What's new

What do you recommend for must-have PalmOS software? (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well I just bought my wife a Clie PEG-SJ20. She really likes it so far. I've been educating myself on how to use it so I can teach her (she has a hard time getting through the manuals and prefers someone to walk her through it). I think I've been having more fun setting it up for her. :D It makes me want to go out and get another one for me.
So, Dave, did you find anything useful? Anybody else have anything they'd suggest?
She's using it primarily for the basic functions (calendar, to-do, memo, phone/address book) but I'd like to load some other stuff she might use/like. Any good games? What do you recommend for street map software?
Free would be best ;) , or inexpensive would be a close second.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I use AportisDoc as my text reader. You can download books to read. I have Gabriel Garcia Marquez on my Palm Pilot. Did you know you can also download the complete Kama Sutra to your PDA? Minus the pictures, of course. iSilo is also a good text reader. I use an application called HandWrite, which lets me jot down notes in my own writing. I also use it to doodle. Very handy. Solitaire and Tetris to pass time in airports.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Did you know you can also download the complete Kama Sutra to your PDA? Minus the pictures, of course
You can get it with pictures too. :) It's called Palma Sutra.
Here are my Clie must-haves:
WordSmith - Awesome word processor that syncs with Word...replaced the horrible built-in memo pad. Spell check & thesaurus included.
DateBK5 - The best calendar/schedule/organizer there is. So many features you could get lost in it for months. It replaced the built-in datebook.
Diddlebug - A free app that is very similar to the popular "BugMe". It basically lets you jot down quick notes and schedule alarm reminders.
SuperNames - A replacement contacts app. It is to phone contacts what DateBK5 is to organizers. The very best.
YiShow - A replacement launcher. This is a must have for hi-res Clie owners. You can totally change the way the OS works and how the user interface looks. Add skins & wallpaper to personalize your Clie.
JackFlash & JackSprat - Delete apps in ROM to gain extra memory. JackFlash then lets you save your apps to ROM.
MSDict - A dictionary program with great search features. It's also the best looking dictionary program out there. Allows you to store the dictionary database on your memory stick to save space.
NR Buttons - A hack for NR series Clies that allows quick launch icons stored on the "virtual graffitti".
TapPad - A hack that allows for much quicker text input...especially on virtual graffitti equipped NR models.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
- I use a password control tool called "STRIP", in which I have all kinds of passwords and account information that I don't (or can't) want to know by heart. Very useful for rarely used passwords. It's free, but there are plenty of other apps out there that do the same thing.
- Then there is the all-purpose 'Converter' that converts length, weigth, temperature, etc between different systems.
- I also have a tool called SilkyPad that allows me to enter numbers by just tapping on the number side of the entry field as if it's a numeric keypad.
- 'Metro' is a nice app for which you can download station information for basically all major metro systems in the world.
- And there is also 'Trekky', which has summaries of all ST:NG episodes :emoji_thumbsup: ;).
-Christian

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of Big Clock.

Also, I really do love AvantGo- I get CNN adn a dozen other channels downloaded everytime I sync. Lovely.

-Vince

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'll second the AvantGo Vince, I love that thing.
Is there anything I can get that will enable me to read .pdf files on my Clie? There's no good roadmaps that include Calgary so I thought I'd download our transit map http://www.calgaryemaps.com/emaps/Tr...PDF/index.html because it's VERY detailed, store it on a mem stick and read it with Acrobat to go if there is such a thing. Suggestions?
I also use Silver, but the big one is AvantGo
Has anyone else found any more hidden gems?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
A friend of mine told me to get the lens cleaner wet wipes from Lenscrafters for $5 for cleaning the screen of my clie. They are non alcohol, non chemical. Are these good for cleaning the clie screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks