What's new

What do I need to use a Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Mic with my sound card? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
What exactly do I need to use the Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Mic with my soundcard (with 3.5mm mic and line-in inputs)? I know it needs phantom power, but do I also need a mic preamp?

I'd like to keep this portable, so a battery powered solution would be preferred. I see lots of different boxes on ebay (phantom power, mic preamp, direct input), from really cheap to really expensive, but I'm not sure what exactly I need.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
All you need is phantom power, but the mic preamp built into most consumer/gamer oriented soundcards isn't so hot. I'm not sure just how much a "noisy" mic pre will affect callibration and analysis efforts (if any... really don't know).

And I haven't looked at the price differential between stand alone phantom power supplies and cheap mic pre's that supply phantom power, but if the difference is not that great it would probably be worth the extra to get an external preamp with phantom power and run that into the line input on your soundcard, thus bypassing the mic preamp built into the card.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
If you're really patient and attentive, you can sometimes get a real good deal on either a Samson mixpad or Behringer mixer on E-bay. Samson has a smaller mixpad (mixpad 4) that is battery-operable with phantom power.

RG

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I am presently using a Behringer SHARK preamp with my ECM8000 and it works just fine. I know that the SHARK has a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, but they can be easily defeated by reading the manual. The unit is small and easy to tuck out of the way. It can be found on eBay or at most of the online musical instrument stores.
Regards,
TCIII

BruceD

Screenwriter
If you want a battery operated mic-preamp that is a DIY project, look Link Removed

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
Johnathan

I am currently designing and will build a balanced in to line out mic preamp (complete with phantom power) for my ECM 8000 mic. The problem with a battery powered unit is that the mic's specification suggests phantom power between 15 and 48volt. This means +-9v and +18v or 3 9volt batteries. I am just laying out the pcb this week and i will gladly share my results.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks