What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
I was the right age to genuinely appreciate the first seasons of Quincy and get just old enough to feel that it was pretty cornball in its later seasons. Around 1990 friends and I got hooked on the reruns, again in the mid late 90's. Recently I've watched a few later years episodes and, though of a different flavor, they still hold up as eminently watchable and Klugman is never less than committed. Also, it could be argued that Klugman had the best rug in the business...he didn't seem to be trying to fool anyone as he would play roles without it, but it looked damn good! :)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Time for a new marathon spotlight!

View attachment 57509

Subject: Kathryn Hays, an actress that I suspect a lot of people were first introduced to thinking she couldn't talk. (simply because of her Star Trek appearance as the mute "Gem")

Hays was also amazing in the bittersweet Mr. Novak Season 1 episode, "One Way to Say Goodbye". Maybe it's mainly due to the hairstyle (and body language), but she bears a striking resemblance in this to Diana Rigg, during her "Emma Peel" days.

xLAWUa4.png

F5wSdok.png

iAqVnlx.png
Ht1IMh8.png

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mission:Impossible - Season 4
Robot (4.9) Lee Meriwether, Malachi Throne, Larry Linville, Jan Merlin, Vic Perrin. From IMDB: Premier Pavel Zagov's death has been covered up by Deputy Premier Gregor Kamirov. He is using an actor to take Zagov's place, and endorse Kamirov as his successor. The team convinces Kamirov that another official is planning a similar coup with the help of a lookalike mechanical Zagov. Led to believe that his co-conspirators are unreliable, Kamirov takes over the alternate (IMF provided) plan which ends with him exposing his deception on national television. Good use of Paris in this one as the "mechanical" man. Also nice use of old age make-up. Any excuse for Lee Meriwether to show her legs always rates high in my book. Nice one.

Mastermind (4.10) Donnelly Rhodes, Ben Wright, Paul Stewart, William Bryant. A syndicate leader has pertinent information on government leaders that could be used for blackmail purposes. A medical condition is faked and the con is on. Iron lung, stroke, ESP and mind transference are all used to inflame the rivalry between the syndicates No. 2 and No. 1. Well played episode.
NOTE: This is not the episode listed as number 10 in IMDB, but it is next on the thried disc.

The Brothers (4.11) Michele Carey, Lloyd Battista, Joseph Ruskin, Lee Bergere. A complex plan to create a medical problem in order to switch brothers. Fatal suffocation awaits the brother who is replaced. The underlying motivation is to replace a ruthless oil baron for one more sympathetic to the US. The greedy military advisor complicates things when there is a massive power failure. Sure did enjoy seeing Ms. Carey in this outing.

Time Bomb (4.12) Barbara Luna, Bert Freed, Morgan Sterne, William Hansen. Always racing the clock. A terminal double agent plots revenge against his target by planning a nuclear meltdown. Through another medical accident, time manipulation and a repertory company, the spy is convinced that he has minutes to avert the disaster before he is caught in the destruction. Jim and Barney go off script to figure out the proper sequence and save the day. Barbara Luna just gets to look gorgeous and seductive which is just fine with me.

Mr. Novak - Season 1
It is with much sadness that I admit to finishing this run of episodes. I again want to express my thanks to Randall for peaking my interest in this series. I have found it to be a very well written and still timely exploration of our educational system. It doesn't hurt that I went through high school from '71 to '75 (just 10 or so years after the Jefferson students did) so there is still much that I was able to identify with. As with the series as a whole, I found something very true in these final episodes.

One Way To Say Goodbye (1.26) Kathryn Hays, Glen Kramer, George Petrie. Leaving the building late one night, Mr. Novak finds a young lady lost in her memories of being a Jefferson student. He is attracted to her and finds himself being distracted, at first just by thinking of her and then by her popping in for open house. Attraction simmers and then boils over before Mr. Novak meets her husband. Uh-Oh. Not sure I buy Mr. Novak as the "other", not as high on my list as the others on this disc.

Day In The Year (1.27) Malachi Throne, Richard Eyer, Mark Slade, Patricia Hyland, David Sheiner, Marion Ross. A heart breaking episode that deals with drugs, overdoses and the consequences. After Novak's student collapses in homeroom, Det. Medford is sent to investigate. A no nonsense officer who is able to quote statistics but also able to see the toll drugs take on all who know the addict. He is a nearly sympathetic officer who shares his frustration in a final scene with Mr. Novak. Well acted. I feel that the cop is going have his own breakdown if his daughters ever fall.

Moment Without Armor (1.28) Michael Walker, Oliver McGowan. Leaving school in the dark always seems to be a problem at Jefferson. Ms. Pagano leaves before Mr. Novak and is assaulted. He arrives and scares off the attacker. Concurrently Ms. Pagano is having issues with a classroom bully whose father is on the city commission. Ms. Pagano is suffering from undiagnosed PTSD (this is the 60's) and is frightened daily. She is ready to leave and is unwilling to face her fears. Discussing the student's suspension with his father, she finds an unlikely ally.

Fare Thee Well (1.29) Kevin McCarthy, June Dayton, Noreen Corcoran, Marion Ross, Douglas Lambert. An unplanned pregnancy, an unknown father and a desire to graduate are the elements of this episode. The parents are overly understanding and the father steps up after he realizes the situation. The girl just wants to graduate with her class. Mr. Novak is in the middle. I think the show is to be commended for tackling this subject but the parents seem to be from a fairy tale. I did like the fact that the couple did not get married. Props to the plot, the consequences just seem to unlikely to mirror real life.

The Senior Prom (1.30) Marta Kristen, John Hubbard. Mart Kristen plays a student (Gail) who wanted to win an election and have a title but she has been unwilling to organize the Prom committees. Mr. Novak forces the issue and she then becomes unpopular but effective in planning the best prom for the rising juniors, outgoing seniors, faculty and parents. During this time Gail is too busy and does not get a date for the prom.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Hays was also amazing in the bittersweet Mr. Novak Season 1 episode, "One Way to Say Goodbye". Maybe it's mainly due to the hairstyle (and body language), but she bears a striking resemblance in this to Diana Rigg, during her "Emma Peel" days.

I have to admit I didn't see a Rigg resemblance but in going through all those episodes in two days, I did get from her a vibe (not so much a resemblance) that reminded me of another English actress, Jean Marsh.

I also realized that the reason why she looks so different in Trek, the role she is always going to be most remembered for, is because the most distinctive thing about her facially in every other episode (and the Mr. Novak caps only prove that point!) is how she often smiles and how that highlights her cheekbones but in Trek she never smiles once which makes a difference.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Fare Thee Well (1.29) Kevin McCarthy, June Dayton, Noreen Corcoran, Marion Ross, Douglas Lambert. An unplanned pregnancy, an unknown father and a desire to graduate are the elements of this episode.
I had mentioned earlier that Mr. Novak became a sort of transitional repository for child TV stars from earlier series--and I was reminded by Doug's review that Noreen Corcoran was one of these. You might remember her as the teenager Kelly Gregg, the niece of wealthy attorney Bentley Gregg, played by John Forsythe, from Bachelor Father.
Noreen's younger brother Kevin Corcoran gained fame in the role of the irrepressible Moochie on Walt Disney's The Adventures of Spin and Marty with Tim Considine and David Stollery, and in the films Swiss Family Robinson and The Shaggy Dog..

upload_2019-4-15_17-58-23.jpeg
images

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Gunsmoke - Season 6

Big Man (6.27) George Kennedy, John McLiam. George Kennedy again plays a big man (Pat) who just won't take "No", from Miss Kitty. Jud is in town and he likes to drink. He witnesses a fight between Pat and a big man. Pat is killed. Jud fingers Matt and the circumstantial evidence is credible. Interesting to note there is a secondary role played by James Nusser who became a semi-regular portraying the town drunk - Willie Pheeters.

Little Girl (6.28) Susan Gordon, Wright King, Loyal T. Lucas, Bill McLean. Criminals attack a grandfather and orphan a young girl. This allows Matt to step in as a father figure which the young lady is happy about. Matt soon chafes under the responsibility as he is not equipped to be a permanent solution. I like most episodes where our main character is placed in an uncomfortable situation. Except for the lack of grief concerning her grandfather, I enjoyed this one, especially seeing Matt's obvious concern for the child's best interest overiding his more personal attraction to Charity.

Stolen Horses (6.29) Guy Raymond, Buck Young, Shirley O'Hara, Jack Lambert, Henry Brandon. The episode begins with a murder for horses. While tracking the murderers, Matt & Chester realize they have been sold to the Kiowa. Further tracking leads them to an isolated farmhouse and hostages. After another senseless death, Matt is notified by the Kiowa that the culprit is caught. Matt subdues his personal feelings and allow the Kiowa to extract justice.

Minnie (6.30) Alan Hale, Jr., Virginia Gregg. A "Doc" episode. A woman come into town needing some assistance from Doc. During the course of treatment, she becomes smitten and outrageously flirts with Doc every chance she can. Kitty and especially Chester take turns ribbing Doc and abandoning him to Minnie whenever they can. Minnie's husband rides into town and is ready to kill Doc to get his wife back. The interplay between Doc and Chester is priceless in this episode.

Bless Me Till I Die (6.31) Phyllis Love, Ron Foster, Vic Perrin, Dabbs Greer. A new couple come to Dodge on there way back East. Cole is studying to be a doctor. A nasty little man recognizes Cole for a murderer and tells Matt. Doing his duty, he confronts Cole and asks him to turn himself in. Cole shows up but is unable to go peacefully. When Matt goes to visit his widow, she surprises him.

Long Hours, Short Pay (6.32) John Larch, Allen Lane,Lalo Rios, Steve Warren. A solo Matt adventure where he is tracking a gunrunner. Through an accident, Matt finds himself captured and the gunrunner is released. Matt has to escape the Indians. Sounds interesting, but this one just plods along. Matt escapes the Indians and they are unable to track him??? The escape is improbable, she just happens to pour water on his leather ties and he is able to make mud to be able to slip his bonds, Really!!!

Doctor Who - Tom Baker Season 7/18 Bluray
Full Circle (18.9, 18.10, 18.11, 18.12) Lalla Ward, Matthew Waterhouse, George Baker, Leonard Maguire, George Bree, John Leeson. Caves, marsh creatures, spiders and continual spaceship repairs make for an interesting trip to E-Space. Downside is picking up Adric as a stowaway. I know change is inevitable and that the staff was trying to find a fitting way for Romana to leave amd a Gallifrey story probably seemed like a good idea. There are parts of this story I enjoyed and other parts just seemed like a retread (spiders anyone). Too much time travelling the spaceship corridors in this one. Sure hope the Doctor can finally get to Gallifrey since Alzarius is not the proper destination.

I guess a show that first aired in 1990 could be considered a "classic". Got my copy of Evening Shade - Complete Series from VEI,Inc. this past Friday afternoon. Spent some time thie weekend getting remembering what I liked in ... "this place called Evening Shade." My family watched the whole first disc. My son was not around when the show aired (he was born in '93) and he was laughing as much as my wife and I at the antics of assistant coach Herman Stiles.

A Day In The Life of Wood Newton (1.1) Wood and Ava's anniversary, Wood's birthday and Ava finds out she is pregnant.
There Once Was A Boy Named Wood (1.2)
What Ever Happened To Clutch Newton? (1.3) Wood finds out he did not make a famous touchdown during his high school years. A fallen idol story.
Sadie Hawkins Dance (1.4) Fully utilizing the comedy talents of Michael Jeter in this one dealing with juvenile pranks.
Fast Women (1.5) Is 15 old enough for Tyler to have sex?
The Moustache Show (1.6) Standard sitcom idea, a child shaves off half of Wood's moustache.
All For Charity (1.7) Herman purchases a weekend with Wood and drives the family nuts.
Something To Hold On To (1.8) All football players have failed their algebra test and are ineligible to play in the upcoming game. Frieda's "explanation" of algebra is hilarious.

All of these episodes were on disc 1 with the standard VEI disclaimer that these were the best masters available. For the equivalent of 9 episodes, they are OK. The ability to own this series and enjoy it again, outweighs whatever faults are there. I guess it helps that they appear to be uncut and mostly intact. I am not one who worries about end title cards so I am not sure if all companies are represented. I have so far seen Mozark, MtM and the new CBS logo.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Mission:Impossible - Season 4
Robot (4.9) Lee Meriwether, Malachi Throne, Larry Linville, Jan Merlin, Vic Perrin. From IMDB: Premier Pavel Zagov's death has been covered up by Deputy Premier Gregor Kamirov. He is using an actor to take Zagov's place, and endorse Kamirov as his successor. The team convinces Kamirov that another official is planning a similar coup with the help of a lookalike mechanical Zagov. Led to believe that his co-conspirators are unreliable, Kamirov takes over the alternate (IMF provided) plan which ends with him exposing his deception on national television. Good use of Paris in this one as the "mechanical" man. Also nice use of old age make-up. Any excuse for Lee Meriwether to show her legs always rates high in my book. Nice one.

Mastermind (4.10) Donnelly Rhodes, Ben Wright, Paul Stewart, William Bryant. A syndicate leader has pertinent information on government leaders that could be used for blackmail purposes. A medical condition is faked and the con is on. Iron lung, stroke, ESP and mind transference are all used to inflame the rivalry between the syndicates No. 2 and No. 1. Well played episode.
NOTE: This is not the episode listed as number 10 in IMDB, but it is next on the thried disc.

The Brothers (4.11) Michele Carey, Lloyd Battista, Joseph Ruskin, Lee Bergere. A complex plan to create a medical problem in order to switch brothers. Fatal suffocation awaits the brother who is replaced. The underlying motivation is to replace a ruthless oil baron for one more sympathetic to the US. The greedy military advisor complicates things when there is a massive power failure. Sure did enjoy seeing Ms. Carey in this outing.

Time Bomb (4.12) Barbara Luna, Bert Freed, Morgan Sterne, William Hansen. Always racing the clock. A terminal double agent plots revenge against his target by planning a nuclear meltdown. Through another medical accident, time manipulation and a repertory company, the spy is convinced that he has minutes to avert the disaster before he is caught in the destruction. Jim and Barney go off script to figure out the proper sequence and save the day. Barbara Luna just gets to look gorgeous and seductive which is just fine with me.

Have you watched “Fool's Gold” an “Commandante”, by the way?

The best of the bunch is “Robot”.

ROBOT

Comments:
As in "The Astrologer", the automaton has a moving arm and as in "The Exchange", an inflatable dummy is used but here, hanged in a cell to outwit Captain Danko! The dossier scene appears to be brand new owing to Jim's jacket style, previously seen in the tape scene. As usual, find some typical Gellerese idioms from Eastern Europe: "Kustöms" for customs, "Fila" for files, "Informat" for informations, "Stat Telefon" for State telephone, "Garaag" for garage, "Offiz" for office. The Republic of Lucarno seems to be a mixture of East Germany (see the name Maria Becker and the airport announcement that says: "Deutsche Lufthansa announces the departure of Flight 583 to Hamburg") and a Sovietesque Slavic nation (see the last names: Zagov, Kamirov, Silensky, Massik). The name Gemini is well-chosen because it perfectly encapsulates the character's dual position in this tight political scheme.

Review:
Find another doppelganger episode that is engrossing because of the overall cast, especially from Lee Meriwether and Leonard Nimoy who has a multi-part performance of five characters: Paris, Premier Zagov, Gemini, the Zagov robot and Colonek Silensky. The bulk of the plot refers to the season 3 "The Cardinal", meaning a ruthless high official manipulates a disguised double of a key peaceful figure to obtain power in a televised speech. The subplot of an organized television broadcasting is culled from "The Elixir". Richard Markowitz writes the second score of his three commissions and he is season 4's dominant composer: this is another grim and subdued soundtrack in the line of "The Bunker".

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I guess a show that first aired in 1990 could be considered a "classic". Got my copy of Evening Shade - Complete Series from VEI,Inc. this past Friday afternoon. Spent some time thie weekend getting remembering what I liked in ... "this place called Evening Shade." My family watched the whole first disc. My son was not around when the show aired (he was born in '93) and he was laughing as much as my wife and I at the antics of assistant coach Herman Stiles.
My wife and I loved this series when it first aired and watched it habitually each week. So many great characters--favorite being Charles Durning. Elizabeth Ashley as Frieda and Ann Wedgeworth as Merleen were proof that mature women could still be damn sexy.

Ever notice this was Burt Reynolds "chewing" period? For some reason, he thought he was funnier / cooler when chewing gum while reciting his lines. It got to be a bit maddening after a while.

upload_2019-4-22_7-37-45.jpeg
upload_2019-4-22_7-38-23.jpeg

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Perry Mason
"The Case of the Avenging Angel" (S9E22)

It's always fun--and truly cringe-worthy--to watch a TV show from 1966 that tries to represent the British Wave of rock 'n roll via Hollywood screenwriters' take of that era. The post-Elvis impact had yet to be fully realized in media, and was therefore reduced to stereotypical depictions of mop-topped musicians and pseudo-rock music which had to include "yeah, yeah, yeah" shoved somewhere in the lyrics to prove its authenticity and relevance. And believe me, this episode is just chock full of it.

Perry and Della are patronizing a hip joint which features newest Brit singer Sandy Chester (Martin Horsey--sort of a young Roddy McDowell-type), whose voice displays all the forceful dynamics of a wet cotton ball. Perry has been hired by millionaire Cameron Burgess (Paul Stewart) to have music agent Clete Hawley (Richard Carlson) sign Sandy up for a big contract. There are two things wrong with the set up. First, Hawley is at least 7 days past his 'sell by' date as far as any effectiveness in the music biz. Second, not only does Sandy have a terrible voice, but is also a shy, modest nerd--not even remotely resembling a strutting Mick Jagger clone. They say that social awkwardness is a courtesy of genius, but what it actually means is "You Will Die a Virgin". There will be no screaming girls trying to crawl up Sandy's leg.

Clete Hawley proves himself to be a jerk in every sense of the word, because it's uber-necessary in every Perry Mason case that the potential victim has at least 40 enemies chomping at the bit to harm, maim or kill him. Hawley's publicity gal, Dotty (Sue Ane Langdon--who unfortunately is wearing way too many clothes in this story) is also about as shady as an elm tree.

upload_2019-4-22_11-54-39.jpeg
upload_2019-4-22_11-54-54.jpeg
upload_2019-4-22_11-55-8.jpeg
images

Martin Horsey; Richard Carlson; Sue Ane Langdon; Paul Stewart

"This kid will be the dreamboat of every chick in the country", Hawley promises. Who talks like that? Hawley's songwriter, Riff (Chick Chandler) has written a dreadful song "Surfing Moon" that his daughter uses a publicity stunt to promote it. The stunt gets Sandy and the song in all the newspapers. Clete Hawley is pissed--he didn't have a hand it this particular success--and forces Riff to turn the rights of the song over to him. When next we see Clete, he is d-e-a-d on the floor of the recording studio by way of a pair of scissors. I guess that would make it the cutting room floor.
All clues point to poor Sandy. It's now time for Hamilton Burger and Perry Mason to unravel this mystery in the LA Court of Law.

As it comes out in the trial, Sandy is actually millionaire Burgess' illegitimate son. In addition, Sandy's original mentor, Henny (the marvelous Lurene Tuttle) also has a stake in his success. I won't reveal who dunnit, but I will let you know that in the end, Sandy's road to stardom leads him to a busboy's job in Perry's favorite restaurant. Ah, the sweet smell of success.

Randoms
Lurene Tuttle started her career in radio, playing virtually every female role in the ''Sam Spade'' series, from Spade's young secretary to old ladies. She averaged 15 shows a week, playing a variety of roles. Among her radio credits were ''Dragnet,'' ''Lux Radio Theater,'' ''Screen Guild Players,'' ''Doctor Christian'' and ''The Red Skelton Show.''
By 1949, she was dubbed "The Most-Heard Woman in the United States".

images

Lurene was born in the tiny town of Pleasant Lake, Indiana. I'm from Indiana, and even I don't know where that is. She claimed her immense stamina in showbiz came from her ability to ride wild burros as a child. Go figure.
Miss Tuttle passed at age 78 in 1986.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Moving on with Gunsmoke - Season 6

Hard Virtue (6.33) Lew Brown, Leah Waggner, Robert Karnes. Newcomers to Dodge wishing to make a new start are befriended by Ed Fallon (freight office manager) after an unintentional accident. Ed is very interested in Andy's wife and creates marital discord. The issue is moot as the wife is non complicit but Andy is a hot head. Matt seems to be a frontier marriage counselor ;).

The Imposter (6.34) Harp McGuire, Virginia Gregg, Paul Langton. A sheriff arrives in town behind a telegram requesting Matt's help in locating a criminal. Matt goes looking for the sheriff as he my not be who he says he is.

Chester's Dilemma (6.35) Patricia Smith, John van Dreelen, Dabbs Greer. Even the most confirmed bachelor can have his head turned by the latest arrival on the stage. Chester is used by Edna until Chester realizes his duty and then a visitor makes off with his infatuation. Cute episode to see Dennis Weaver acting so lovestruck.

The Love of Money (6.36) Cloris Leachman, Warren J. Kemmerling, Tod Andrews. An old friend of Matt's is passing through Dodge after retiring. He takes an interest in Cloris and soon ends up dead. Matt must unravel a twisted relationship to arrive at the truth of who killed his friend.

Melinda Miles (6.37) Diana Millay, Burt Douglas, Walter Sande, Charles Gray, Dabbs Greer. An over protected daughter who has made up her mind about her future discovers her boyfriend has lied. She creates a false alibi and is working to escape Dodge. The truth and her father catch her before her plan is able to work.

Colorado Sheriff (6.38) Wright King, Robert Karnes. Matt and Chester find an injured man on the prairie and bring him to Dodge. DOc saves his life. A Colorado sheriff enters Dodge looking for the injured man. Seems the sheriff is the one who put the bullet in his back. Also seems the injured man is a thief and the sheriff is a long way from home. Is the motive justice or the stolen money?

Interesting to see how the same actors appear repeatedly in supporting roles. I realize that the episodes were probably not aired in order, but it is interesting that in these 6, you get Robert Karnes twice as two different individuals as well as another appearance from Virginia Gregg fresh from her recent appearance as Minnie.

Well I have finally reached that milestone, the end of the half hour seasons. I'm breaking with tradition and going straight to Season 7 and the hour long stories. WIll be interesting to see if the stories were successful right out of the gate.

Gunsmoke - Season 7
Perce (7.1) Ed Nelson, Norma Crane, Ken Lynch. I generally like Ed Nelson and this episode continues that feeling. He was very convincing of a man who accepted the consequences of his choices and decided to change his ways. He aided Matt when necessary and seems ready to remain on the straight and narrow until he meets Ida (Norma Crane). She was also very convincing in her outspoken way that money/riches is the only thing that will turn her head. Perce was crushed when Ida wouldn't look at him as he was working at the stock yard. Her dismissal is the motivation for Perce's next actions. A very strong character driven episode to showcase the hour long format. Louie has always been a favorite bit player and he was given some very good moments in this episode. I did not enjoy Chester's solo scene with the alarm clock, to much of a sitcom trick and out of place.

Old Yellow Boots (7.2) Warren Stevens, Joanne Linville, Bing Russell, Steve Brodie, Harry Dean Stanton, Dabbs Greer. A senseless killing to open the show and then we meet the players. A lonely prairie woman under her brother's thumb, a travelling murderer who is available as an escape and two travelling gunmen willing to do anything if the price is right. Interesting to see how a woman who is battered has time to make grand plans to inherit a farm. She is one massive manipulator. Every one who enters her orbit finds that she is toxic. Once again the extended time allows for stronger character moments and Louie is again the recipient of the extra time.

I have enjoyed these first two outings of the new format. I'm seeing that Doc and Chester still have their sparring matches and we now have Sam the bartender. This is looking more like the show I remember watching while growing up.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Maverick: Season 1
Episode 11 - The Wrecker
A fun episode that included both Bret and Bart. I assume they were still trying to get Bart established and had Bret along for support. The brothers go to an auction to buy a beached cargo ship they expect to get for $300 and end up in a bidding war that takes the price to $30,000 instead. The episode is spent trying to solve the mystery of why the ship is worth so much to someone else.

Rockford Files: Season 1
Episode 5 - Tall Woman In Red Wagon
Rockford is hired by a young woman to help her prove a friend of hers that has been declared dead and buried is actually very much alive. (Which of course she is). Most of the fun comes from the girl believing she is a better investigator than Rockford and finding out that isn't quite true.

Columbo: Season 1
Pilot 1 - Prescription Murder
Pilot 2 - Ransom For A Dead Man
Episode 1 - Murder By the Book

I had watched both of the pilot episodes before, but seeing them back to back was interesting because of the subtle differences in the way Falk played the character. In the first pilot which starred Gene Barry as the bad guy who killed his wife, Columbo is a little less rumpled looking and a little less scatter brained. By the second pilot episode with Lee Grant playing a lawyer who kills her husband and makes it look like a kidnapping, the classic Columbo is in place and annoys Grant so much I'm sure she wanted to kill him too.

The first regular episode is a strong one with Jack Cassidy playing half of a book writing team (the half that doesn't actually write) who kills his partner who is planning on going solo. Martin Milner plays the unlucky partner and Cassidy is great as the bad guy. This episodes biggest claim to fame might be that it was directed by a young Steven Speilberg who went on to do a couple of other things.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I just dug out my Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels DVD for the first time in six years, and it still holds a place in my heart as a cartoon fanatic!

Season 1 (1977):
Episode 1 - The Kooky Case of the Cryptic Keys (9/10/1977)
Episode 2 - The Mixed-Up Mystery of Deadman's Reef (9/17/1977)
Episode 3 - What a Flight for a Fright (9/24/1977)
Episode 4 - The Creepy Case of the Creaky Charter Boat (10/1/1977)
Episode 5 - Big Scare in the Big Top (10/8/1977)
Episode 6 - Double Dribble Riddle (10/15/1977)
Episode 7 - The Crazy Case of the Tell-Tale Tape (10/22/1977)
Episode 8 - The Creepy Claw Caper (10/29/1977)
Episode 9 - Cavey and the Kabuta Clue (11/5/1977)
Episode 10 - Cavey and the Weirdo Wolfman (11/12/1977)
Episode 11 - The Disappearing Elephant Mystery (11/19/1977)
Episode 12 - The Fur Freight Fright (11/26/1977)
Episode 13 - Ride 'em, Caveman! (12/3/1977)
Episode 14 - The Strange Case of the Creature from Space (12/10/1977)
Episode 15 - The Mystery Mansion Mix-Up (12/17/1977)
Episode 16 - Playing Footsie with Bigfoot (12/24/1977)

Season 2 (1978):
Episode 17 - Disco Cavey (9/9/1978)
Episode 18 - Muscle-Bound Cavey (9/16/1978)
Episode 19 - Cavey's Crazy Car Caper (9/23/1978)
Episode 20 - Cavey's Mexicali 500 (9/30/1978)
Episode 21 - Wild West Cavey (10/7/1978)
Episode 22 - Cavey's Winter Carnival Caper (10/14/1978)
Episode 23 - Cavey's Fashion Fiasco (10/21/1978)
Episode 24 - Cavey's Missing Missile Miss-tery (10/28/1978)

Season 3 (1980):
Episode 25 - The Scarifying Seaweed Secret (3/8/1980)
Episode 26 - The Dummy (3/15/1980)
Episode 27 - Cavey and the Volcanic Villain (3/22/1980)
Episode 28 - Prehistoric Panic (3/29/1980)
Episode 29 - Cavey and the Baffling Buffalo Head (4/5/1980)
Episode 30 - Dragonhead (4/12/1980)
Episode 31 - Cavey and the Murky Mississippi Mystery (4/19/1980)
Episode 32 - Old Cavey in New York (4/26/1980)
Episode 33 - Cavey and the Albino Rhino (5/3/1980)
Episode 34 - Kentucky Cavey (5/10/1980)
Episode 35 - Cavey Goes to College (5/17/1980)
Episode 36 - The Haunting of Hog's Hollow (5/24/1980)
Episode 37 - The Legend of Devil's Run (5/31/1980)
Episode 38 - The Mystery of the Meandering Mummy (6/7/1980)
Episode 39 - The Old Caveman and the Sea (6/14/1980)
Episode 40 - Lights, Camera... Cavey! (6/21/1980)

~Ben

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No marathons at the moment to do but I couldn't help but look at two episodes of "The Loner" given the fact the show was executive produced by William Dozier and was on the air just a few months before "Batman's" debut. There were two episodes that featured "Batman" villains who would appear right away in S1 which suggests that their "Loner" appearances might have influenced their availability (Anne Baxter and Burgess Meredith).

"One Of The Wounded."-Colton (Lloyd Bridges) gets hired by Anne Baxter whose husband, former Union Colonel Paul Richards has been in a catatonic, shell-shocked state since the end of the war.

"Hunt The Man Down"-Colton is forced into a posse in the mountains (the always easy to recognize Vazquez Rocks!) to track down mountain man dweller Burgess Meredith who is wanted for getting drunk and breaking up the town below.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Columbo: Season 1
Pilot 1 - Prescription Murder
Pilot 2 - Ransom For A Dead Man
Episode 1 - Murder By the Book

I had watched both of the pilot episodes before, but seeing them back to back was interesting because of the subtle differences in the way Falk played the character. In the first pilot which starred Gene Barry as the bad guy who killed his wife, Columbo is a little less rumpled looking and a little less scatter brained. By the second pilot episode with Lee Grant playing a lawyer who kills her husband and makes it look like a kidnapping, the classic Columbo is in place and annoys Grant so much I'm sure she wanted to kill him too.

The first regular episode is a strong one with Jack Cassidy playing half of a book writing team (the half that doesn't actually write) who kills his partner who is planning on going solo. Martin Milner plays the unlucky partner and Cassidy is great as the bad guy. This episodes biggest claim to fame might be that it was directed by a young Steven Speilberg who went on to do a couple of other things.

Excellent!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
In honor of Ken Kercheval who passed earlier this week, I watched "A House Divided" from Dallas. I know J.R. made the show, but if he hadn't have had Cliff Barnes as his foe, it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I know that. You still in general didn't see that kind of thing even on the other networks.
It must have been missed by "Standards and Practices" somehow. It *was* pretty rare.

I looked it up to see and found the first was apparently Yvette Mimieux in a 1964 episode of Dr. Kildare ("Tyger, Tyger" - on NBC) where she was on a surfboard and the belly button was visible for a few seconds (although I don't see it in this clip which supposedly shows it).
aDzH5-1494529350-8555-list_items-navels_kildare.gif

Then there were a couple in Star Trek (NBC). First Nichelle Nichols in "Mirror Mirror":
6dDTr-1494529482-8557-list_items-navels_nichelle.jpg

Then Nancy Kovak in "A Private Little War":
iXULs-1494529577-8558-list_items-navels_nancytrek.jpg

Cher gets all the credit in 1971 for being a regularly appearing performer in a series (The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour - CBS) with frequent (like every episode) reveals:
v72oq-1494529764-8560-list_items-navels_cher.gif

Then Roddenberry comes through again in the pilot for Genesis II with Mariette Hartley (who had been barred from showing it in the Star Trek episode "All Our Yesterdays" (she sports two of them):
SH056-1494529690-8559-list_items-navels_genesis2.jpg

I found no mention at all of that shot from Honey West.

Most sites indicate IDOJ and Gilligan's Island (CBS) kept tight reigns on this but I found this shot:
Mary+Ann,+Gilligan++&+Ginger.jpg

It looks like a publicity photo but I'd swear I saw belly buttons from both ladies at random times. Reportedly, Schwartz said in his Gilligan’s Island book that the CBS censors would allow belly button exposure in one scene, as long as the character covered her navel in another, even if she was wearing the same outfit.

Interestingly, it was the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) who, in 1951, put the restriction in its Code of Practices for Television Broadcasters. That code stood until 1983.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks