What's new

What goes on at those "airline clubs" at the airport? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Really, showers??

I'm not so sure how comfortable I'd feel showering in an airport...

In fact, I have to wonder what anyone with enough time to take a shower between flights, is doing sitting in an airport terminal anyway?

Is it like a highschool lockerroom setup, or do they have exclusive individual rooms?

I bet the shower thing doesn't get used too often...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
There is a small place in the airport in Oahu, Hawaii that charges a small fee for a shower and also another small fee for a bed. And it's just that, a real simply bed and a bathroom next door. I used it when my sister and I went to Hawaii and had a day to explore the place before flying to Kuaui. We hiked at Diamond Head and then stayed at the place in the airport and got a shower and a bed.

Jay

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A large part of business travel involves waiting in airport terminals. For example, Detroit to Singapore involves a change in (usually) Narita and as long haul international flights don’t leave every half hour, one often as a significant wait. An d as it is often the case that you have left a meeting or conference and gone straight to the airport, a shower after a day’s work and a 6 to 8 hour flight that is going to be followed by a 12 hour flight is welcome.

Or Adelaide to Dallas, involving changes in Sydney and LA. Or (in the early 90s) Dallas to Buenos Aries with often a long wait in Miami.

The glamour of some of this fades rapidly.

Jason L.

Second Unit
In an amazing coincidence to the thread I started, American Airlines is running promotions for the 25th Anniversary of their Advantage Miles Program. [They were the first airline to start a milage program]. Every day, they have a different special [although most of these suck].

Today only - May 17th, if you buy a one-day pass to the Admirals Club for $50, they will give you another one-day pass for free.

So, I bought a pass for my trip from DFW back to Frankfurt, figuring to get completely loaded on my way back to Afghanistan. Now I am looking at the website and I see that alcoholic beverages are not complimentary.

What's the point of paying $50 and pay for drinks when I can sit in an airport bar for free and pay for drinks?

I've been bamboozled!

P.S. I was told to bring a black costume and a mask. I was also given a secret password that I forgot. Something in Italian - Felicity, Fidelity, Fiduciary, or something or other.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Exactly! And wait until you see all the lamps in the club. Let's just say they're...um...shapely.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the explanations provided, transit at an airport is not an authorization to enter the country in question.

--
H

Jason L.

Second Unit
Well, here is my report for the American Airlines Admirals club at DFW in Terminal D on 7/17/2006 that I paid $50 for a day pass [a free second voucher for a later date was given in this special deal].

I got there hours before my flight to Frankfurt. The club was very spacious and impressive. It had almost every amenity available. Bar with food service [complimentary non-alcoholic drinks], PCs with Internet access, showers, TV room [flat-screen], plenty of seating, separate smokers lounge so I don't have to get lung cancer, separate family area, free newspapers, coffee, pretzels, telephones, super-clean bathrooms, cocktail service, cubicles for businessmen, and a beautiful view of the flight-line.

There was wireless access for PCs, but I think that you need an account with T-Mobile for that. EVERYONE seemed to be busy on their laptops. It was kind of sad to see these poor worker bees trying to be productive 24x7.

The BEST thing about the club were these reclining leather chairs [almost 180 degrees], with a big leather ottoman. It was SO DAMN COMFORTABLE. I'm not one that is able to just fall asleep anywhere, but it was so plush that I found myself falling asleep almost immediately.

The strange thing was that there wasn't a monitor listing the flight arrivals and departures that I could find in there. Maybe I missed it. Another thing I saw were several military members in the club. I assume that they are allowed in for free - if that is true then I give kudos to American Airlines.

There are two reasons I would assume that the club was so nice: DFW is American's headquarters, and Terminal D is almost brand new.

So, is it worth the money? If you had a LONG stopover, then it might be worth it to get some rest, shower, relax, and check the Internet. Otherwise, then it would probably not be worth it.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Fly 12 hours, have a 6 hr. layover and then get on another 12 hour flight and wonder why there are showers. Trust me, the shower is a godsend. Frankfurt airport has them for $6 and they are worth every penny. Yes, you have a personal bathroom space behind a closed door (shower, toilet, sink). In Frankfort's case it's worth it to not have to wait in line for the regular bathroom (the airport is massively overcrowded).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks