What's new

What do you think is wrong (1 Viewer)

Jim_Lan

Agent
My DVD (Apex) is starting to act up. Couple years old and has always run great. Now, after it plays for a while it just dies.. The power light goes out, can even eject the DVD. Then after it sits for a few hrs things are ok. Any ideas what this could be.. Should I just head out to get a new one?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well - I can't help with your problem, but if it isn't under warranty, and it probably isn't, the way things are, it's cheaper to replace than repair.

JohnnyCorona

Agent
Its over heating. There is probably not much you can do. It will probably cost you more to repair it than to replace it. I would buy a new one.

Sorry,

John

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
A great excuse for a new player, as the fix for your Apex is likely more expensive than a new Apex.

I wish my television would die so I could convice the wife it's time for a Samsung DLP.

James

JohnnyCorona

Agent
you can make your TV Die, temporarily. Then after you buy a new TV sell your old TV on ebay, and tell your wife you took it to the dump. Then take the money you got for the TV and buy yourself something she doesnt know about.

Damn, I am good!

Johnny

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
Our story unfolds a few hours after James secretly removed the fuse from his circa 1993, 35" RCA television.....

"Oh no!", James said to his wife. "Honey, the tube must have finally died after all these years. Well, you know, it happens."

"Oh no!", said James' wife. "I was going to watch Paradise Hotel tonight in Logic 7 surround mode."

"Well, Let's go to Tweeter and see what they have in stock! If we get one of those new, ah, DLP televisions we can take it home and set it up ourselves!", said James with a grin.

Later that night, after Paradise Hotel, James' wife is getting ready for bed....

"James, honey, for some reason I really have a headache tonight. I think I'm going straight to bed. No playing around tonight, but I really like the new Samsung. Goodnight."

James stood there alone, staring at the gleaming, new DLP by his side. James thought to himself, "Damn, I knew I should have gone with LCD!" as he popped in T-2 (Extreme Edition) into his DVD player. "Oh, well. It's just me and you Arnie!"

John-Miles

Screenwriter
well..... you know if it really is overheating you could do some DIY and fix that problem, if its overheating then you just need to increase the ehat transfer, pop the case off and put a small fan behind it, trust me it will do wonders, wont be pretty, but it will keep it cool.

Jim_Lan

Agent
thanks. Yesterday I ran it for several hrs on CD's. Not too loud. No problem. Then when I played Matrix it died. I think the subwoofer is shaking it up... Maybe I can get Paradigm to pay for the new player..

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
I've been experiencing similar problems with my Panny RV41. The problem's really sporadic and unpredictable. It'll run fine for a couple of weeks, then BAM!... a movie will freeze up and I won't be able to eject the DVD without unplugging it overnight. I'm not sure if overheating is the issue, as the problem is very infrequent (but nonetheless very annoying). It can freeze up as early as 30 minutes or as late as 5 hours after being turned on. Like you Jim, it's never frozen up while playing an audio or MP3 CD, just during DVD movies.

In the past, I've not been crazy about replacing it, as my receiver is only 5.1-ready so I'm generally in need of a DVD player with built-in DD/DTS decoding. However, I'm getting a Midiland ADS 4000 outboard DD/DTS decoder through Ebay, so it looks like I can finally get away with buying pretty much any player I want now. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks