What's new

What games have you regretted buying lately? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Since I started playing games again about 1 year ago, I can honestly say I only feel I've wasted my money twice:
1) Solider of Fortune 2: Double Helix
An absolute disaster of a game for me. I found this so frustratingly bad, that I stopped playing after maybe 2 hours and never went back. All FPS games are linear. But this is sooo linear it had me wincing with irritation. I cheated to check out some of the later levels and it really didn't get any better. :angry: Didn't like the character models, atrocious level design (the screenshots looked so good! :frowning:), bad sound effects, irritatingly repetitive enemy taunts and the most ridiculously crap stealth-mode A.I. I've ever encountered. A mistake.
Still haven't bothered getting rid of my copy. Anyone who wants it can have it for minimal cost.
2) Pikmin
Nowhere near as annoying a purchase as SOF2DH, I bought this with my Cube. There wasn't really anything else I wanted, and it looked cool, and came from the king game producer. I enjoyed it for a while, and I liked the 'cuteness' of it, but it got old very fast, and I never felt compelled to finish it. Certainly not a bad game, but not as magical as the other Cube titles I own.
So, what have you guys regretted spending your green on?

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
SoF2 has some of the BEST multiplayer gaming ever. After playing it MP, I never even bothered to play SP.

As far as the graphics in SoF2, do you have a decent PC? I crank all details up and it's one of the best looking games out there. Well, it was until UT2K3 came out.

I do agree with you about the AI though. The jungle level is annoying since the enemy always can always (it seems) see you and kill you. Other than that, I thought it was a very good game.

As far as games I regret buying?

Any game that doesn't have some sort of MP aspect included with it. I'm recently finding out that if a game doesn't have MP in it, in some way shape or form, even it is a great game, I won't buy it.

I'm hoping I won't feel this way about NOLF2 over the next few weeks...

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Medal of Honor said:
The one example that springs to mind was a train level, where you've got to get into a warehouse, and get by a guard standing at the only door. I stood outisde for ages trying to figure out a way in, and I couldn't find one. In the end I decided to just go for the door, hugging the wall, but nevertheless having to walk straight in front of the guard. HE DIDN'T SEE ME!!! I almost punched the screen. Mind-bogglingly bad A.I. That's probably the only time I've been pissed off at being able to complete a task. ;)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Lots of regrets lately - Kingdom Hearts & Resident Evil are the main offenders though. I just can't get into the story & care about the characters of Kingdom Hearts. The control scheme of Resident Evil doesn't stand up well over time. Combine that with the deja vu through the entire game, and it ends up on my regret list.

I suspect that Timesplitters 2 may be added to the list. Everything is just too disjointed for my taste. It feels like a demo disc of 10 different FPS games, each using the same engine.

-Dave

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Unreal Tournament 2003 is the most recent flop for me. It's a bad QuakeIII imitator that completely eschews every element that made the original Unreal Tournament a great game. An absolute waste of time (but the graphics are VERY nice).

Andre F

Screenwriter
Not much on my list lately. Although, I end up with a lot of games I don't finish...

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Of late, I'd say only Super Mario Sunshine. Something just didn't click with this game for me. It was very repititious and frustrating to me. For a while I was regretting SOCOM but I really enjoy the multiplayer now that it seems to work properly most of the time.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Madden 2003. I promised myself I would stick to NCAA Football 2003 as my only fb game this year. Then I happened upon a network adapter, and thought Madden Online would steal away my life. I have played 2 games total, and haven't touched it in weeks. Anyone want to trade Kingdom Hearts or Star Fox Adventures for it?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Yea you can add me to that mario list too. Not a bad game but a rental would have been just fine.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Hitman 2, I just don't have the patience to play a game like that. Hopefullly Spinter Cell will be more action oriented.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
For my console's it would have to be Eternal Darkness. I couldn't even finish it, I was so bored.

For the pc, it would be UT2003. Had fun for a couple of days, but the thrill of the pretty graphics wore off in a hurry.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Forgot about one. Eternal Darkness for me as well. I bought it back in June, played through it(although for a while I was considering just selling it without finishing it) really was bored and uninterested in it so I got rid of it. As far as Mario, it wasn't so much the platform dynamics of the game that I didn't like (although some of the jumps were insanely difficult even with the waterpack) but rather how you would play the same "area" a bunch of different times doing different things each time. Just felt repetitive to me.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Super Monkey Ball 2.
It was supposed to be this fun game, and it ended up being hair-pullingly frustrating. Even the party mode games were way too hard.
It could be that I just suck, that's always a possibility. Ask anyone who's seen me play SOCOM. (Although I have TONS more fun playing SOCOM than I did playing SMB2.)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Chris,
The consensus seems to be that the original Super Monkey Ball is actually better than the sequel. I have the first game and it's alot of fun but i've heard they screwed up many of the mini games in the sequel.

Mel_C

Auditioning
Gunmetal...

The biggest piece of crap ever. Tried to tie myself over before Robotech: Battlecry came out. I've only played the game twice and it's been on the shelf ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks