy convertible??? :laugh:

Seriously, I just walked by this car in the parking lot today. I remember thinking "That's a cool car", then I saw it was a Mercedes...Woah! Sweet!

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help guys! I thought it was based on a Mercedes but haven't heard of Carlsson before; the emblem on the front threw me off. Looks like I would have to import one to get it, too much to consider. Here is one to match it.

OR one of these would be nice

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,

Although a Mercedes, none of the tuners are allowed (by Benz) to alter the grille and keep the Star intact. Hence, most of these modded cars have odd grille logos.

Btw, most of these upper end tuners do work in the USA. You do not have to import to get one. However, these super-modded cars are relatively big bucks. The SL55 starts around $120k. Full body kit, custom interior and another 100+hp will probably tack on at least another $50k. Sweet stuff but the engine work also completely voids the engine warranty.

Fyi, the second car you posted is a Brabus modded Benz. Brabus is noted more for stuffing bigger engines in smaller cars. (as opposed to Carlsson or Lorinser adding horsepower/blowers/turbos to a car's existing engine.) The 6.1, I believe, is a v12 in the CLK.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks