What's new

What goes on at those "airline clubs" at the airport? (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
You know, the ones that VIP members get to hang out in before their flights - while the rest of us wait at the gate like refugees.

I volunteered to get bumped on a flight, and I asked for a pass to the "Admirals Club" but I was denied.

So what goes on there - Wild Drunken Orgies? Animal Sacrifices? Satanic Rituals? Tijuana Donkey Show? A S&M Dungeon? Kegstands? Opium Den?

Tell me, I'm dying to find out. Personally, I picture it to be like the "party" that Tom Cruise went to in Eyes Wide Shut.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Prepare to be very disappointed. It is just a bunch of heavy fliers (sometimes literally) who spend an awful lot of time traveling. They're like a restaurant lounge with some snacks, drinks and a nicer place to sit while waiting for your next flight. A bunch of guys in suits on cell phones or working on their computers.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have to differ with my friend John--After many years of flying all over the world, I can reveal that your suspicions are correct, but limited.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I recently had the good fortune to enter the "inner sanctum" (flew somewhere on work, hence got business class, which I can't afford myself). Basically what John said; one nice additional touch is that shower facilities are available, which were quite useful for me since I'd checked out of my hotel shortly after lunch but the flight was at 10pm, so it was nice to be able to wash off the day's grime before getting onto a 12-hr flight home.

Even then, there's a distinction between the business-class lounge and the first-class lounge, which obviously I've never seen. I wonder if it's like that episode of Fraiser which I just saw (we're rather late) where Frasier and Niles sneak into a very exclusive spa, only to find that it is merely "silver level" and there is a "gold level" which they were initially denied access to; having somehow managed to get invited into "gold", they then think there's a "platinum door"...

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I flew with my old man to Arizona last year for a vacation and I was able to see the "inner sanctum" as Yee-Ming put it. Its a hell of alot better than sitting at the terminal. Nice big leather chairs, free food and drinks and big tvs. He talks on his cellphone but I dont beleive he puts on his suit untill he gets to his hotel.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
It's all about alcohol. I've been in both first class and airline club lounges and the common thread is that they keep you heavily sedated with alcohol.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I've been lucky to see a few of these inner sanctums. Some are quite plush and have some really great open bars. Some are also very crowded and you're lucky to find a seat. One of the nicest I've been in was the Northwest lounge in Detroit, which is one of their hubs. One of the worst was also Northwest at DC's National Airport. The most convenient one I've been to was Air France's in Dulles airport. When it is time to board, they route you through a separate jetway to the front of the plane while the masses are boarding elsewhere. A friend of mine who always flys business class on business tells me that the Virgin Atlantic lounge at London's Heathrow comes close to being a heavenly experience.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money."

"Well, not all chicks."

"Well, the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Hmmm. Either they play opera in the VIP lounge, or somebody is still on the "two chicks at one time" thing and isn't sure how to spell "fellatio". :)

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I figured it was a reference to some film I'm not familiar with. I was just having fun. (Although now I'm curious how Beethoven's opera figures in Mullholland Drive. :))

Regards,

Joe

Marianne

Supporting Actor
The British Airways lounge at Heathrow Airport, London, must be good because Snoop Dogg and his entourage got into a fight with police when they were denied access!

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
The first rule of the ADMIRALS CLUB.

"YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE ADMIRALS CLUB":)

Just kidding. I was Lucky enough that My dad worked for American Air Lines for 25 Years. Since I tuned the age that I was able to travel on my own 10-12 I would hangout in the admirals Club before my flight.

Think of it as a Really nice Lobby at a really nice Hotel. Nice Chairs, Bar ( I did that when I got Older) Show Shine ( a Must ) Coffee, Donuts and a place to put your Bags without havingto worry about them.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
My grandfather told me that anyone who enters the "inner sanctum" never really returns. And, the people that are seen leaving are actually Aliens disguising themselves as humans.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
That's right, sir. That is the password...

for admittance. But may I ask, what is the password...

for the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks