What do you recommend for must-have PalmOS software?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Aug 24, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I recently bought my first PDA, a PalmOS-based Sony Clie (615), and am slowly figuring it out. For those of you with a Palm-based PDA, are there any applications, free or commerical, that you've found particuarly useful, handy, or fun?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Well I just bought my wife a Clie PEG-SJ20. She really likes it so far. I've been educating myself on how to use it so I can teach her (she has a hard time getting through the manuals and prefers someone to walk her through it). I think I've been having more fun setting it up for her. [​IMG] It makes me want to go out and get another one for me.
    So, Dave, did you find anything useful? Anybody else have anything they'd suggest?
    She's using it primarily for the basic functions (calendar, to-do, memo, phone/address book) but I'd like to load some other stuff she might use/like. Any good games? What do you recommend for street map software?
    Free would be best [​IMG] , or inexpensive would be a close second.

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I use AportisDoc as my text reader. You can download books to read. I have Gabriel Garcia Marquez on my Palm Pilot. Did you know you can also download the complete Kama Sutra to your PDA? Minus the pictures, of course. iSilo is also a good text reader. I use an application called HandWrite, which lets me jot down notes in my own writing. I also use it to doodle. Very handy. Solitaire and Tetris to pass time in airports.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    - I use a password control tool called "STRIP", in which I have all kinds of passwords and account information that I don't (or can't) want to know by heart. Very useful for rarely used passwords. It's free, but there are plenty of other apps out there that do the same thing.
    - Then there is the all-purpose 'Converter' that converts length, weigth, temperature, etc between different systems.
    - I also have a tool called SilkyPad that allows me to enter numbers by just tapping on the number side of the entry field as if it's a numeric keypad.
    - 'Metro' is a nice app for which you can download station information for basically all major metro systems in the world.
    - And there is also 'Trekky', which has summaries of all ST:NG episodes [​IMG] [​IMG].
    -Christian

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm a big fan of Big Clock.

Also, I really do love AvantGo- I get CNN adn a dozen other channels downloaded everytime I sync. Lovely.

-Vince

7. Kenny West

Kenny West Auditioning

8. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I'll second the AvantGo Vince, I love that thing.
    Is there anything I can get that will enable me to read .pdf files on my Clie? There's no good roadmaps that include Calgary so I thought I'd download our transit map http://www.calgaryemaps.com/emaps/Tr...PDF/index.html because it's VERY detailed, store it on a mem stick and read it with Acrobat to go if there is such a thing. Suggestions?
    I also use Silver, but the big one is AvantGo
    Has anyone else found any more hidden gems?

9. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    This got more use than anything else on my Palm.

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    A friend of mine told me to get the lens cleaner wet wipes from Lenscrafters for $5 for cleaning the screen of my clie. They are non alcohol, non chemical. Are these good for cleaning the clie screen?

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Anyone have any suggestions for Movie listings programs? It seems "Showtimes" is defunct.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor