What's new

What happens to all of the equipment you test? (1 Viewer)

Bob_Williamson

Auditioning
Just curious how it works. I am assuming the hardware/DVDs etc are donated by teh companies for review. What happens to it all after the review is complete?
I know someone who woudl gladly take some used, donated equipment off of your hands :) (me).
Cheers,
Bob

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Bob. The magazine's editorial staff is still at CES, but I can answer this one. Nearly all test units sent out to the A/V magazines are returned to the manufacturers (or the manufacturers' distributors) after an agreed-to period (usually several weeks to several months). On rare occasions, a magazine writer may be so smitten by a piece of gear that he or she will buy the test unit (at a discount, of course).

In very rare cases, equipment to be used as a reference standard may be left with a magazine on a long-term, indefinite basis (The Absolute Sound magazine held on to the continually updated, $60,000 Infinity Reference Standard speaker system for more than a decade, for example).

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
;) Actually that is not all together true...allow me to shed some light here... Firstly, most writers in the C/E publishing business don't make enough money to afford even accommodation pricing. In which case they have been known to hoard pricey gear for extended periods of time...then mysteriously disappear of the face of the earth never to surface again--I can think of a few people I wish this was the case with. :) Actually, Jack is right on the money for the most part...but what I'm talking about is also a reality.

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Jack I was just on the phone with Terry today complimenting you on your obvious "inside" knowledge of the publishing business and the people who work in it...kudos. Now if you'll excuse me I was in the middle of counting my money. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks