What's new

What happened to the Paramount release list thread? (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Ronald posted a Paramount's distributer release list through mid 2002 last week. Now that post seems to be dead. I can search for it but the link is dead.
Was that something we were not supposed to see?
Just curious,
Joel

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's the "dead" link, in case anyone's curious:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/032269.html
I have a printout of the original post, if anyone has a specific question. Cheers,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Given how large that thread got so quickly, I rather suspect that it just died, in a similiar way to the Phantom Menace thread had to be restarted a few times at one point. If you've not done so, the right place to ask is over in Forum Feedback.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Conspiracy!
haha. Seriously though, they'd better not mess with Bad News Bears. It's a classic and nothing in it needs to be removed or dubbed over.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The short story is that it was poor judgement
on my part to post that list.
Paramount politely asked me to remove it.
I cannot control what people do outside of
this forum, but I would like to politely ask
that none of that information be posted here
on anywhere else on the internet. That list
was never intended to be broadcast.
Thank You
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sure, Ron...we understand these things.
Perhaps instead of "slipping in (or out) a change underneath our radar", you could post a separate thread next time explaining what's going on. Then we won't all wonder and take up bandwidth posting the "what's up with that?" questions. :)
Everyone makes mistakes, and if you made one posting that list (which personally I saw nothing wrong with; it was an excellent heads-up that couldn't really generate bad buzz exept through omission...i.e., people complained about what WASN'T on the list) then we're all adults and can understand that you have to do your best to correct it.
We all WANT you to remain friends with Paramount, and with Martin Blythe, so we get the benefits along the lines of that list. WHEN Paramount is good and ready for us to have them. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

bill lopez

Second Unit
Hey Paramount! By me viewing that list of dvd's coming out it will help me and many others I'm sure to save up money in these hard times to spend on your product. It helps to know what's coming so I can budget.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I agree. The list does help me decide what to buy and when. I know where my money's going the week of my birthday (Feb. 11). :)
I personally saw quite a bit on the list that I liked. I can only imagine what Paramount's going to give us in the second half of the year. Hopefully a couple of DVDs labled "Director's Cut". :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,
Most studios give you almost 2 full months
notice (if not more) heads up on new release
news. I would think this is more than enough
time to budget your DVD purchases.
What was posted was not intended for public
broadcast.
As far as Saturday Night Fever and Grease
is concerned, it is apparent that neither film
is on the release schedule for next year, at
least, through mid-2002.
I seriously doubt we are going to see either
film anytime soon since both are being held up
in legal limbo.
I do wish that Paramount would actively do what
they can to secure the DVD rights to both these
films. They are amongst the highest requested
titles from that studio, and it has been such a
long wait to see these titles released. I love what
the studio has done for this forum, but I will
be the first to speak out that I don't think the
studio has done enough to get these two titles out.
Surely Paramount can start clearing the way to
negotiate the rights for DVD release.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

bill lopez

Second Unit
Sorry Ron, but 2 months are NOT enough time when you want to use online coupons. I wrote down that list and now I will be able to use coupons to make orders strategically.
Paramount should be glad that we are going to make sure that we do everything possiable to buy thier dvds.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Paramount should be glad that we are going to make sure that we do everything possiable to buy thier dvds.
Of course, if anyone from another studio sees the list, they are going to make sure that they do everything possible to make sure you DON'T buy Paramount's DVDs.

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see why the studios (Paramount in this case) is so worried that the general public will know the release dates. I think that it just helps get the excitement level up which should eventually turn into sales numbers. What do these guys have to hide?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: Sorry Ron, but 2 months are NOT enough time when you want to use online coupons[/quote]You cannot even pre-order the titles until the official announcement, so how could you use an on-line coupon? Paramount's position makes sense, especially since everything is tentative until it is announced and people will accuse them of reneging if anything gets deleted or moved back.
Also, Martin is not shy about letting us know what is tentatively on the schedule for a given year or "half-year", so I am not too worried about the flow of information in that regard.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 31, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

bill lopez

Second Unit
I wonder if they plan on releasing them in Pan&Scan Full screen and don't want a situation like the Willy Wonka problem Warner Bros. had.

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad I had a chance to see that list, and marked down several titles that I am looking forward to purchasing. Yes it does take me a while to save up on some purchases, and the more time I have, the more I can save. In this case, if I know Studio X is releasing something, say in May and I want it, I can start saving early, or put the title on my radar. I know I want it and I'll take some steps to ensure I've got funds to buy the title in May.
Now let's say Studio Y then announces in March a title that I want as well for a May release. Now comes the hard part, do I buy Studio X, or I buy Studio Y, or maybe I'll buy both, or none. Yeah, like I'm not gonna buy anything. :) Well if anything I am more likely to buy both. Why? Well I've known about Studio X's release since October, and have been saving up for it. The annoucement of Studio Y, just makes me think of how much more I need to save, and it might not be that much more.
However, if both studio's announce around about the same time, then I have to save up more, and I'd be more inclined to purchase one over the other and not both.
So what I'm trying to say is that the more time I know that a title is coming out, the better. I have more choice and if it's something that I want, I'll be ready to buy on release date. If I don't have enough time, then there is more competition for my dollar and there's more of a chance of that purchasing dollar to go somewhere else. This is just my own situation.
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

DanR

Supporting Actor
Oh C'mon guys. This is not that big of a deal. Are you really putting $1 in your "piggy bank" every week, and saving for 25 weeks to be able to afford a DVD?
If your finances are really that tight where you need to plan months in advance, you could devise a plan or two like the follwing:
1.)Use a rolling quarter "average" of how much you spend on DVDs. Have that amount in a "pot" that you use to buy DVDs
2.)Due to the fact that this is a seasonal business, you could save the amount for the coming months equal to what you spent in the same period one year ago.
One of those two methods, or some combination therof, should be a simple solution if you need to save and budget for your DVD purchases.
I think this complaining is just more whining that we might not be able to see the release dates ahead of time in the future.
Regards,
Dan

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Is it any wonder Paramount (or any other studio) doesn't want their schedule published? The thread was quickly turning whiny with comments like:
"Why are they releasing ZZZZ when they still haven't released YYYY yet?"
"Hey, we all voted for XXXX and I don't see it on their schedule. Why aren't they listening?"
"Do they really think there's a market for MMMM?"
"A lot of uninteresting titles. Nothing there I'd buy"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks