What's new

What is the best method to adjust center channel equalization? (1 Viewer)

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
My Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver has a center channel graphic equalizer adjustment, +/- 1-5 dB at 100, 300, 1K, 3K and 10K Hz. The manual says that this feature is used to match the center speaker tone to the right and left mains tone. The center does have a very noticeable difference in tone when I play the Yamaha pink noise test tone. I think this is caused by the center speaker placement - on top of a 56" RPTV, which probably emphasizes the mid to upper bass region a little too much. I have also read that this can affect dialogue clarity on some DVD's, which we have also experienced.

My trail and error approach to the center EQ adjustment hasn't worked out very well. Is there a procedure that I can follow to set up the center eq properly? I'm thinking that test tones at the 100, 300, 1K, 3K and 10K points would be the way to go, but I don't have a source for these. Have any of you successfully done this set-up and can you share your methodology?

BTW, the center speaker is a Paradigm Studio CC and is driven by an Anthem MCA-3, mains are Studio 60's driven by a Bryston 4B-ST. I have an RS SPL meter and an AVIA calibration disk.

Thanks,
Wayne

(also posted on AVS)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
...having never used an internal test-tone system, I can comment on experience with the Avia test disc.
I also felt my CC-370 sounded "closed in" or muffled sitting atop the entertainment center tho angled down. (I also run an outboard Anthem with my Yamaha.)
In Avia's Verification/Evaluation section, there is Pink Noise Match of CC. The test tone switches back and forth between Left Main and Center. I cud hear the "HISSS" -"hisss" pattern not timbre matching.
While this is playing, I go into the Yamaha's Center EQ section and start experimenting. I boosted one notch (+1dB) at 300Hz, 1kHz and 3 kHz. This then sounds "matching." I haven't spent a lot more time with this, but it seems to get me in the ball park.
(Ovation's Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc does not offer this particular main/center matching test.)
bill
p.s. Wayne, what's your take on biwiring the Paradigms? I've gone both ways and now have the plates back in...shrug

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill.
I tried the Avia disk today. I just find it hard to tell what's happening with the tone of the pink noise when adjusting a single band. There must be a better way.

I haven't tried biwiring the speakers. I can't see how there could possibly be a benefit.

Wayne

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Since we're talking about center speakers, have you even seen Guy Kuo's hyper-accurate center spkr phase adjustment tip in archives HERE using the SPL meter?
I ended up with my center adjusted to 5ms delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks