What's new

What if I can't match the center anymore? (1 Viewer)

Sheila

Auditioning
I need to replace two old Marantz floor speakers (one is blown). I have a fairly new center (Infinity CC-2) and sub (BU-120). The surrounds are also fairly new and they are installed in the ceiling. I don't recall the make (they were purchased with the house), but I know that they are NOT Infinity. Here is my question: I know the goal is to match speakers, but since I already have a bit of a "mismatch", what advice can you give me as to what I should be looking for in new mains? I prefer towers, and am on a budget ($300 to $400 for the pair). Thanks for your help!
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I would try to match the front soundstage(the L,C,R speakers). So I would go with a matching set of infinity speakers for the L/R if you can still find them. What matched up with the C2, the RS2000.3 and 2000.4?

To further match the surrounds to the front 3...you could consider adding a 2-5 channel EQ down the road.

TV

Sheila

Auditioning
Thanks TV! Are RS2000.3 & RS2000.4 infinity speaker models. Where did you get those numbers, are they current models? Maybe I should contact Infinity directly?
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Search Ebay for Infinity, you'll likely see a few of those..

Good Luck

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Infinity had a model line that went from rs2000.1 to 2000.6 I believe. The matching center channel to these models was either the CC-2 or the CC-3. I set up a HT a few years ago that had the 2000.6/CC-3 combo and it sounded great.

I doubt you'll be able to find these without turning over a few stones now...they are outdated by 2 model lines I believe. If you decide it's not worth the hassle, you can put the CC-2 in the closet for now(or sale it outright) and look for 3 new speakers(front left,center,front right).

I would check out the Swan Divas if you do begin shopping,they seem like amazing cost/performance values.

TV

RichardH

Supporting Actor
The RS-3 was a large bookshelf speaker that matched up with the CC-3. The RS-2 was a normal sized bookshelf speaker that matched up with your CC-2.
It will be pretty hard to find a pair of RS-2 to match your center, and IMO, not really worthwhile. With a decent (neutral) pair of fronts properly calibrated, you'll probably very rarely hear timbre mismatching on program material. Maybe you could hear it on pink noise calibrations, but who listens to pink noise anyway? :D
IMO, I would decide where you would like to be in a year or two with respect to your equipment, and purchase those mains. Later you can get the matching center. Matching up the rears is much less critical so you could put that off.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Have you called Marantz and seen if replacement drivers are available? How blown is the speaker? (usually it's just the tweeter?) I would take it out with a screwdriver first before spending $$$ replacing both my mains... (this is assuming you liked the Marantz's in the first place)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks