What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (8 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
ABC, October 11, 1959. I'd be down for this line-up! Though I'd probably skip Dick Clark's World of Talent...

View attachment 57009
Trying to figure why I didn't remember Lawman much. So I looked up the TV guide for Sunday 59/60. Ed Sullivan would have ruled the TV at 8.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
As Russ likes to say a TIDBIT
Elvis Presley's first national TV appearance was not on Ed Sullivan as most people believe but on the Dorsey Brother's Big Stage Show. It was a great show where in one evening you could watch Big Band - A singer - Rock & Roll and a juggler or animal act all in one night. I think it was better than Sullivan.
DorseyBrothers.jpg

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Well actually that would probably be Major Bowes on the radio (Ted Mack took over from him) but that goes beyond the scope of this thread:P Same show no - but new idea - talent show voted on by home listeners/viewers yes! One of the contestants was a very young Frank Sinatra as part of the Hoboken Four (obviously radio). They also had more than singers so maybe more like America's Got Talent - used to love the guys playing a saw.

(Is my age showing again?)

ADDED: Just so you don't think I'm entirely crazy (I am) not from Ted Mack but anyway - somewhere over the rainbow...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My family's first color TV was a Heathkit model that my dad and I assembled in his shop. Well... he did most of it but I did quite a bit. It was the family present Christmas 1967.

Here's a photo:
images

19", manual tuner, separate tuning nobs for VHF/UFH, and the cart/stand was included. It lasted at least 20 years.

I got the BW set for my room (it didn't have rabbit ears on top) and later took it to college (this photo is identical to that set):
fd89f46d33785d2628725e99e9e2c40c.jpg

I believe it was also a 19" screen. IIRC the nobs on the front controlled volume, brightness, and contrast. The horizontal hold, and vertical hold adjustments were on the back of the set (which was a pain if they needed adjusting - I could reach them and barely see the front enough to do them without a mirror). Fine tuning was a secondary wheel behind the channel changing nob.

That same Christmas he built mom a microwave oven (another Heathkit product). For years we were the only people in town with one of those (population ~3500). Mom tried cooking several main dishes in it before we all decided it was better for basic heating/reheating than actual cooking. Being a very early model it had a dial to set the cooking time. It, too, lasted a very long time. At least 20 years if not a bit longer.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Very cool, Howie - thanks for sharing!

I've heard a bit about those Heathkit TVs, but didn't know that they also made microwave kits. The 1967-1968 season would have been a great year to first have a color TV, with a huge variety of iconic shows to check out first run. I was born in 1967, so wouldn't see many of the shows airing in my birth year until syndication in the 70s and early 80s...and in several cases - Man in a Suitcase, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, The Guns of Will Sonnett, Mission: Impossible, The Champions, for example - not until they were released on DVD.

I didn't have a TV in my room until my late teens. I bought a little 13" black-and-white set on layaway at K-Mart. I enjoyed the heck out of that sucker. Around that time, we got a new, additional PBS station, KCKA, which relayed out of a tower not so far from my hometown, so I could pick that station up crystal clear with no antenna. I remember watching Blake's 7 every Sunday evening over the course of a entire year, and loving it. Can't remember the brand of that little TV, but it was a workhorse, and was still running years later.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
When we finally got our first color set in 1969 I inherited the 19" that we had had in the family room. Needless to say it was a big deal to get the chance to watch what I wanted after all those years of being a captive audience.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Alias Smith and Jones: Season 1
Pilot
Episode 1 - The McCreedy Bust
The Pilot, which I had seen before does a good job of setting up the series, but the real treat for me was the first regular episode.
Burl Ives and Cesar Romero play rich ranchers on opposite sides of the Mexican border who both covet the same statue. Our heroes end up in the middle of course and there are multiple setups of cons conning cons and everyone pulling one on the next guy. Great writing and acting make this one of the best TV episodes I have watched in a long time. This box is staying off the shelf and will get revisited soon.

Mannix: Season 2
Episode 3 - Pressure Point
A good episode with Joe changing it up a little by taking two solid beatings instead of the usual one. He helps a judge who is being blackmailed by mobsters using the judges daughter. Peggy has her biggest role yet although she is still calling him "Mr. Mannix". I think he becomes Joe at some point.

The Fugitive: Season 3
Episode 20 - There goes the Ball Game
Linda Day and Martin Balsam guest in a solid episode that finds Kimble being blackmailed by a father who finds out his real identity and forces him to help recover a kidnapped daughter. In the end the daughter helps Kimble get away from the police in what has now become the normal ending of every episode.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
L
I've been watching Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In S3 the past few days. It's one of those I watched without fail during first run. We thought it was hilarious. It was "new" and daring and often political in its skewering of the times. Today it's rather sedate and I see all the old vaudeville routines upon which it's based (I'd never seen those back then) as well as its obvious nod to shows like The Benny Hill Show, another who owes vaudeville thanks and one most Americans had never seen. I still enjoy the show but in a much different way than during the original airings.
I'm wondering - had Benny Hill been airing in the USA when Laugh In premiered ? I recall BH showing up on US TV a little later -around 1970-71. Am I right on that ? Incidentally , I've been watching Laugh In too. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and I'm planning on buying the other two seasons . The show is very topical , so you have to be knowledgeable about late 60's issues to really get the humor and enjoy it . The sixties vibe makes the show more nostalgic - at least for me . And I think it survives it's topicality better than the early seasons of Saturday Night Live .

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Alias Smith and Jones: Season 1
Pilot
Episode 1 - The McCreedy Bust
The Pilot, which I had seen before does a good job of setting up the series, but the real treat for me was the first regular episode.
Burl Ives and Cesar Romero play rich ranchers on opposite sides of the Mexican border who both covet the same statue. Our heroes end up in the middle of course and there are multiple setups of cons conning cons and everyone pulling one on the next guy. Great writing and acting make this one of the best TV episodes I have watched in a long time. This box is staying off the shelf and will get revisited soon.

Enjoyed your write-ups as usual, Tim! I need to give Alias Smith and Jones another look. I didn't particularly care for it when it I caught it in reruns as a kid. Probably far too sophisticated and adult for my tastes at the time, which ran to more action and gunplay, and less clever con game shenanigans. I'd doubtless like the show a lot now. Looks like the complete series set is only $20 on Amazon at the moment. How's the video quality on the sets? As long as it's watchable, I'll be picking this up at some point.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The first season of ALIAS SMITH AND JONES looks good, but some of the later season episodes are poor looking. It was released at the time Timeless was not getting all the episodes direct from Universal. Don't know if there were better versions later. Anybody following the show on recent TV airings? What do the episodes look like, now?

Jeff, if you do ever watch the show, keep an eye out during the scenes where S & J are being chased by a posse. They used stock footage, not only from other Universal shows like THE VIRGINIAN but also from Four Star's THE BIG VALLEY. So look for Nick, Heath, and The Virginian in the posse.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
L
I'm wondering - had Benny Hill been airing in the USA when Laugh In premiered ? I recall BH showing up on US TV a little later -around 1970-71. Am I right on that ? Incidentally , I've been watching Laugh In too. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and I'm planning on buying the other two seasons . The show is very topical , so you have to be knowledgeable about late 60's issue to really get the humor and enjoy it . The sixties vibe makes the show more nostalgic - at least for me . And I think it survives it's topicality better than the early seasons of Saturday Night Live .
Wiki shows the Benny Hill movie at 1974 and says US showings of BH were in the "late 70's".

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
L
I'm wondering - had Benny Hill been airing in the USA when Laugh In premiered ? I recall BH showing up on US TV a little later -around 1970-71. Am I right on that ? Incidentally , I've been watching Laugh In too. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and I'm planning on buying the other two seasons . The show is very topical , so you have to be knowledgeable about late 60's issue to really get the humor and enjoy it . The sixties vibe makes the show more nostalgic - at least for me . And I think it survives it's topicality better than the early seasons of Saturday Night Live .

Wiki shows the Benny Hill movie at 1974 and says US showings of BH were in the "late 70's".
That sounds about right. I know I first saw Benny Hill in the early 80s. I think it was on A&E but don't remember for sure. My wife hated it (still does).

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
The first season of ALIAS SMITH AND JONES looks good, but some of the later season episodes are poor looking. It was released at the time Timeless was not getting all the episodes direct from Universal. Don't know if there were better versions later. Anybody following the show on recent TV airings? What do the episodes look like, now?

Jeff, if you do ever watch the show, keep an eye out during the scenes where S & J are being chased by a posse. They used stock footage, not only from other Universal shows like THE VIRGINIAN but also from Four Star's THE BIG VALLEY. So look for Nick, Heath, and The Virginian in the posse.
I would agree that the early episodes at least look good enough to please me, I haven't looked ahead so I'm sorry to hear that later ones don't look so good. I don't know if the series will continue to hold up for me but I just thought that first episode was very strong. I thought it could stand toe to toe with any great episode of Maverick, which I consider high praise.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Rifleman
“Death Trap” (S3E33)

Opening Scene: Spicer (James Drury) gets into a gunfight with John Stark (William Kendis), mortally wounding the guy while himself sustaining a nasty bullet graze against his cheek. Drury plays the antithesis of his character in “The Virginian”; Spicer being a dark and vengeful sort—one could rake Hell from corner to corner and not find a nastier person.

Townsfolk haul wounded Stark into town, but unfortunately the doctor is not around. Enter Simon Battle (Philip Carey), gunfighter-turned-doctor (hey, I don’t write the scripts) who’s in town with his lovely 16-year old daughter Carrie (Gigi Perreau). Gunfighter/Doc Battle is suddenly conscripted to tending the wounded Stark. Well, turns out Battle and Lucas McCain have some history between them, and not from sharing co-chairmanship of the North Fork Ice Cream Social. Seems the two were on opposite sides with one another years ago, so now ensues a whole lot of clear-eyed, soul-searching staring between the two as each test the other’s mettle. Neither trusts the other.

Meanwhile young Mark McCain (Johnny Crawford) falls all over himself over Carrie in google-eyed pre-teen wonder, face washed and hair combed with something other than salad tongs. They both have a cutely awkward discussion about the size of Chicago, from where Carrie and her father hail. Mark can hardly believe anyplace on earth can house half a million people.

upload_2019-4-3_18-39-47.jpeg
upload_2019-4-3_18-40-7.jpeg
upload_2019-4-3_18-42-5.jpeg

Bad man James Drury; Crawford, Perreau and Carey discussing dinner plans, Gigi showing she's grown up quite nicely

Spicer, spending some quality drinking time with his besties, learns that Stark is not dead and that the new doctor is attempting to fix him up. Spicer is the sort when he shoots someone, he expects an outcome of death, not healing. Thus he threatens Doc Battle, which heads toward a gunfight between bad-guy-turned-good against bad-guy-turned-badder. For once, it’s not Lucas’ fight—but you know damn well he’s got to insert himself somehow. He offers to buy Doc a steak if he survives. Now there’s incentive.

The gunfight concludes on a positive note, so Lucas and Doc Battle head for Ruth Chris’ for martinis and medium rare t-bones. Bernaise on the side, please.

Randoms

At 73, John Crawford still retains his lean, boyish looks. A few years back during an interview, he was asked whether he viewed Chuck Connors as a father figure during their stint on the Rifleman series. “Not really. I had great respect for him and I loved working with him but he was very different off screen. He was was incorrigible; a practical joker. It was fun all the time but he wasn’t a good influence on me aside from his acting. He used a lot of four-letter words and he was very imposing. He loved intimidating people. I got a kick out of him, however.”

images

A long time band leader for a vintage dance orchestra, Johnny was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s earlier this year.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Law&Order season 8 baby it’s you parts 1 and 2.
Law &Order season 8 Burned, Shadow
Law&Order season 6 Aftershock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks