What's new

What Exactly Is Creme Brulee?? (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hope I spelled that right... at any rate, in the past day I've learned about absinthe & pastrami from HTF, so i thought I'd give this a try. ;) I know it's a dessert, but what exactly is it??

E

Eric Kahn

It is a custard with carmalized sugar on top

they take a bowl of custard, cover the top with sugar, get a propane torch and cook the sugar on top untill it turns brown, not bad but the flavor is subtle.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I thought it was all that extra crap that comes gushing out w/ a newborn, not including the newborn or placenta.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Adil,
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:laugh::laugh:
Creme Brule is my favorite desert. I've tried ginger, banana, coconut, pistachio(!), regular creme flavor.
You can even buy Creme Brule mix in the store, but it's [rant] not the same!! [/rant] Unless you have the blowtorch, there's no point in trying it that way. Sprinkling brown sugar on chilled flan or custard, then broiling the surface for a few minutes, will give you an approximation but nothing to write home about.
I remember when a friend tried Creme Brule for the first time, she was scraping her fork across the top, muttering, 'how do I eat this?' :)
Joseph

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I like creme brulee, but I like to give people a little background.:D
Creme brulee is not vanilla "pood'ing" and no creme brulee is not the excess cream flushed during the expulsion of a newborn.

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had a fantastic creme brule: pistachio with a chocolate layer at the bottom. Absolutely wonderful.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My experience with creme brulee was on the Disney Cruise Lines. I loved it. The top was like eating sugar flavored glass. Well, it was better than that sounds.

A cruise is a great place to sample all kinds of new and tasty foods. I tried several new things, including Cherry's Jubilee (not my fave) and a Chocolate Suflay (sp?). Man, that was good. My wife tried Escargot. She didn't like it. But that's the great thing about a cruise. If you don't like it, they bring you something else! All at the same price!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sherry Yard, the dessert chef for Spago (the old location on Sunset Blvd) made a wonderful creme brulee. She would enclose it in its own, completely edible, caramelized shell. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Isn't it a lotion you can pick-up at Victoria Secrets?
Peace Out~:D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks for all the answers, guys (except for Ron & Adil ;) )!
Was this post in any way inspired by the film "Amelie"?
Well, I remember being curious about it when watching Amelie, but immediate inspiration is a trip I'm taking tomorrow with a friend. We're weekending on the San Antonio Riverwalk to enjoy the Christmas lights. The restaurant we've chosen for dinner tomorrow (Boudro's) has a creme brulee with blueberries on their dessert menu. I love blueberries, was just wondering what else I'd get when I ordered it!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
You don't need a blow torch to caramalise the sugar coating - that's an affectation of TV chefs. You can get the same effect if you have a very hot grill (the traditional way to do it).

Incidentally, a 'proper' creme brulee ('burnt cream') is a simple mix of eggs, cream and sugar. Flavoured concoctions, no matter how nice (and I grant you, some of them are wonderful) aren't creme brulees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks