What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Yes, one thing I've been struck with in rewatching these Hardy Boys/ Nancy Drew Mysteries is how frequently atmospheric they are. And the opening credits set the mood nicely, with that spooky theme and the use of the blue hardback book covers mixed with live action.

I've been meaning to check out that Mickey Mouse Club "Applegate Treasure" Hardy Boys serial. I think the complete run is available on YouTube. I think the Kirk and Considine are bit young for my image of the Hardy Boys, but I'm curious to give it a look.
I think it's sometimes fun to watch mysteries that don't have murder attached for a change.

Remember when many of us old timers watched the MMC serial we were in that age group and it was the only game in town. (Besides nobody sung in them:P)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The Applegate Treasure was a treasure but the follow up (which almost nobody has seen or remembers - Ghost Farm was terrible.
So I've heard. Even though I never saw the series, I did a post on it many pages ago. I'd still like to see it, just for the sake of nostalgia.

upload_2019-4-8_10-12-7.jpeg
upload_2019-4-8_10-12-28.jpeg
upload_2019-4-8_10-13-11.jpeg

ADDED:
There was a Hardy Boys series pilot filmed in 1966 and scheduled to appear on NBC in 1967. "The Mystery of the Chinese Junk" starred Rick Gates as Frank Hardy and Tim Matheson as Joe.
Apparently the stink factor was quite high on this production, and it failed to make the grade. A really crappy reproduction is available on youtube.

images (5).jpg

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What did you think of Odd Man Out? I picked up a copy of that one in a "Network" sale on Amazon UK a few months back but haven't yet made time for it.

I thought the whole thing with Reynaldo Marchetta was a contraction. In season 2, Jenna runs into Bobby in DFW airport and she tells him she put Charlie on a plane to see Marchetta and family. Then, when Marchetta shows up Jenna and Naldo act as if that never occurred.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I thought the whole thing with Reynaldo Marchetta was a contraction. In season 2, Jenna runs into Bobby in DFW airport and she tells him she put Charlie on a plane to see Marchetta and family. Then, when Marchetta shows up Jenna and Naldo act as if that never occurred.
Hmmm.... it appears there are 2 or more series called Odd Man Out. The only one I've heard of, and purchased, is the 1977 UK series with John Inman (Mr. Humphrey's from Are You Being Served?). :lol:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe the Odd Man Out he is referencing is an episode of Dallas.

Yep, Thats what I thought Howie was referring to :laugh:

having said that, it does seem Odd that Dallas would Put that out there, In the Season 2 Episode where Jenna Appears, She is Played by Morgan Fairchild

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Mannix
"Beyond the Shadow of a Dream" (S1E8)

I never was a big Mannix fan when it first aired in the mid-to-late 1960's. I viewed Mike Connors as a sort of faux Peter Gunn without the cool jazz, black & white starkness or, most importantly, Lola Albright. But I DVR'd this episode to see whether my opinion would change by watching the series again.

This particular story takes place while Mannix is still working for the hi-tech detective agency Intertech, before DesiLu head Lucille Ball decided that computers were too complicated for us to comprehend in 1967 and 86'd the concept. Good for her. Intertech did nothing to contribute to the stories.
However, in this episode, Mannix is still shackled to his boss, Joseph Campanella (wearing ashtray-thick glasses), who assigns him to work with rich girl Carrie Day (Judi Meredith). The reason is to check out her fiance Mike DiAngelo (Robert Yuro) "to be sure of his motives". Carrie, as far as I'm concerned, is open to immediate ridicule for wearing what appears to be an oversized sailor's cap.

Mannix shows up as a house guest for Carrie's party--disguised as an insurance agent by wearing glasses--which of course would immediately identify him as a dweeby insurance man. Crashing the party is Mike's ex-girlfriend Gwen (Paula Prentiss), even being skunk drunk is still about 750 times sexier than Carrie. Why the hell was she the one dumped?

upload_2019-4-10_10-52-28.jpeg
upload_2019-4-10_10-56-15.jpeg
upload_2019-4-10_10-57-11.jpeg

Judi Meredith, easy-on-the-eyes Paula Prentiss, Richard Mulligan

There ensues a ton of blurry sequences of Carrie thrashing about in bed with bad dreams and visions that somehow is to convey a troubled past. If anything, it gives us the opportunity to see her in flimsy nightdresses and to apply dated Grand Prix-style multi screen grid patterns.
Turns out Carrie has been incarcerated in the loony bin for the past 10 years under the observation of her psychiatrist Dr. Adams (Richard Mulligan). Mannix spends most of his time interviewing the myriad of crazies surrounding her--stockbroker, lawyer, tennis instructor, grocer (I just made that up), et al. Joe tools around in a sexy silver Olds Toronado convertible--which has nothing to do with the story--but it was worth putting in my notes. Also worth noting is his visit to talk to Gwen. I was afraid that Paula Prentiss was going to be just a throw away in this episode. She mixes Mannix a drink (I'm always fascinated that ice buckets seem always full as if tended by secret bar elves) and then proceeds to put the moves on him with her signature smoky laugh and throaty voice. It may not have worked on Mannix, but it sure gets me every time.

I digress. Carrie goes missing in the night and Mannix eventually finds her in her nightgown (again) literally up a tree. From this point on, the story is fantastically stupid--Mannix gets into various fights, generally getting the snot knocked out of him and ends up defending himself and Carrie in--get this--a straight jacket. I couldn't stop laughing. Carrie's nightmares and motives therein are finally uncovered. It's as welcome as broth for the ill and stilts for the lame, for sure.

I can say that this episode did not reorganize my original thought about the series. Mike Connors is an engaging guy, but he's stuck in a mediocre script and too many TV guest star retreads. I will admit, viewing one episode should not color my opinion so negatively for a series that was popular and had a decent run.

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Cowboy G-Men "Ozark Gold"
Gabby Hayes Show (no title)
The Roy Rogers Show "Phantom Rustlers"
Hudson's Bay "Black Barrier"
Sergeant Preston of the Yukon "Dog Race"
O'Hara U.S. Treasury "Operation Smokescreen"
"The Feminist and the Fuzz" Made for TV Movie

Found Cowboy G-Men to be the most fun and Hudson's Bay to be the least involving of the PD westerns, all from Mill Creek collections. Final 2 were on YT.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think it's sometimes fun to watch mysteries that don't have murder attached for a change.

Remember when many of us old timers watched the MMC serial we were in that age group and it was the only game in town. (Besides nobody sung in them:P)

Oh yeah? They reran MMC in the mid-70s and us 70s kids were heard around the schoolyard singing in our Thurl Ravenscroft impressions: "Now where ARE those gold doubloons...and pieces of eight, pieces of eight, pieces of eight..."

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

Oh yeah? They reran MMC in the mid-70s and us 70s kids were heard around the schoolyard singing in our Thurl Ravenscroft impressions: "Now where ARE those gold doubloons...and pieces of eight, pieces of eight, pieces of eight..."

Intros don't count :laugh: Neither does tapping on the phone with a letter opener!
Just for that you have to listen to three hours of Shaun Cassidy records.:unsure:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
Mannix
"Beyond the Shadow of a Dream" (S1E8)

I never was a big Mannix fan when it first aired in the mid-to-late 1960's. I viewed Mike Connors as a sort of faux Peter Gunn without the cool jazz, black & white starkness or, most importantly, Lola Albright. But I DVR'd this episode to see whether my opinion would change by watching the series again.

This particular story takes place while Mannix is still working for the hi-tech detective agency Intertech, before DesiLu head Lucille Ball decided that computers were too complicated for us to comprehend in 1967 and 86'd the concept. Good for her. Intertech did nothing to contribute to the stories.
However, in this episode, Mannix is still shackled to his boss, Joseph Campanella (wearing ashtray-thick glasses), who assigns him to work with rich girl Carrie Day (Judi Meredith). The reason is to check out her fiance Mike DiAngelo (Robert Yuro) "to be sure of his motives". Carrie, as far as I'm concerned, is open to immediate ridicule for wearing what appears to be an oversized sailor's cap.

Mannix shows up as a house guest for Carrie's party--disguised as an insurance agent by wearing glasses--which of course would immediately identify him as a dweeby insurance man. Crashing the party is Mike's ex-girlfriend Gwen (Paula Prentiss), even being skunk drunk is still about 750 times sexier than Carrie. Why the hell was she the one dumped?

View attachment 57406 View attachment 57407 View attachment 57408
Judi Meredith, easy-on-the-eyes Paula Prentiss, Richard Mulligan

There ensues a ton of blurry sequences of Carrie thrashing about in bed with bad dreams and visions that somehow is to convey a troubled past. If anything, it gives us the opportunity to see her in flimsy nightdresses and to apply dated Grand Prix-style multi screen grid patterns.
Turns out Carrie has been incarcerated in the loony bin for the past 10 years under the observation of her psychiatrist Dr. Adams (Richard Mulligan). Mannix spends most of his time interviewing the myriad of crazies surrounding her--stockbroker, lawyer, tennis instructor, grocer (I just made that up), et al. Joe tools around in a sexy silver Olds Toronado convertible--which has nothing to do with the story--but it was worth putting in my notes. Also worth noting is his visit to talk to Gwen. I was afraid that Paula Prentiss was going to be just a throw away in this episode. She mixes Mannix a drink (I'm always fascinated that ice buckets seem always full as if tended by secret bar elves) and then proceeds to put the moves on him with her signature smoky laugh and throaty voice. It may not have worked on Mannix, but it sure gets me every time.

I digress. Carrie goes missing in the night and Mannix eventually finds her in her nightgown (again) literally up a tree. From this point on, the story is fantastically stupid--Mannix gets into various fights, generally getting the snot knocked out of him and ends up defending himself and Carrie in--get this--a straight jacket. I couldn't stop laughing. Carrie's nightmares and motives therein are finally uncovered. It's as welcome as broth for the ill and stilts for the lame, for sure.

I can say that this episode did not reorganize my original thought about the series. Mike Connors is an engaging guy, but he's stuck in a mediocre script and too many TV guest star retreads. I will admit, viewing one episode should not color my opinion so negatively for a series that was popular and had a decent run.

Oof! Pretty harsh on ol' Joe Mannix there, Russ! To be fair, I haven't seen the episode in question...it doesn't sound like one of the better ones. I usually have little patience with the "trying to drive someone crazy for ulterior motives" plotline, so can sympathize with your lack of enthusiasm. It did make for a fun to read review, anyway...

I generally quite enjoy Mannix, another show that I never saw until the DVD sets came out. Even though the plots can get a bit silly now and then, I find it a highly entertaining watch more often than not. There's a really enjoyable swagger to the show, it's a very confident, slick production, Mike Connors is a likeable guy to follow around from beating to beating, and sometimes the stories get pretty twisty and clever. I also like the first season with Intertect...you're right, the computer stuff doesn't really add anything to the show, but it's fun to see Joe chafing at assignments he doesn't want, and his interactions with Joseph Campanella are often a highlight. It works well within the confines of the series, too; we see how Joe eventually has enough of working for the man and hangs up his shingle as a freelance P.I.

Hopefully you'll catch another episode down the line that might cast the show in a better light for you.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Just for that you have to listen to three hours of Shaun Cassidy records.:unsure:
Speaking of Shaun Cassidy, who we love to make fun of, I was watching an episode of NBC's New Amsterdam and saw the name Shaun Cassidy as Executive Producer and writer of the episode. My first thought was what a coincidence that there are two Shaun Cassidys in show biz. But no...it's the same guy!
A little research revealed that our boy Shaun is a prolific producer, director and writer these days: American Gothic, Blue Bloods, along with New Amsterdam being just a few of his endeavors. I, for one, will extend a bit more deference towards the lad going forward.

images

On the personal front, Shaun hasn't been too successful in marriage--he's had three. And now has about 56 kids.
No wonder he's still working.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Oof! Pretty harsh on ol' Joe Mannix there, Russ!
Yeah, I really didn't mean for the commentary to be so vitriolic. I'm sure if I caught a few more episodes I could smooth out my impression of the series a bit.
I was always appreciative of Gail Fisher as his secretary Peggy Fair. A cutie with a good heart.

upload_2019-4-11_8-10-39.jpeg

Gail got whacked for cocaine possession in 1978. But then, so did everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks