What's new

What do I need to get this old record player to play (1 Viewer)

GabeJacobs

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabe Jacobs
I have an old record player, but I cant figure out what I need to plug it into in order to get it to play sound. Here is what it looks like:

And there are the cords that it has:

There are these two black and white cords and this red tiny U shaped cord. What do I need to get in order to get this to play? I assume that normal speakers wont support these funky cords...

Thanks,

Gabe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gabe:

Welcome to the HTF. I'm going to move your thread over to the Music forum where other people who use these "turntable" things hang out. I think there's a better chance you'll get more responses there.

The black and white cables are the left/right stereo outputs and the other lead is a "ground" connection.

You won't be able to hook those up solely to speakers to hear anything...you will need to pass that signal through an amplifier/receiver that has a phono input...or use a phono pre-amplifier. That's about the extent of my knowledge. I'll leave it to the experts to finish your lesson.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

erikduop

Auditioning
Real Name
erikduop
Thanks for sharing the useful information with all.That helped me a lot, it was all very specific.You have done an great job.Such an informative and well formed post!Thanks again for sharing that, it was wonderful of you.

http://www.downloadvlcplayer.org

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
As Mike stated you are going to have to find a receiver that has phono inputs on it. The ground wire needs to be attached to a ground on the receiver too otherwise you are probably going to get a lot of hum through your speakers.

I am sure there are manufacturers that still make receivers with phono inputs I just don't know any off the top of my head.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Or you can use any amplifier or receiver, and just get a small inexpensive phono preamp (search "phono preamp" on Amazon) to get started. You'll plug those stereo outputs into the preamp, then plug the preamp's outputs into any line-level input (CD, Aux, etc.) on your amp.

I don't know which model it is, but that's a belt-drive Bang & Olufsen turntable -- which, if it and the cartridge are in good condition, put you in great shape for getting started with records. Treat it nicely.

GabeJacobs

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabe Jacobs
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Or you can use any amplifier or receiver, and just get a small inexpensive phono preamp (search "phono preamp" on Amazon) to get started. You'll plug those stereo outputs into the preamp, then plug the preamp's outputs into any line-level input (CD, Aux, etc.) on your amp.

I don't know which model it is, but that's a belt-drive Bang & Olufsen turntable -- which, if it and the cartridge are in good condition, put you in great shape for getting started with records. Treat it nicely.

So is this basically all I need? http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291923513&sr=8-1-spell

do I need any chords to connect it to a stereo with aux

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Not so much. B&O turntable gear is notoriously proprietary, and parts are no longer available.

Assuming there is a functioning needle in that turntable, and that there is a working belt if it is belt drive, you'll need to plug those cables into the "Phono" input of some kind of stereo or home theater receiver. The "Phono" input will have a red/white left/right audio input and a little screw for the "ground" wire. If your stereo or home theater receiver does not have a "Phono" input you'll need a "Phono preamp". This http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PEQ3-Phono-preamplifier/dp/B001649QY0 is a good inexpensive option.

If the player doesn't spin the record you may need a new belt. Good luck. If the needle is worn or doesn't sound good you'll need a new needle. Again, good luck. If there isn't even a cartridge on the turntable you're hosed. B&O uses a proprietary cartridge system and nobody has manufactured anything compatible with that turntable for at least 15 years.

Some resources to try:

http://www.lpgear.com

http://www.needledoctor.com

And when you give up on the B&O but still want to spin records, here's your solution:

http://www.adorama.com/AUATLP120USB.html?utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_term=Other

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought it was odd that the tonearm was on the left-side of the player. I figured the image was reversed.

Is that one of the B&O "quirks?"

Does the needle have to sit in the "1 o'clock" position of the platter if we think of the part of the platter closest to us in the image as "6 o'clock?"

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
In my car I have a sort of slot just above where the display indicates the radio station. The slot is under 3 inches wide, and maybe a half an inch tall.

It is a little too small to put bread in, so it is not a toaster. (I tried.)

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks