What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Barney Miller
Fire '77 (3.15)
Abduction (3.16)
Sex Surrogate (3.17)
Moonlighting (3.18)
Asylum (3.19)
Group Home (3.20)
Strike: Part 1 (3.21)
Strike: Part 2 (3.22)

Season 4 adds Dietrich and Levitt to the opening credits while removing Fish.
Goodbye, Mr. Fish: Part 1
Goodbye, Mr. Fish: Part 2
Bugs
Corporation

Mannix
The Mouse That Died (4.5)
The Lost Art of Dying (4.6)
The Other Game In Town (4.7)
The World Between (4.8)

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
"What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD?"

I'm continuing to work my way through my Hogan's Heroes Season Two box set and my Perry Mason Season Four box set. I'd forgotten how funny Hogan's is and love these episodes. Several of them take place outside the prison camp.
And one of the Mason episodes I watched this week, "The Case of the Red Riding Boots," is one of the best I've seen so far. It's quite emotional as one of the witnesses threatens to kill herself and Mason, faced with everyone involved hiding something from him because each thinks one of their family members is the murderer, gets really testy with everybody.

Hogan’s Heroes (1965-1971/U.S., color, half-hour sitcom/CBS) DVD (Season 2 box set)

“The General Swap” (Season 2 / #17, Jan. 6, 1967)

“The Great Brinksmeyer Robbery” (Season 2 / #18, Jan. 13, 1967)

“Praise the Fuhrer and Pass the Ammunition” (Season 2 / #19, Jan. 20, 1967)

“Hogan and the Lady Doctor” (Season 2 / #20, Jan. 27, 1967)

“The Tower” (Season 2 / #27, March 17, 1967)

“Colonel Klink’s Secret Weapon” (Season 2 / #28, March 24, 1967)

“The Top Secret Top Coat” (Season 2 / #29, March 31, 1967)

Perry Mason (1957-1966/U.S., hour-long legal drama/CBS) DVD (Season 4, Vol. 1, Disc 3)

“The Case of the Red Riding Boots” (Season 4 / #11, Dec. 10, 1960)

“The Case of the Larcenous Lady” (Season 4 / #12, Dec. 17, 1960)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Each time I sit down and watch a DVD I'm glad I made the investment. This hobby is fun and a lot more affordable than my previous one.

Monday
Gomer Pyle USMC 2:8 Gomer captures a Submarine

My wife has started watching these with me and she remembered Gomer grabbing on to a periscope in the ocean from when she was little.

Tuesday
The Lucy Show 1:8 Lucy the music lover

Lucy is always fun to watch, her crazy antics never get old. Trying to impress her new doctor boyfriend she pretends to be a classical music enthusiast.

Naked City 2:9 The man who bit a diamond in half
This is from the best of naked city and Walter Mathau was very good in this one. I want to get the whole set now. The picture and sound was very good.

Wednesday
Matlock 1:12 The chef

A celebrity gets murdered on a TV cooking show and ben get's a court room confession on the witness stand.

Thursday
Laverne and Shirley 1:11 Fakeout at the Stakeout

This is one of my favorite comedies. I used to think it was silly but after watching a few episodes it grew on me and now it really cracks me up. In this one the girls get robbed and Laverne volunteers to be a decoy to catch the thief.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 1:3 The Quadripartite Affair
I liked having Star Trek night every Friday so I decided to make Thursday secret agent night. In this episode a fear gas is being developed and Solo and Kuryakin must stop them before they use it to topple a government. Anne Francis, Richard Anderson, and Jill Ireland guest star.

Friday
Get Smart 1:3 School Days

Max must find the imposter at the secret spy school that everyone seems to know about. In the end Fang rescues them.

Star Trek 1:6 Mudd's Women
For Star Trek Friday I went back to the beginning. I watched this episode when it was first on and vaguely remembered some of the story but not much.

Saturday
I Dream of Jeannie 1:5 G.I. Jeannie

This episode focused on Barbara Eden and she was really funny trying to get assigned as Tony's secretary.

Sunday
The Phil Silvers Show 1:2 Empty Store

Bilko get's his men's bankroll back by selling shares in an empty store. In the process he gets a custom made uniform, private phone in his locker, and the best food from the mess hall.

Mission Impossible 2:2 Trek
This is my favorite drama from the sixties everything from the music to the story and acting is first rate. In this one the IMF must trick a thief into revealing where the artifacts he stole from a government are hidden and expose a military officer who is trying to profit by finding the artifacts himself. Like usual it kept me guessing until the end and like usual the plot was very cleverly written.

Last edited:

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Have been attempting to power through the last season of Night Gallery. Series has been on the shelf since release, but despite (or perhaps because of) my affection for Rod Serling's work, it's been slo-o-ow going. (That's not a positive comment.)

Today, "Spectre in Tap Shoes" and "You Can Come Up Now, Mrs Millikan" (plus the vignette episode that tags along with the last). Just three more to go (watched some out of order).

Yesterday, Batman: Ring of Wax / Give 'Em The Axe. Saw the first part as an eight-year-old around 50 years ago, perhaps on a network run: vividly remember the cliffhanger. My locale didn't have ABC then, we were visiting relatives - and I never saw the conclusion until now.

Dark Shadows: we're around episode 830 or so. Only 400-odd to go! :laugh:

Oh, yes, forgot: The Twilight Zone: The After Hours - both the 1960 and 1986 versions. Still love the '60 - but despite the talent behind the '86, it's useless to me.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Each time I sit down and watch a DVD I'm glad I made the investment. This hobby is fun and a lot more affordable than my previous one.

Monday
Gomer Pyle USMC 2:8 Gomer captures a Submarine

My wife has started watching these with me and she remembered Gomer grabbing on to a periscope in the ocean from when she was little.

Tuesday
The Lucy Show 1:8 Lucy the music lover

Lucy is always fun to watch, her crazy antics never get old. Trying to impress her new doctor boyfriend she pretends to be a classical music enthusiast.

Naked City 2:9 The man who bit a diamond in half
This is from the best of naked city and Walter Mathau was very good in this one. I want to get the whole set now. The picture and sound was very good.

Wednesday
Matlock 1:12 The chef

A celebrity gets murdered on a TV cooking show and ben get's a court room confession on the witness stand.

Thursday
Laverne and Shirley 1:11 Fakeout at the Stakeout

This is one of my favorite comedies. I used to think it was silly but after watching a few episodes it grew on me and now it really cracks me up. In this one the girls get robbed and Laverne volunteers to be a decoy to catch the thief.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 1:3 The Quadripartite Affair
I liked having Star Trek night every Friday so I decided to make Thursday secret agent night. In this episode a fear gas is being developed and Solo and Kuryakin must stop them before they use it to topple a government. Anne Francis, Richard Anderson, and Jill Ireland guest star.

Friday
Get Smart 1:3 School Days

Max must find the imposter at the secret spy school that everyone seems to know about. In the end Fang rescues them.

Star Trek 1:6 Mudd's Women
For Star Trek Friday I went back to the beginning. I watched this episode when it was first on and vaguely remembered some of the story but not much.

Saturday
I Dream of Jeannie 1:5 G.I. Jeannie

This episode focused on Barbara Eden and she was really funny trying to get assigned as Tony's secretary.

Sunday
The Phil Silvers Show 1:2 Empty Store

Bilko get's his men's bankroll back by selling shares in an empty store. In the process he gets a custom made uniform, private phone in his locker, and the best food from the mess hall.

Mission Impossible 2:2 Trek
This is my favorite drama from the sixties everything from the music to the story and acting is first rate. In this one the IMF must trick a thief into revealing where the artifacts he stole from a government are hidden and expose a military officer who is trying to profit by finding the artifacts himself. Like usual it kept me guessing until the end and like usual the plot was very cleverly written.

Steve:

You should definitely get RLJ's complete series release of Naked City. Along with The Defenders and Route 66, it is among my top three favorite television series.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
1/23/2018 - 2/5/2018:

Have Gun - Will Travel: "Winchester Quarantine" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1957)
Have Gun - Will Travel: "A Matter of Ethics" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1957)
Have Gun - Will Travel: "The Bride" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1957)
Have Gun - Will Travel: "Strange Vendetta" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1957)
Dark Shadows: Episodes #667-675 (1969)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Sulky Girl" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Silent Partner" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Angry Mourner" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Crimson Kiss" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Vagabond Vixen" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Runaway Corpse" (Season 1, Episode 10, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Crooked Candle" (Season 1, Episode 11, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Negligent Nymph" (Season 1, Episode 12, 1957)
Decoy: "To Trap a Thief" (Episode 4, 1957)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "The Clampetts Strike Oil" (Season 1 pilot, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Getting Settled" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Meanwhile, Back at the Cabin" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "The Beverly Hillbillies Meet Mrs. Drysdale" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Jed Buys Stock" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Trick or Treat" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "The Servants" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Jethro Goes to School" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Elly's first Date" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1962)
The Andy Griffith Show: "Mayberry Goes Hollywood" (Season 1, Episode 13, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "The Horse Trader" (Season 1, Episode 14, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "Those Gossipin' Men" (Season 1, Episode 15, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "The Beauty Contest" (Season 1, Episode 16, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "Alcohol and Old Lace" (Season 1, Episode 17, 1961)
Jonny Quest: "The Curse of Anubis" (Episode 3, 1964)
The Immortal: "The Immortals" (1969, TV-movie pilot)

All from my DVD collection, except for streamed episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies (MPI-sourced prints, I think) on Amazon Prime and The Andy Griffith Show on Netflix. As with TAGS, I haven't really watched TBH episodes since I was a little kid in the 1970s, and if I enjoy enough of these early episodes (and I have, so far), I may eventually spring for the first three seasons on (CBS/Paramount) DVD.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
1/23/2018 - 2/5/2018:

Have Gun - Will Travel: "Winchester Quarantine" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1957)
Have Gun - Will Travel: "A Matter of Ethics" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1957)
Have Gun - Will Travel: "The Bride" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1957)
Have Gun - Will Travel: "Strange Vendetta" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1957)
Dark Shadows: Episodes #667-675 (1969)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Sulky Girl" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Silent Partner" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Angry Mourner" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Crimson Kiss" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Vagabond Vixen" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Runaway Corpse" (Season 1, Episode 10, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Crooked Candle" (Season 1, Episode 11, 1957)
Perry Mason: "The Case of the Negligent Nymph" (Season 1, Episode 12, 1957)
Decoy: "To Trap a Thief" (Episode 4, 1957)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "The Clampetts Strike Oil" (Season 1 pilot, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Getting Settled" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Meanwhile, Back at the Cabin" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "The Beverly Hillbillies Meet Mrs. Drysdale" (Season 1, Episode 4, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Jed Buys Stock" (Season 1, Episode 5, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Trick or Treat" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "The Servants" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Jethro Goes to School" (Season 1, Episode 8, 1962)
The Beverly Hillbillies: "Elly's first Date" (Season 1, Episode 9, 1962)
The Andy Griffith Show: "Mayberry Goes Hollywood" (Season 1, Episode 13, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "The Horse Trader" (Season 1, Episode 14, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "Those Gossipin' Men" (Season 1, Episode 15, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "The Beauty Contest" (Season 1, Episode 16, 1961)
The Andy Griffith Show: "Alcohol and Old Lace" (Season 1, Episode 17, 1961)
Jonny Quest: "The Curse of Anubis" (Episode 3, 1964)
The Immortal: "The Immortals" (1969, TV-movie pilot)

All from my DVD collection, except for streamed episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies (MPI-sourced prints, I think) on Amazon Prime and The Andy Griffith Show on Netflix. As with TAGS, I haven't really watched TBH episodes since I was a little kid in the 1970s, and if I enjoy enough of these early episodes (and I have, so far), I may eventually spring for the first three seasons on (CBS/Paramount) DVD.

I run into the same dilemma for shows that are available streaming. In the end I've decided to purchase them if they are a good price because the streaming services are so transient. Hulu used to have all of the dick van dyke show seasons in HD and now they only have season 1. In the meantime I think the Blu ray discs have gone out of print and gotten very expensive. I would recommend the Beverly Hillbillies and the Andy Griffith Show on DVD, the CBS copies are pristine for both of them and season one of the Beverly hillbillies has come down in price quite a bit.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In the meantime I think the Blu ray discs have gone out of print and gotten very expensive.

They have indeed-- just checked Amazon, and the Blu all-in-one is close to $200 (roughly $92 if you get it secondhand). And the individual seasonal Blus are somewhat pricey as well, in the $40-$50 range (like the all-in-one, less expensive if you get them secondhand).

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the recommendation. I've learned a lot since joining this site. Do you know if there are any differences in the individual season box sets and complete series set for Naked City?

In addition to the RLJ complete set, I also have the three 3-disc sets released by Image in 2005-06 because they contain original bumpers and commercials.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Bonanza S13 E17: "The Saddle Stiff"

Fresh off his 9 year tenure on The Beverly Hillbillies, Buddy Ebsen guest stars as a ranch hand fired by Ben Cartwright. Suggesting that Ben is getting a bit "long in the tooth," he wagers a bet that Ben couldn't make it on his own merits any longer. Taking the bet from Cactus Murphy, the Ebsen character portrayed here, he becomes "Ben Brown," and quickly runs into someone passing themselves off as Ben Cartwright. Ben is hired on by a rancher who believes him to be Ben Brown and, in short order, Cactus is hired on as well. There are dramatic moments and comical moments, the comical moments being something Ebsen was known for, and he would soon be known for dramatic moments when he became Barnaby Jones shortly thereafter. Everything wraps up neatly at the end with Ben revealing himself to be Ben Cartwright and the bad guys going to the pokey. The quality of the show had went down at this point in comparison to early seasons, but this is a highlight, at least to me, of the "lost" episodes. Anytime you put two legends together such as Greene and Ebsen, you are almost guaranteed a home run!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Amazon put the S1 & S2 BR of Flipper on sale ($17.67 each) so I finally caved and purchased a copy of S1. I've been watching it this week.

It looks absolutely stunning! Sound is also good. The cast is likeable and all do a good job. So far there have been several interesting guest stars and character actors.

I just can't decide if I want more. I'm enjoying the episodes but there's a certain sameness to them. Something goes wrong, Flipper notices, Flipper alerts someone, they race to help the person in trouble, the day is saved. I really think this one is best viewed an episode or two a week and not several back-to-back.

One real odd situation is that two episodes dealing with someone "stealing" Flipper apparently aired in very close proximity with truly only minor changes in the plot. On the disc they're separated by two episodes. I'm also starting to notice the reuse of lots of footage of Flipper and a audio loop that consists of about a half dozen "phrases" of dolphin speak.

I can see why my sister and I pretty much stopped watching this one after S2.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Amazon put the S1 & S2 BR of Flipper on sale ($17.67 each) so I finally caved and purchased a copy of S1. I've been watching it this week.

It looks absolutely stunning! Sound is also good. The cast is likeable and all do a good job. So far there have been several interesting guest stars and character actors.

I just can't decide if I want more. I'm enjoying the episodes but there's a certain sameness to them. Something goes wrong, Flipper notices, Flipper alerts someone, they race to help the person in trouble, the day is saved. I really think this one is best viewed an episode or two a week and not several back-to-back.

One real odd situation is that two episodes dealing with someone "stealing" Flipper apparently aired in very close proximity with truly only minor changes in the plot. On the disc they're separated by two episodes. I'm also starting to notice the reuse of lots of footage of Flipper and a audio loop that consists of about a half dozen "phrases" of dolphin speak.

I can see why my sister and I pretty much stopped watching this one after S2.
I was going to catch a few episodes on YouTube a bit back to see if I still like it. Whoever uploaded framed them in 16x9, making them look absolutely atrocious.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just finished the absolute best episode of Flipper S1. Episode 30, "Flipper's Monster." It features Wende Wagner (Lenore Case in The Green Hornet TV series), Ricou Browning (in the creature suit and also listed on some episodes as creator/director/producer of Flipper, the underwater scenes as The Gill Man in all three Creature from the Black Lagoon films, and more), and the actual monster suit used in the 1959 film The Monster of Piedras Blancas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks