What's new

What does XBR stand for? (1 Viewer)

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard various things about what XBR is, from eXtra bass response to eXtra bright resolution . . . both sound pretty phony to me. Anyway, does anyone know what this means?

Brandon

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's not an abbreviation of anything; just a designation Sony has given its premium line of displays.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've got a KV25XBR (25" XBR set built in 1985) still going strong in my bedroom. It was made long before bitrate was a factor in home entertainment.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Companies sometimes "forget" whether abbreviations mean something and if so, what. When Windows NT came out, it was Windows New Technology. By the time Windows 2000 came out, nobody apparently cared as it proclaimed to be based on "Windows NT technology". Maybe somebody at Sony forgot when and how XBR came about and started referring to it as eXtended Bit Rate...

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Ken, good catch! Let's see, 4-5 years between the team came together and NT came out and they already forgot. It's probably impossible to guess what XBR meant close to 20 years ago :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jack's got it right, it stands for nothing. It's just like when some of the auto companies make up names & numbers for some of their models & that's probably where Sony got the idea for "XBR" in the first place. I can hear it now, The Mazda XBR :D Though some people have said it stands for Extra Brilliant Resolution or Extra Bright Resolution but thrir wrong.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To elaborate, many of these letter combinations are simply that: combinations and nothing else.

Honda's streetbikes have the apparent abbreviation "CBR" prior to the model number, as in CBR600Fi or CBR959RR. The "R" tends to be appended to models with racing aspirations, as do other manufacturers' models: Suzuki GSX-R1000R, Kawasaki ZX900R. But the "GSX" and the "ZX" and the "CB" do not stand for anything.

An abbreviation is not the same as an acronym, which is a pronouncable abbreviation (NASA, NOAA, etc.).

So, there's no "meaning" behind "XBR."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks