What's new

what does vhs stand for? (1 Viewer)

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
Originally VHS was a acronym for Video Helical Scan. After the formats sucsess Victor (JVC) decided to revoke the original meaning into something more marketable.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, could it because the video data is stored using a spinning head that records the frames almost vertically along the tape? And thats why you really need a tracking control?

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Remember when you were a kid, all your family had was a mono TV and a mono VCR. We go to the video rental store, rent a VHS tape. Pop it in. Then there's that "This film has been modified from its origional version. It has been formatted to fit this screen." message appears. We thought nothing of that message. I just had the "OK, Cool" message in my head. I thought nothing about it being cropped. Then we enjoyed watching 60% of the movie squawking through the little 3 inch mono speaker that's built into the TV.
Later, my grandma gave us her expensive $800 Magnavox HI FI VCR. After we got that, we still watched TV through the mono speaker. Then my dad swiped my stereo from my bedroom (because it had AUX in jacks) and hooked it up through the VCR. My mom and I didn't really care about the race cars flying through the house. I thought nothing of why there were 2 speakers. I started to like it and no longer used the mono speaker in the TV. The stereo sounded so much cleaner and crisper. We used other 2 Channel stereos, including a fake QUAD system that had front and rear jacks. It's fake because the voices also came outta the back speakers and the back speaker jacks are hooked up to the same jacks as the fronts. I had big computer speakers in the back that I have rewired. Later, my uncle gave us his old Passive KLH bass reflector subwoofer. To give it more power, I ditched the big huge speakers, and went to the smaller KLH speakers we had. That sounded a whole lot better. Later, my uncle brought me his Sherwood Pro Logic system. I hooked that up and OH WOW!!! MUCH BETTER SOUND!! And there's no voices coming outta the back either. It's the WAY it's supposed to BE!!!
Later on, I've been building a new computer. It's all built now. DVD ROM drive, Geforce 2 MX with TV OUT. It's hooked up to the system in the living room now. I use it to do stuff with. Then when I wanna watch a DVD, I kill all the apps, pop in a DVD, enable the TV OUT and relax in the living room. When I first got into DVD, I wondered about the black bars. Then I read that "Widescreen Presented in a "Letterbox" Widescreen format preserving the 2.35:1 "Scope" aspect ratio of its origional theatrical exhibition" on the back of my first DVD I bought. Jaws the Revenge. I looked up Letterbox on www.howstuffworks.com and completely fell in love with the letterbox format. Before that, I knew some about it. But, wanted to make sure. And yes, it was very true.
Now our VCR is basically collecting dust. I only use it to record my DVDs so I can watch them in the bedroom.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>> could it because the video data is stored using a spinning head that records the frames almost vertically along the tape?
No, in VHS the frames are recorded as diagonal parallel side by side stripes (tilted far from vertical), one field (half frame) per stripe.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks