What happened to the Paramount release list thread?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Fontenot, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Ronald posted a Paramount's distributer release list through mid 2002 last week. Now that post seems to be dead. I can search for it but the link is dead.
    Was that something we were not supposed to see?
    Just curious,
    Joel

2. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Also curious as dealers sent same list out to customers.
    Where is the thread?????

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Given how large that thread got so quickly, I rather suspect that it just died, in a similiar way to the Phantom Menace thread had to be restarted a few times at one point. If you've not done so, the right place to ask is over in Forum Feedback.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Anyone find out what happened to this yet?? Weird.
    Jeff

6. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

Conspiracy!
    haha. Seriously though, they'd better not mess with Bad News Bears. It's a classic and nothing in it needs to be removed or dubbed over.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The short story is that it was poor judgement
    on my part to post that list.
    Paramount politely asked me to remove it.
    I cannot control what people do outside of
    this forum, but I would like to politely ask
    that none of that information be posted here
    on anywhere else on the internet. That list
    was never intended to be broadcast.
    Thank You
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Sure, Ron...we understand these things.
    Perhaps instead of "slipping in (or out) a change underneath our radar", you could post a separate thread next time explaining what's going on. Then we won't all wonder and take up bandwidth posting the "what's up with that?" questions. [​IMG]
    Everyone makes mistakes, and if you made one posting that list (which personally I saw nothing wrong with; it was an excellent heads-up that couldn't really generate bad buzz exept through omission...i.e., people complained about what WASN'T on the list) then we're all adults and can understand that you have to do your best to correct it.
    We all WANT you to remain friends with Paramount, and with Martin Blythe, so we get the benefits along the lines of that list. WHEN Paramount is good and ready for us to have them. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

9. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Hey Paramount! By me viewing that list of dvd's coming out it will help me and many others I'm sure to save up money in these hard times to spend on your product. It helps to know what's coming so I can budget.

10. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

I agree. The list does help me decide what to buy and when. I know where my money's going the week of my birthday (Feb. 11). [​IMG]
    I personally saw quite a bit on the list that I liked. I can only imagine what Paramount's going to give us in the second half of the year. Hopefully a couple of DVDs labled "Director's Cut". [​IMG]

11. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone tell me when to expect Sat. Night Fever and Grease. These are my top two anticipated DVDS.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Guys,
    Most studios give you almost 2 full months
    notice (if not more) heads up on new release
    news. I would think this is more than enough
    time to budget your DVD purchases.
    What was posted was not intended for public
    broadcast.
    As far as Saturday Night Fever and Grease
    is concerned, it is apparent that neither film
    is on the release schedule for next year, at
    least, through mid-2002.
    I seriously doubt we are going to see either
    film anytime soon since both are being held up
    in legal limbo.
    I do wish that Paramount would actively do what
    they can to secure the DVD rights to both these
    films. They are amongst the highest requested
    titles from that studio, and it has been such a
    long wait to see these titles released. I love what
    the studio has done for this forum, but I will
    be the first to speak out that I don't think the
    studio has done enough to get these two titles out.
    Surely Paramount can start clearing the way to
    negotiate the rights for DVD release.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

13. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Sorry Ron, but 2 months are NOT enough time when you want to use online coupons. I wrote down that list and now I will be able to use coupons to make orders strategically.
    Paramount should be glad that we are going to make sure that we do everything possiable to buy thier dvds.

14. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

15. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I don't see why the studios (Paramount in this case) is so worried that the general public will know the release dates. I think that it just helps get the excitement level up which should eventually turn into sales numbers. What do these guys have to hide?

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    quote: Sorry Ron, but 2 months are NOT enough time when you want to use online coupons[/quote]You cannot even pre-order the titles until the official announcement, so how could you use an on-line coupon? Paramount's position makes sense, especially since everything is tentative until it is announced and people will accuse them of reneging if anything gets deleted or moved back.
    Also, Martin is not shy about letting us know what is tentatively on the schedule for a given year or "half-year", so I am not too worried about the flow of information in that regard.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 31, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

17. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I wonder if they plan on releasing them in Pan&Scan Full screen and don't want a situation like the Willy Wonka problem Warner Bros. had.

18. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad I had a chance to see that list, and marked down several titles that I am looking forward to purchasing. Yes it does take me a while to save up on some purchases, and the more time I have, the more I can save. In this case, if I know Studio X is releasing something, say in May and I want it, I can start saving early, or put the title on my radar. I know I want it and I'll take some steps to ensure I've got funds to buy the title in May.
    Now let's say Studio Y then announces in March a title that I want as well for a May release. Now comes the hard part, do I buy Studio X, or I buy Studio Y, or maybe I'll buy both, or none. Yeah, like I'm not gonna buy anything. [​IMG] Well if anything I am more likely to buy both. Why? Well I've known about Studio X's release since October, and have been saving up for it. The annoucement of Studio Y, just makes me think of how much more I need to save, and it might not be that much more.
    However, if both studio's announce around about the same time, then I have to save up more, and I'd be more inclined to purchase one over the other and not both.
    So what I'm trying to say is that the more time I know that a title is coming out, the better. I have more choice and if it's something that I want, I'll be ready to buy on release date. If I don't have enough time, then there is more competition for my dollar and there's more of a chance of that purchasing dollar to go somewhere else. This is just my own situation.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

19. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Oh C'mon guys. This is not that big of a deal. Are you really putting $1 in your "piggy bank" every week, and saving for 25 weeks to be able to afford a DVD?
    If your finances are really that tight where you need to plan months in advance, you could devise a plan or two like the follwing:
    1.)Use a rolling quarter "average" of how much you spend on DVDs. Have that amount in a "pot" that you use to buy DVDs
    2.)Due to the fact that this is a seasonal business, you could save the amount for the coming months equal to what you spent in the same period one year ago.
    One of those two methods, or some combination therof, should be a simple solution if you need to save and budget for your DVD purchases.
    I think this complaining is just more whining that we might not be able to see the release dates ahead of time in the future.
    Regards,
    Dan

20. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Is it any wonder Paramount (or any other studio) doesn't want their schedule published? The thread was quickly turning whiny with comments like:
    "Why are they releasing ZZZZ when they still haven't released YYYY yet?"
    "Hey, we all voted for XXXX and I don't see it on their schedule. Why aren't they listening?"
    "Do they really think there's a market for MMMM?"
    "A lot of uninteresting titles. Nothing there I'd buy"