What's new

What is that little white stuff I always remove from raw eggs?? (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I know we all do it. I've seen it done in restaurants when they cook in front of you. But why?

I was cooking scrambled eggs the other morning, and asked my "assistant" to help break some eggs for me. Then I told her to make sure she removes that little white stringy looking thing before she starts whipping them up, and she asked what was it. ?????? I dont know!! Membrane?? I have no idea. And is is bad for you? Does it make the egg taste bad?

I know someone knows the answer....

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I know the name of it and know it's made of egg whites but I still remove the damn things too.:)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
It's not the end of an egg, it's the beginning of a chicken.

It's Hen Cum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with respect to George Carlin

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - that's a great Yolk Yoke Joke. :D

Yolk Yoke!!
Who's There?
Chalazae (kuh-LAY-zee)
Chalazae Who?
I'm too Chalazae to hold the yolk in place, so I used guy wires.

wendyD

Auditioning
Real Name
wendy dethloff
]So is it kinda' like an umbilical cord for the baby bird and the yolk is the food source for the growing chick? Oh and I won't eat eggs because of these white strands. I will remove the strands if I have to use eggs when baking.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
these old threads never fail to get me - for a minute there I thought Mark Hastings was posting again....

and for the record....Chalazae....they're delicious!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Some of these make me wonder what people were searching for when they find these old threads, and why they were prompted to sign up to respond!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
wendyD said:
]So is it kinda' like an umbilical cord for the baby bird and the yolk is the food source for the growing chick? Oh and I won't eat eggs because of these white strands. I will remove the strands if I have to use eggs when baking.
If you're even going to consider eating an object that was expelled from a chicken's anus, I'd think the little white strand inside is irrelevant.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Malcom - thanks for reminding me of the duality of that orifice. I hate you for that.....

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Simplest answer somebody gave is it's the umbilical cord from the white to the yolk. If your making a cake or something that calls for mixed eggs, or just making scrambled eggs, simple put your eggs through a strainer, it will stay behind. I've made hard and soft boiled eggs and never seen it, must get absorbed somehow. Heavy beating like using a blender will also obliterate it. If your eggs are getting old or you leave them on the counter for a few days before using, it tends to become much softer and may actually dissolve when cooking so you'll never notice it. Anyhow, it's completely harmless, maybe a litt yucky looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks