What's new

What is the Best Receiver for Bostons? (1 Viewer)

fabrizio

Agent
Hi,

I hope that I get an answer this time....

Looking for a good match to my Boston CR85's....looking for a HT receiver..

I play about 70% movies/TV and 30% music....

Looking at about $500-700 Canadian...

Any suggestions as to what might be a good match?

Stefan A

Second Unit
I think the reason why you won't get as many responses as you would like is because this question is so subjective. I am sure you will get as many receiver suggestions as there are Boston owners. Within your price range, find out what is available and go out and listen. That is really the best way to know. I am not familiar with Canadian money, but it sounds like you are going to be shopping for entry/mid level equipment. If that is the case, I suggest looking into Yamaha's line of recievers.

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha RXV-1000 with CR-8's up front and am quite pleased.

I think the RXV-596 is around 500 but there may be a newer model at that price point.

I also liked the Denon. Sound is a bit warmer if you like that. 1802 would be in your budget.

Good luck.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I also use a Yamaha RX-V2095 with my Boston set up (see my HT link).

Though, I'm seriously considering an upgrade to a Pioneer VSX-49TX this year. I'll probably replace the Boston's before too long - looking at Vienna Acoustics I think.

fabrizio

Agent
I know my question is quite subjective...just wondering what other Boston owners were using to give me an idea where to start....

I appreciate your responses...thanks

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
I started driving my Boston Acoutics speakers (4 x VR-M50 plus VR-MC) with an Outlaw Audio Model 1050 Reciever and then added an Outlaw Audio Model 750 Five Channel Amp when I moved into a larger home with a dedicated HT room. Sounds wonderful to my ears. Friends and family have always come away with a very pleased "Wow!". :)
I have a friend who's driving a set of the older B.A. CR series (2 x CR-8, 2 x CR-6, plus CR-2 (I think, it's the smaller center)) with an Outlaw Audio Model 1050 Reciever. He's thrilled with the sound and I have to admit, even though his CR's cost a lot less than my VR-M's ... they still sound damn good!
So that's two votes for the Outlaw 1050 with Boston Acoustic speakers. :)

fabrizio

Agent
I'm in Canada...ordering and shipping the Outlaw could get expensive, i think?

How much is it American?

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
As far as I know, Outlaw has sent a good number of Model 1050 receivers up to Canada. Drop them a line at [email protected] and ask them what it would cost. I'm quite sure they'd be able to answer you.
The price in USD is $499 or $449 for a B-Stock (returned for any number of reasons, but fully inspected and with the full *NEW* warrantied).
Hope this helps,

fabrizio

Agent
Not being the audiophile that others are on here...not sure when something sounds bright..laid back...

Are Boston's considered laid back? I hear on here that Yamaha is a bright receiver....therefore, it doesn't go?

I currently have a 2-channel Marantz....laid back?

I think the Marantz and the Bostons sound great..then again, i have no experience in the matter, I had 20 year old Sony speakers on the Marantz before I bought the Boston's....

any recomendations?

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Please be aware that you'll probably get as many opinions on the warm vs bright subject as you will different responces. :) However, in my personal opinion ...
I find the B.A. VR-M series of speakers to be as close to a neutral sound as anything I've heard in the price range. I, personally, felt that the CR series was just ever so slightly on the bright side. For example, assuming the value of 1 to be so "warm" as to be muddy and 9 to be so "bright" as to be unbareably harsh, I rate the VR-M series as "5" (or maybe a 4.9) and the CR series as "5.25".
Given the above, I feel that the Outlaw Model 1050 has a very neutral effect upon the sound out of these speakers. I have read reports from folks with other speakers that have stated that they feel that the Model 1050 has made their speakers sound "brighter", but I don't recall any of them having had B.A.'s of any sort.
I'm sure this isn't much help, the sound of a system is a pretty subjective thing to try and describe. :)
Regardless, good luck on your search!

fabrizio

Agent
Thanks for the reply...

so is it best to match a warm receiver and warm speakers? or do you want a bright receiver for warm speakers?

You say Boston CR's are close to neutral....what is a Marantz receiver considered?

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Again, this my personal opinion but ... If I had speakers that were considered bright, I'd probably try to find receiver or pre/pro that was warm in order to balance the combination out. Visa versa if the speakers were warm (I'd look for a bright receiver or pre/pro).
The few Marantz receivers I've heard (and it was quite a while ago, so I don't recall the model numbers) were a bit on the warm side I'd say. If I call my Outlaw 1050 a "5" or neutral ... I'd give the Marantz pieces I heard a "4". Again, this is personal opinion and I'd be surprised if someone didn't disagree with me. :)
G'night,

fabrizio

Agent
so.....if Boston's are considered neutral....I should stay away from a bright receiver like Yamaha? Then a warm to neutral Marantz (remember that I currently have a 2-channel Marantz SR63) would be a good match...

although you say that you want to balance...so maybe then Boston's with a Yamaha would be a good balance....

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
The friend I mentioned in my first post up above had a Yamaha RX-V690 before he bought the Outlaw 1050. He thought the Yamaha/Boston combination sounded jusy fine until he heard the 1050 with my Bostons. :)
As for Marantz, I've only listened to them in show rooms and I'm not sure ever with Bostons. So I can't speak from first hand knowledge, but I'm pretty sure that I have read posts from folks that have the combination and I believe I recall them being pleased with the combination.

fabrizio

Agent
Thanks Patrick....I'm pretty new at this, and trying to catch up...don't have the coin to go too crazy...just want to make sure that I get the best bang for my buck....

I won't be upgrading yearly...so, want to get the best that I can get

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Fabrizio,
Sorry buddy, wrong hobby! ;)
Nah, you're more than welcome. As one of the original beta testers, I believe that I've had my 1050 longer than any non-Outlaw employee ... nearly 2 full years now. Even after all this time and with all the new formats and products that have come out since, I still feel the 1050 provides a tremendous "bang for the buck". What it lacks in formats (e.g.; DLPII had just been announced when the 1050 was released), it more than makes up for in sound quality and versatility. At least in my opinion. :)
Good luck!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
While many of the similarly-priced receivers do home theater as well as the Outlaw 1050, I haven't heard one that does better justice to music.

I don't have Bostons, but if you take a look at the Outlaw message boards, it's clear that they're a favorite match. Unless DPL-II and a wide variety of other DSPs are important to you, I don't think you'll find a better choice in your price range than the Outlaw.

fabrizio

Agent
How important or good is DPLII?

I'm trying to future proof as much as I can...maybe I am in the wrong hobby...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks