What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Scooby Doo, Where Are You - 2.6 "A Tiki Scare Is No Fair"
The Scooby Gang are in Hawaii, a fun location that this episode doesn't really take full advantage of. Not one of the better ones - let's face it, a witch doctor and a rolling statue on wheels are not among the creepier monsters this series has to offer - but still plenty watchable.

Jonny Quest - 1.23 "The House of Seven Gargoyles"
An atmospheric espionage yarn amidst the Norwegian fjords, where enemy spies (including a circus acrobat disguised as one of the titular gargoyles) are after a professor's antigravity device. The design and backgrounds on this H-B classic are always a joy to look at - and the story is good fun, too. Jonny Quest is that rare classic animated show where the villains usually bite it at the end of each episode, which endeared it to me as a youngster...and makes the show stand out today.

Bewitched
- 2.7 "Trick or Treat"
Endora is up to her usual cruel shenanigans here, as she turns Darrin into a werewolf on Halloween night, just as he's due to entertain an important client and his wife. Dick York has fun chewing up pillows, snarling and going full-on wolfman in some good old school make up. Look for a young Maureen "Marcia Brady" McCormick, returning for the second and last time as the child version of Endora. Elizabeth Montgomery is visibly pregnant in this episode, but as they write her pregnancy into the storyline, it all fits fine.

Hunter - 1.10 "The Shooter"
Some punk is killing motorcycle cops, "Wild West" showdown style, and Hunter and McCall are on the trail. Pretty boilerplate 80s cop show stuff here, with plenty of cliched dialogue, but Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer have good chemistry together, and I like Dryer's droll Dirty Harry-lite shtick.

Barnaby Jones - 1.11 "To Denise, with Love and Murder"
Bill Bixby guest stars as a sneaky gigolo killer who manages to outfox Barnaby for a good chunk of this episode. Of course it's only a matter of time before Barnaby turns the tables and gets his man.
It's a kick to see Bixby play a smug bad guy.

The Dick Van Dyke Show - 5.1 "Coast to Coast Big Mouth"
Of course, this is a famed classic episode of this terrific sitcom, but a first time watch for me. Needless to say, I enjoyed it immensely. Laura appears on a TV game show and is tricked by the host into blurting out that Rob's boss, egomaniac Alan Brady (Carl Reiner, hilarious here), wears a toupee. I've made up my mind...Mary Tyler Moore narrowly edges out Elizabeth Montgomery to win the title of "Sexiest 60s Sitcom Wife."

Red Dwarf - 6.2 "Legion"
"Legion" is up there with my favorite episodes of this, my all-time favorite comedy. The jokes fly nonstop as the boys from the Dwarf contend with a gestalt-identity android on an abandoned space station. For my money, series VI is Red Dwarf at its absolute peak, with just the right balance of character comedy, very funny zingers and high-concept sci-fi plots. This might not seem to fall into the time frame most think of as "Classic TV," but as it's now been 25 years since this season first aired in the U.K., I'd say it qualifies.

The Six Million Dollar Man - 3.17 "The Secret of Bigfoot, Part 1"
Every child of the 70s remembers the appearance of Bigfoot on this show. This one is, as usual for this series, good fun, even if its story is virtually nonexistent, basically consisting of Steve Austin running around the woods (that said - does anyone look as cool running as Lee Majors?) The make up job on Andre the Giant is pretty dang effective, and he and Majors have a good, knock-down drag out fight...though I do have to ask, what's going on with the sound effects when Steve is being thrown around by Bigfoot (or vice versa)? It's the same "falling missile" sound effect heard when he bionically throws a rock or ball of wire in previous episodes. Seems a bit odd used here, though. Stefanie Powers shows up at the finale as an alien hottie. The funky, energetic music by Luchi de Jesus is a highlight. Apparently part 2 is a bit of a letdown...

latest

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #8

“Incident of the Rawhiders”
written by Jay Simms and Jack Turley
story by Jay Simms
directed by Ted Hang’Em High Post
guests: Denver Pyle, Nina Shipman, James Best, Wright King

It’s a blackmail plot that starts as a solo Yates adventure in which he is held prisoner by a wild and extremely poor gang of poachers/scavengers led by a fanatical old man and forced to marry a savage woman so that they spot the herd of Gil Favor.
The poacher army surrounds the camp at a remote distance and threatens to shoot the drovers against 400 head of cattle.
The outfit is now held prisoner by an irregular army! The ensemble of guest actors (Denver Pyle, Nina Shipman, James Best,
Wright King) is very picturesque and rough edges. Actress Nina Shipman previously appeared in the season 5 “Incident of the Portrait”
(also directed by Ted Post) and “Incident of the Comanchero”. Both Denver Pyle and James Best will later work on The Dukes of Hazzard.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #9

“Incident of The Prophecy”
written by Samuel Roeca
directed by Thomas Carr
music by Paul Sawtell
guests: Dan Duryea, Warren Oates, James Griffith, Harry Dean Stanton, Raymond Guth

It’s a spooky-oriented episode featuring a furious preacher named Brother William (actor Dan Duryea) acting like the harbinger of death and a superstitious drover named Charlie Waters (actor Warren Oates) carrying a rabbit’s foot. It starts as six drovers from the outfit led by Yates come to the nearest town to get a drink at the saloon but the establishment is closed so two drovers decide to shoot the bell of the schoolhouse when the brother of a preacher dies owing to the ricochet. The preacher sends a curse to the drovers and follow the cattle drive at a remote distance like an intruder while maniacally playing a morbid tune (“Am I Born to Die?”) on his harmonica. Later on and at night, the three brothers of the preacher step into the drive to get the head of Yates and his friend Waters. After being injured by a wild cat, Waters looses his mind and fails to gun down the outfit! The desertic scenery of the drive is splendid as in “Incident of the Red Wind”. The ‘day for night’ scenes never look better!

Actor Dan Durya returns from the season 5 “Incident of the Wolvers” and Harry Dean Stanton from the season 5 “Incident of the Lost Woman”.

Recommended.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #10

“Incident at Confidence Creek”
written by Jack Turley
directed by Harry Harris
guests: Dick York, Barbara Eden, Roy Roberts, Roy Barcroft, J. Pat O’Malley, Harry Lauter

It’s a light and amusing couple of cheap crooks working as travelling peddlers/entertainers stealing the herd ownership papers and selling the herd to the next town’s banker and posing as Gil Favor. Unfortunately, Yates and the whole outfit end up in jail. The lady crook named Crystal frees Yates in order to catch her elusive partner Gilroy conning people with his various identities. Mr. Favor is absent and resumes at the very end when the issue is settled.

Actress Barbara Eden performs a belly dance to the drovers and wears the same outfit as in I Dream of Jeannie and will come back the next season as an entertainer again in the two-parter “Damon’s Road”.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I try to keep a few TV seasons in viewing rotation when I'm binging on movies, for late night viewing, those times when I just can't fit a movie in the available time, or because I want to watch a TV series instead of a movie. During the month of October I participate in a Horror movie challenge on another site (it's a 100 movies in 31 days challenge - TV episodes are 2*60 or 4*30 = 1 movie) so watching a TV series is one of those late night/fill in times for viewing. I *finally* opened my sets of Hammer House of Horror and The Veil this past week. Being horror based they count towards the numbers.

The Veil was interesting, although more unexplained occurrences than true horror, though some things were supernaturally based. Boris Karloff hosts and has a part in all of the episodes. It's an interesting watch and highly recommended for anyone who enjoys The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, or other, similar, series.

The better of the two, IMHO, was Hammer House of Horror. There are very few truly good horror series and this is one of the best. It's an excellent series with a true Hammer Horror feel. Episodes play out like mini Hammer movies with several styles of horror represented - supernatural, possession, monsters, and more. It's produced well, written well, acted well, just overall a superior example of horror on TV. While watching I discovered it's been remastered in HD and on BR in the UK. When checking to see if that's available in the US. It's not, but I discovered it's currently available free on Amazon Prime streaming. If you're a horror fan, especially of Hammer films, I highly recommend this series.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The Dick Van Dyke Show - 5.1 "Coast to Coast Big Mouth"
Of course, this is a famed classic episode of this terrific sitcom, but a first time watch for me. Needless to say, I enjoyed it immensely. Laura appears on a TV game show and is tricked by the host into blurting out that Rob's boss, egomaniac Alan Brady (Carl Reiner, hilarious here), wears a toupee. I've made up my mind...Mary Tyler Moore narrowly edges out Elizabeth Montgomery to win the title of "Sexiest 60s Sitcom Wife."

Jeff great list of shows, can't argue with your choice of Mary Tyler Moore. I've been watching dance clips of her and Dick Van Dyke on youtube and they're just as fun as the show.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Long time no see, Peter! Maybe I've asked you this already, but how do the ME-TV Trackdown episodes look? Decent transfers? I sure wish Shout! would put this long-rumored as coming to DVD series out.

They look fine; clean and reasonably sharp --I'm sure they would look a bit sharper on disc, without the amount of digital compression inherent with cable/satellite broadcasts.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #11

“Incident of the Death Dancer”
written by Dean Riesner
directed by Thomas Carr
guests: Med Flory, Forrest Tucker

It’s an average hunting the lion on the loose at night plot that starts with Mushy and Quince and featuring a former soldier turned lonely obsessed hunter named Carlock (actor Forrest Tucker) and a new drover named Barton (actor Med Flory) who wears the wrong coat at his own risk. The escaped lion is the death dancer! Mushy wants to leave the drive and is used as a bait with the range coat of death by Carlock. Yates is absent so Quince is the replacement ramrod. For reference, you’d better watch the 1954 western film Track of the Cat.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #12

“Incident of The Wild Deuces”
written by Preston Wood and Jack Turley
story by Preston Wood
directed by Harry Harris
guests: Barbara Stuart, George Chandler, Ken Lynch

This is a light entry and it starts as three drovers coming to town to get some supplies when Mushy helps a reverend and stops at the saloon to play poker and wins the jackpot ($1500) and that’s when the trouble starts at the cattle drive. Feeling guilty, Mushy returns to town to loose his money when the owner of the saloon named Lorelei fools him. Yates counterattacks … The reverend eventually receives an unexpected present from the Providence.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've been going through all the episodes on YT (converted to DVD) that there are of two series we'll never see a DVD release of.

Way Out (1961) (10 of 14 episodes)
-While a couple of these episodes were effective like "I Heard You Calling Me" and "False Face" I found the show to be too much a weak imitator of "Thriller" and the fact that it was a videotaped show originally lent it a stagy quality that I think doesn't work well for television (and this is in keeping with my belief that the "live" shows of the 50s don't really hold up too well. TV storytelling IMO is much better suited for the filmed medium). Plus, I got annoyed with the overly repetitive theme of showing shrewish wives and henpecked husbands plotting murder which got driven home further by the fact that Roald Dahl's intros were always devoted to mostly witless stuff around that theme even if the episode had nothing to do with it. Dahl was no Hitchcock or Karloff as a host! While a DVD release would be nice the YT prints converted to DVD were more than watchable given the kinescope format and the fact that many have the original commercials too.

Bus Stop (1961-62) (8 of 26 episodes)
-Even in 8 episodes overall it was easy to see that this show had some other problems, namely the fact that it didn't take long for the title to become a misnomer as it really would have been more accurate to call it "Sunrise". The importance of the bus stop diner rapidly faded early on and in fact led to the departure of top-billed Marilyn Maxwell from the series after just 13 episodes (I am surprised that a lot of reference guides on the series on-line don't even mention her departure. Not even the Wikipedia entry did which I just corrected) who was left with next to nothing to do. In fact, Maxwell's character is damaged credibility wise in the controversial "Lion Walks Among Us" episode because she fails to keep an eye on Dianne Foster and in the process Richard Anderson's character is also damaged from a credibility standpoint because he doesn't bother to have anyone go out looking for her. All this to set up the episode's wildly implausible shock ending climax which frankly fell enormously flat with me. I can see why the episode attracted a great deal of controversy because of the frank discussion of sexual matters and the implied on-screen violence, but in all honesty this was not the first episode to give us a particularly repulsive figure. Fabian lets it all hang out but far more chillingly effective is the twist revelation regarding Nehemiah Persoff in "The Glass Jungle" who ends up being exposed as someone even more unhinged than Fabian's character. That was a much better episode I felt.

-And of course the series, knowing it was done, chose to go out on a "Thriller" note with "I Kiss Your Shadow" which works as a story but it's frankly in the wrong series. And even there this was a series that could produce some good individual episodes but the problem was they didn't make good use of the regulars from what I've seen. I would hope that some of the 18 episodes I haven't seen yet gave more spotlight time to the underused series regulars or if in fact Maxwell's complaints was true for the whole run. "Naked City" was a similar show in terms of having the series regulars take a back seat to the guest stars but at least "Naked City" knew how to properly integrate the regulars, which "Bus Stop" from what I've seen, was far less effective at doing.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm not sure you'd call Lt. Joe Kenda Homicide Hunter and Who the Bleep Did I Marry? classic, but I've been binge watching those on Hulu. In the classic department, I did a binge on Star Trek: TOS, my two favorite episodes in particular: "A Piece of the Action" and "Patterns of Force." Those two episodes never get old. I also binged on S1 of The Beverly Hillbillies on Hulu. I like all of the seasons, but it's always nice to go back to the start before the show went completely zany.

Memorable quotes: "That helmet hides a multitude of sins!" (Patterns of Force) Spock and Kirk have donned Nazi uniforms with Spock hiding his ears with a Nazi helmet.

"Jed, there ain't no new kind of dollar!" ~ Pearl
"Well, it's new to me. I've heard of gold dollars, silver dollars, paper dollars, but he said he's gonna pay me in, uh, what'd he call 'em, Granny?" ~ Jed
"Million dollars." ~ Granny

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #13

“Incident of The Geisha”
written by Charles Larson
guests: Joseph Perry, Miyoshi Umeki

It starts out as Yates hit by a black stallion and has a back paralysis because of Hey Soos who later has a horse accident and meet a Japanese servant named Nami from San Francisco in the middle of nowhere paired with a rampant Indian threat. The Japanese servant de-stresses some ‘key’ drovers (offers a bath to Hey Soos, helps Yates in his recovery and, later on, gives a massage to Favor to calm his headhache) when Indian chief Santanta asks to get her because he believes she is a goddess and that’s when the trouble starts. The final earthquake stempede is tracked with Jerry Goldsmith’s hectic CBS cue “Jailbreak”.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #14

“Incident at Ten Trees”
written by Carey Wilber
story by A.I. Bezzerides
guests: Susan Kohner, Royal Dano, Michael Pate

It’s a tormented mystery paired with the subthemes of supersition and the doppelgänger in which a weird shell-shocked woman named Abbie (actress Susan Kohner) thinks Yates is her husband Jason that she used to kill by accident—actor Clint Eastwood plays two parts: ramrod Rowdy Yates and farmer Jason Bartlett with a moustache during a flashback. To make the matter difficult, two parties get involved: superstitious drover Jeb Newton (actor Royal Dano) and Cheyenne leader Running Horse (actor Michael Pate) who wants to burn the woman and orders his army to follow the cattle drive until he gets his due. As in “Incident of the Geisha”, an Indian leader believes that a woman is a supernatural figure. As in “Incident of the Rawhiders”, a savage woman cleans up in Wishbone’s bathtube. Featuring stock music from The Twilight Zone: see Jerry Goldsmith’s haunting “Back There”. Actor Royal Dano returns from the season 5 “Incident at Quivira”. Actress Susan Kohner looks like Nathalie Wood.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Actress Susan Kohner looks like Nathalie Wood.

She does indeed.

Susan-Kohner.jpg

I remember the beautiful Ms. Kohner best from her supporting role in the wonderful western The Last Wagon. And of course, she has a pivotal role in Imitation of Life with Lana Turner. Her performance in the above episode of Rawhide was her next to last role before retiring from the business.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #15

“Incident of the Rusty Shotgun”
written by Paul King
story by Robert M. Stevens
guests: Claude Akins, Marie Windsor, Herbert Anderson, Don Megowan, Kelly Thordsen

It’s a light marital entry in which the three brothers from the iron family of the Claybank abduct Wishbone after his arrival in town to buy some supplies because their old shrewish sister that needs being married, working at the general store, has a crunch on good ol’ Wish. Favor and Yates investigate in town but the place is controlled by the brothers carrying long shotguns and Wishbone is blackmailed to accept a wedding against the life of his two drover friends. After Yates also forced to marry a woman in “Incident of the Rawhiders”, find now Wishbone. Actor Claude Akins is one of the most wanted guests of the series with seven appearences and returns from the season 5 “Incident of the Four Horsemen” and “Incident at Quivira”. This is the final performance of Film Noir actress Marie Windsor on the show.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I discovered that Hulu offers the first 3 seasons of The Incredible Hulk. I watched "My Favorite Magician" last night. I love how it pays homage to both My Favorite Martian and The Magician. Ray Walston guest stars as an aged magician who never was that great to begin with-a legend in his own mind. He had aged considerably since his first series with Bixby, but he hadn't lost a step. If there was ever a series begging for the HD/blu-ray treatment, this is it. I have saw other Universal series in HD and can only imagine how stunning this would be. On a side note, I absolutely love anything Bill Bixby stars in. Like Buddy Ebsen, he can play any role he's given. I'd love to see Goodnight, Beantown get an official release.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #16

“Incident of Midnight Cave”
written by Barry Trivers and Samuel Roeca
story by Barry Trivers
directed by Thomas Carr
guests: Ed Kemmer

It’s a Wishbone-related narrative in which he looses his sight after a tremendous shock during a fall from a cliff. After coming out of the eye doctor, Favor orders Wishbone to continue to work for the cattle drive. Wishbone faces the inconveniences of a blind man and worst of all: his fear. Favor pushes Wishbone to get a catharsis reaction. Later on, Wishbone crosses a forest during a fire triggered by the lightening to save Yates and eventually recovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks