What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (5 Viewers)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Perry Mason was my favorite episode on the list and also shared the highest IMDb rating of 8.5 with Northern Exposure.

Perry Mason 1.8 The Case of the Crimson Kiss

My sister in-law was visiting and I always try to play something special when we sit down so I picked this one. It didn't disappoint with lots of twists and turns and a great performance by the regular cast as well as the guest stars. I always like it when Della gets out of the office with Perry. My wife and I were impressed with her conservative but stylish outfit, she was a very pretty actress in a conservative way without having to call attention to herself.
Plot from IMDb 8.5 (191)
Fay Allison and her roommate Anita are found unconscious by Fay's aunt, Louise Marlow, who calls her attorney Perry Mason in desperation. In the girls' apartment Perry and Della discover a key that leads them to the body of Carver Clement.

Get Smart 1.7 KAOS in CONTROL
I'm not sure how Don and Barbara kept a straight face during some of the scenes of this episode, they probably had to redo a lot of them. Barbara Bain Guest stars on this episode right before her Mission Impossible role so this was sort a whimsical warm up for her more serious espionage effort. As Barbara Feldon describes in her introduction, Max figures out who the real double agent is with his encyclopedic knowledge of Captain Kangaroo.
Plot from IMDb 7.7 (125)
At a conference of some the the most brilliant men on the planet, KAOS plans to hit them with a regression gun.

Good Times 2.16 The Nude
I haven't watched this show for a long time and this episode was pretty good. The episode features Carl Weathers of Rocky fame as the jealous husband. It's pretty funny watching James try to act not interested while JJ is painting the portrait of their sexy neighbor. The picture quality on this episode was pretty good.
Plot from IMDb 7.9 (37)
One of the Evanses sexiest neighbors wants JJ to paint a very special picture of her to give to her husband for her birthday. However, Flo puts her foot down when she learns that the woman wants to be painted in the nude. The woman then suggests that instead of a nude that she would be glad to pose in her bathing suit. However, things really get complicated when the woman's husband thinks that she and JJ are having an affair. Now JJ must keep from getting his face pounded before he gets paid for his first commissioned portrait.

I Dream of Jeannie 1.7 Anybody Here Seen Jeannie?

I absolutely love 60s sitcoms and this is a good one. It's hard to take everything in while watching this show from the subtle references to the clothes styles and furnishings. This episode was especially funny when Jeannie convinces Dr. Bellows that he's loosing it.
Plot from IMDb 7.5 (108)
Jeannie sabotages Tony's tests prior to his launch because she doesn't want him breaking his tether on a spacewalk and being lost in space.

Jake and the Fatman 1.17 I'll Be Seeing You
In my opinion this is an underappreciated show. It got it's start as a spin off from a Matlock episode and one of it's episodes served as a back door pilot for Diagnosis Murder. Unlike the other two shows you hardly see it today in reruns. It was actually cancelled after season one but when Magnum ended CBS was left with an expensive lease on an empty Hawaii studio so they brought it back in Hawaii for the duration of the lease. The ratings for the show went up significantly after the move and it continued for a total of five seasons.
Plot from IMDb 7.4 (12)
A guy who worked for a criminal offers to testify against his boss. McCabe is incredulous because he knows the man is untrustworthy and only thinks of himself. When he takes the stand he has a heart attack, at the hospital, one the criminal's men brings him some money, then kills him. McCabe later discovers he was trying to shake down his boss so that he could leave his daughter an inheritance. Later Jake finds the daughter and asks for her help to get the man who killed her father but she might working her own angle.

Northern Exposure 2.1 Goodbye to All That

I used to watch this show all the time. It had a great mix of Quirky characters, witty dialog, comedy, and an interesting perspective on social issues. Each episode holds your interest with multiple storylines and this one features a dear John letter to Joel and Shelly's TV addiction.
Plot from Wikepedia IMDB rating 8.5 (123)
Joel receives a Dear John letter from his fiancee Elaine, who married a retired federal judge. When Holling installs a satellite dish at the bar as a gift for Shelly, she becomes addicted to watching television shows from around the world and buying offerings from home shopping networks. She finally breaks down and has a "confessional" with Chris.

Matlock 3.15 The Thief: part 2
As a rule I don't watch shows on tv that I own on DVD but my wife was watching part one on MeTV and we wanted to see the ending so I got the DVD out. Matlock must have set a record for the number of two part episodes but I don't mind it. It allows more space for plot and character development and also provides a lot of movie length episodes for the Sunday night movie. Linda Hansfield helps Tyler on the investigation in this episode so it was probably an audition for the character but they must not have liked it because in season four Clarence Gilyard Jr. (James Trivette Waller Texas Ranger) took over the role as Conrad McMasters.
Plot from IMDb 7.5 (42)
While trying to recover from the surprise testimony at the end of Part 1, Matlock discovers the true motivation for Linda's actions. as well as discovering the vital clue that leads to the real killer.

MacGyver 2.6 Jack of Lies
If I was a binge watcher MacGyver would definitely be on my list of binge worthy shows. This episode features Dalton's first appearance. Of the recurring characters featured in this show Dalton was one of the more memorable so much so that he is a regular cast member in the reboot of the show. The action is pretty much non stop and keeps your interest the entire time and includes several of MacGyver's clever uses of everyday items to get out of trouble. I like how at the end they keep you guessing about what happened.
Plot from IMDb 7.8 (203)
Jack Dalton asks for MacGyver's help in rescuing a botanist in Central America. Once there, MacGyver finds out that the botanist is an old friend.

Jake and the Fatman 2.5 Why Can't You Behave?
Since the ratings for the show went up significantly after the move to Hawaii I wanted to watch an episode to see how it was different. While the episodes from season one were enjoyable this episode was a notch better. Part of it is the actors seem a little more comfortable and relaxed in their roles. William Conrad is great as the crotchety old guy and Joe Penny is quite good as the savvy detective. As with Magnum and H5O the exterior shots are always nice. The story was good but not that much different from season one, a little bit grittier than Matlock or Diagnosis murder but not excessively so with some very good stunts and action scenes. I've seen a lot of negative comments about the picture quality on Amazon but in my system it looks very good.
Plot from IMDb 7.8 (11)
McCabe's son whom he hasn't seen because of something he did, comes to see him and McCabe is not ready to forgive him. They then investigate a plane crash and in turns out that it was caused by defective parts. And among the persons involved with the company that sold the parts is McCabe's son.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Perry Mason was my favorite episode on the list and also shared the highest IMDb rating of 8.5 with Northern Exposure.

Perry Mason 1.8 The Case of the Crimson Kiss

My sister in-law was visiting and I always try to play something special when we sit down so I picked this one. It didn't disappoint with lots of twists and turns and a great performance by the regular cast as well as the guest stars. I always like it when Della gets out of the office with Perry. My wife and I were impressed with her conservative but stylish outfit, she was a very pretty actress in a conservative way without having to call attention to herself.
Plot from IMDb 8.5 (191)
Fay Allison and her roommate Anita are found unconscious by Fay's aunt, Louise Marlow, who calls her attorney Perry Mason in desperation. In the girls' apartment Perry and Della discover a key that leads them to the body of Carver Clement.

Get Smart 1.7 KAOS in CONTROL
I'm not sure how Don and Barbara kept a straight face during some of the scenes of this episode, they probably had to redo a lot of them. Barbara Bain Guest stars on this episode right before her Mission Impossible role so this was sort a whimsical warm up for her more serious espionage effort. As Barbara Feldon describes in her introduction, Max figures out who the real double agent is with his encyclopedic knowledge of Captain Kangaroo.
Plot from IMDb 7.7 (125)
At a conference of some the the most brilliant men on the planet, KAOS plans to hit them with a regression gun.

Good Times 2.16 The Nude
I haven't watched this show for a long time and this episode was pretty good. The episode features Carl Weathers of Rocky fame as the jealous husband. It's pretty funny watching James try to act not interested while JJ is painting the portrait of their sexy neighbor. The picture quality on this episode was pretty good.
Plot from IMDb 7.9 (37)
One of the Evanses sexiest neighbors wants JJ to paint a very special picture of her to give to her husband for her birthday. However, Flo puts her foot down when she learns that the woman wants to be painted in the nude. The woman then suggests that instead of a nude that she would be glad to pose in her bathing suit. However, things really get complicated when the woman's husband thinks that she and JJ are having an affair. Now JJ must keep from getting his face pounded before he gets paid for his first commissioned portrait.

I Dream of Jeannie 1.7 Anybody Here Seen Jeannie?

I absolutely love 60s sitcoms and this is a good one. It's hard to take everything in while watching this show from the subtle references to the clothes styles and furnishings. This episode was especially funny when Jeannie convinces Dr. Bellows that he's loosing it.
Plot from IMDb 7.5 (108)
Jeannie sabotages Tony's tests prior to his launch because she doesn't want him breaking his tether on a spacewalk and being lost in space.

Jake and the Fatman 1.17 I'll Be Seeing You
In my opinion this is an underappreciated show. It got it's start as a spin off from a Matlock episode and one of it's episodes served as a back door pilot for Diagnosis Murder. Unlike the other two shows you hardly see it today in reruns. It was actually cancelled after season one but when Magnum ended CBS was left with an expensive lease on an empty Hawaii studio so they brought it back in Hawaii for the duration of the lease. The ratings for the show went up significantly after the move and it continued for a total of five seasons.
Plot from IMDb 7.4 (12)
A guy who worked for a criminal offers to testify against his boss. McCabe is incredulous because he knows the man is untrustworthy and only thinks of himself. When he takes the stand he has a heart attack, at the hospital, one the criminal's men brings him some money, then kills him. McCabe later discovers he was trying to shake down his boss so that he could leave his daughter an inheritance. Later Jake finds the daughter and asks for her help to get the man who killed her father but she might working her own angle.

Northern Exposure 2.1 Goodbye to All That

I used to watch this show all the time. It had a great mix of Quirky characters, witty dialog, comedy, and an interesting perspective on social issues. Each episode holds your interest with multiple storylines and this one features a dear John letter to Joel and Shelly's TV addiction.
Plot from Wikepedia IMDB rating 8.5 (123)
Joel receives a Dear John letter from his fiancee Elaine, who married a retired federal judge. When Holling installs a satellite dish at the bar as a gift for Shelly, she becomes addicted to watching television shows from around the world and buying offerings from home shopping networks. She finally breaks down and has a "confessional" with Chris.

Matlock 3.15 The Thief: part 2
As a rule I don't watch shows on tv that I own on DVD but my wife was watching part one on MeTV and we wanted to see the ending so I got the DVD out. Matlock must have set a record for the number of two part episodes but I don't mind it. It allows more space for plot and character development and also provides a lot of movie length episodes for the Sunday night movie. Linda Hansfield helps Tyler on the investigation in this episode so it was probably an audition for the character but they must not have liked it because in season four Clarence Gilyard Jr. (James Trivette Waller Texas Ranger) took over the role as Conrad McMasters.
Plot from IMDb 7.5 (42)
While trying to recover from the surprise testimony at the end of Part 1, Matlock discovers the true motivation for Linda's actions. as well as discovering the vital clue that leads to the real killer.

MacGyver 2.6 Jack of Lies
If I was a binge watcher MacGyver would definitely be on my list of binge worthy shows. This episode features Dalton's first appearance. Of the recurring characters featured in this show Dalton was one of the more memorable so much so that he is a regular cast member in the reboot of the show. The action is pretty much non stop and keeps your interest the entire time and includes several of MacGyver's clever uses of everyday items to get out of trouble. I like how at the end they keep you guessing about what happened.
Plot from IMDb 7.8 (203)
Jack Dalton asks for MacGyver's help in rescuing a botanist in Central America. Once there, MacGyver finds out that the botanist is an old friend.

Jake and the Fatman 2.5 Why Can't You Behave?
Since the ratings for the show went up significantly after the move to Hawaii I wanted to watch an episode to see how it was different. While the episodes from season one were enjoyable this episode was a notch better. Part of it is the actors seem a little more comfortable and relaxed in their roles. William Conrad is great as the crotchety old guy and Joe Penny is quite good as the savvy detective. As with Magnum and H5O the exterior shots are always nice. The story was good but not that much different from season one, a little bit grittier than Matlock or Diagnosis murder but not excessively so with some very good stunts and action scenes. I've seen a lot of negative comments about the picture quality on Amazon but in my system it looks very good.
Plot from IMDb 7.8 (11)
McCabe's son whom he hasn't seen because of something he did, comes to see him and McCabe is not ready to forgive him. They then investigate a plane crash and in turns out that it was caused by defective parts. And among the persons involved with the company that sold the parts is McCabe's son.

Hey, Steve, great to see you active on this thread again! After rediscovering Magnum P.I. and enjoying that show so much, I've been curious about Jake and the Fatman, esp. the Hawaiian years, so it was interesting reading your thoughts on the series.

I was a big fan of the early seasons of Northern Exposure (bailed after Rob Morrow left the show) and enjoyed its quirky characters and the slow-burn romance between Morrow's Joel and Janine Turner's Maggie. Not sure what I'd make of it now, though...

Like you, I try not to watch a show on TV if I already own it on DVD or Blu-Ray, but sometimes it does pan out that way, particularly if the wife is involved. For some reason, she's more willing to watch something on Netflix or Amazon Prime than wait for me to load up a disc.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm on the next to the last episode of Disc 1 of S5 of The Beverly Hillbillies. I have pretty well avoided edited episodes all of these years, only catching bits and pieces here and there, plus the unedited episodes I have from Columbia House and what I'd taped off local TV in the late 80's.

Count me impressed. Audio and video are top notch for episodes that are over 50 years old. I wish Jed could get the blu-ray treatment after seeing Gilligan's Island in HD, but I know that's a pipe dream. These are outstanding in comparison to the 16mm films WREG used for 20+ years with streaks and lines going through them! The only thing that seems strange is not seeing the "V of Doom" Viacom logo that followed the episodes in syndication. The "CBS Home Entertainment" logo just doesn't mesh with vintage episodes, but they did retain Ellie Mae and "this has been a Filmways presentation."

If anybody from CBS is reading this, let me say wonderful job, but this series should have been finished years ago. Going two years between seasons is ridiculous!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I can't get my computer to cooperate on getting a screen grab on the new DVD set, but here's a screen grab of an episode from the old Columbia House tapes. Compare this to just the resolution of a DVD! The VHS version isn't nearly as sharp and looks pale in comparison to the newly restored episodes.
2ibppu.jpg

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #3
“Incident at El Crucero”
written by Charles Larson
directed by Earl Bellamy
music by Nathan Scott
guests: Elizabeth Montgomery, Gene Evans, L.Q. Jones

It’s a light episode concerning the Cornelius’, a family of jayhawkers, led by an iron woman blocking the path to the river with barbed wire but Gil Favor steps into and become the new sheriff to solve the issue. In the process, Yates receives some buckshots in the butt and Favor falls in love with the leading lady. It's funny to witness actress Elizabeth Montgomery in a rough edge part. From 18:38 to 19:07, the print hasn't been restored and we can see many scratches. Composer Nathan Scott is a former Twilight Zone composer and previously worked on Rawhide.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I can't get my computer to cooperate on getting a screen grab on the new DVD set, but here's a screen grab of an episode from the old Columbia House tapes. Compare this to just the resolution of a DVD! The VHS version isn't nearly as sharp and looks pale in comparison to the newly restored episodes. View attachment 50613

Is this a grab from The Beverly Hillbillies, Ron? Which episode is that? Thought the woman on the right was Jo Ann Pflug at first, but apparently not. At any rate, I'm guessing the DVDs have to look quite a lot better.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is this a grab from The Beverly Hillbillies, Ron? Which episode is that? Thought the woman on the right was Jo Ann Pflug at first, but apparently not. At any rate, I'm guessing the DVDs have to look quite a lot better.
You are right, Jeff. That's Jo Ann Pflug appearing in "Granny Lives it Up," episode 11 in S5.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
D'oh! Somehow I had missed The Beverly Hillbillies credit on Ms. Pflug's IMDB page when I looked earlier. Only her second acting credit. Thanks, Howie!

Glad to hear the season 5 set transfers of TBH are looking good!

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Mission Impossible Sn.1 Episode 9 - A Spool There Was
Solid episode, maybe the most interesting part being that neither Willie or Barney appeared. Barbara Bain and Martin Landau are the only agents used.

Mission Impossible Sn.1 Episode 10 - The Carriers
This one makes up for the previous one by having all agents involved and adding George Takei as an extra one. Arthur Miller plays the main bad guy who is trying to spread a plague in America.

I was introduced to Mission Impossible by watching with my dad, and I really don't remember the first season. I prefer Peter Graves as the leader, but maybe only because that is what I was used to.

The Tall Man Sn.2 Episode 14 - The Legend Of Billy
A light hearted western that I enjoyed with Billy the Kid matching wits with a scoundrel newspaper writer. I like Barry Sullivan playing Par Garrett.

Cimarron City Sn.1 Episode 2 - Terror Town
This one is the opposite of The Tall Man, not light hearted at all. Four sadistic brothers are holding a bunch of men against their will to work a silver mine. One of the brothers is played by Dan Blocker from Bonanza in a small role.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
This one makes up for the previous one by having all agents involved and adding George Takei as an extra one. Arthur Miller plays the main bad guy who is trying to spread a plague in America.

It's Arthur Hill, by the way. It's an excellent season 1 episode that mirrors a Danger Man episode entitled "Colony Three".

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yeah, it never would let me do a screen grab of the official DVD's for some reason, but I could screen grab homemade all day long. Go figure!

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Mission Impossible Sn.1 Episode 9 - A Spool There Was
Solid episode, maybe the most interesting part being that neither Willie or Barney appeared. Barbara Bain and Martin Landau are the only agents used.

I was introduced to Mission Impossible by watching with my dad, and I really don't remember the first season. I prefer Peter Graves as the leader, but maybe only because that is what I was used to.

The Tall Man Sn.2 Episode 14 - The Legend Of Billy
A light hearted western that I enjoyed with Billy the Kid matching wits with a scoundrel newspaper writer. I like Barry Sullivan playing Par Garrett.

Cimarron City Sn.1 Episode 2 - Terror Town
This one is the opposite of The Tall Man, not light hearted at all. Four sadistic brothers are holding a bunch of men against their will to work a silver mine. One of the brothers is played by Dan Blocker from Bonanza in a small role.

That's my memory of mission impossible as well. Watching them now brings back old memories.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

This is one of the best episodes of the series, as far as I'm concerned. I always like it when there is a guest star added to the IMF team. I know many prefer Peter Graves in the show, but I'm an odd one. I hadn't ever watched Mission: Impossible (wasn't shown in syndication where I grew up) until the season one DVD came out, so Steven Hill as Dan Briggs is who I became used to as team leader (even though they write him out of the main story of many episodes in the latter half of the season.) I like Graves just fine but prefer Hill for that reason. Also, season one seems more varied, and more human. The formula is a little less set in stone at that stage.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #4

“Incident of the Travellin’ Man”
written by ‘associate producer’ Paul King
directed by Ted Hang’Em High Post
guests: Simon Oakland, Robert Middleton, Robert Donner, James B. Sikking

“Where I grew up, leg irons meant only one thing.”
—Jim Quince.
“Chain gang.”
—Joe Sclarlet

Up on the river, Hey Soos and Toothless spot a body lying on a floating beam. They remove the body and the drovers surround the man who wear chain-gang's irons on his ankles. From the start, Yates is skeptical and unfriendly. Later on, we learn the man is Bolivar Jagger running away from abusive proprietor Matt Harger who pop-ups to claim the fugitive. Favor protects Jagger and asks for the law. To help Quince and Scarlet, Jagger even cuts the throat of a troublesome cow with Wishbone’s cooking knife: the outfit resent that initiative. Returning from a trip, Favor and Yates find wounded Mushy and Wishbone while Jagger escapes from the camp to avoid justice. Things are not what they appear to be… Favor is on his way to track down Jagger and avenge Wishbone!

It’s a good two-faced character episode written by associate producer Paul King. The film-making and the performance of Simon Oakland are noteworthy and he even sing a tune (“And if I had-n my way, I’d tear the building down”) with the outfit around a fire. Notice the opening titles for Act I: the episode title and the writer/director credits appear with a wipe transition during a long lateral dolly shot depicting Mushy walking along a river but seen at a remote distance. Find the return of Rawhide’s best director Ted Post and, here and there, Post inserts some quick zoom shot and lights some scenes with a Film Noir leaning. Both actors Robert Middleton and Robert Donner return from previous seasons.

Amongst the best of the season!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #5

“Incident at Paradise”
written by Charles Larson
directed by Thomas Carr
guests: Burgess Meredith, Beau Bridges, Patty McCormack, Arch Johnson, Peter Helm

It’s a little story depicting a big land owner refusing a settler to occupy his farm when Yates steps into the conflict by chance and takes the side of the modest farmer but in the meantime a catastrophy occurs: the dam is about to explode and flood the region.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #6

“Incident at Farragut Pass”
written by Jack Turley
directed by Thomas Carr
guests: Frankie Avalon, Glenda Farrell, John Pickard

It’s a spoiled rich teenager forced to join the cattle drive of Gil Favor for training. Favor is compeled to accept a green teenager because of an agreement with a wealthy old lady land owner named Farragut in order to let pass and water his herd. In the process, Yates gets clubbed by the gang of the punk rich boy at the saloon but Yates takes his revenge and fails to drown the teenager to teach him a lesson. The troublemaker teenager provokes Scarlet during ordeals and also tries to educate and subvert poor Mushy. In the end, the teenager gets the greatest punishment of all. As in “Incident at Paradise”, Yates faces an arrogant young man.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Stoney Burke - The Complete Series
The Contender (1.1) Philip Abbott, Carl Benton Reid, Kate Manx.
From IMDB: In his striving to be a rodeo champion, Stoney Burke must contend with a self-serving friend, an unscrupulous promoter, a young punk itching for a fight, a beautiful woman betrothed to a rival, and the meanest bronc on the circuit--Megaton.
What a way to start the episode. Wasn't sure how well I would take to Jack Lord in this role. He seemed cold, distant and unsure of himself while in the hospital scenes which led to his accident. Self doubt in a leading character was unusual. By the end of the episode, he had gained respect from Cody, E.J. and Erlie. He seems ready to be the star of the series. I was eager to view the next episode.

Fight Night (1.2) Edgar Buchanan, Alan Bunce, George Mitchell, Bill Zuckert, Leonard Nimoy.
From IMDB: Political rivals in Kate City use the rodeo and a prizefighter as pawns in their grudge match. When the boxing interests attempt to bully the rodeo into postponing its event, Stoney sets out to fight city hall.
If possible I enjoyed this episode more than the pilot. Edgar Buchanan plays oily politician extremely well and I was surprised to see Leonard Nimoy as a prizefighter. Engaging story that pulled me in. I think I am going to like the fine line that Ves appears to be walking, great job by Warren Oates.

This seems to be another series that I will need to ration out since there is only one season. I am reminded of The Fugitive by the outstanding use of "real" locations. The rodeo footage must have looked better on smaller displays but it does not distract to much from what I am viewing. I am so glad that this show was talked about in such glowing terms. Seems to be a great purchase.

The High Chapparal - Season 1
The Filibusteros (1.8) Dan O'Herlihy, Frank Silvera. Always good to see an appearance by Senor Montoya. Very interesting story. A story of divided loyalties; Mano and his family vs. Jake Lanier and Buck.
The Doctor From Dodge (1.9) Jack Kelly, Bob Hoy. The title had me thinking of Doc Adams, but I should have known better. A very enjoyable episode since the doctor (dentist) had a fluid code of honor. Easy to guess who he actually was. Enjoyed the look on Big John's face when he realized his identity.
Sudden Country (1.10) John Kerr, Jan Shepard, Robert Hernandez, King Moody. Greenhorn with romantic fantasies of life out west does everything wrong and nearly loses his wife to Buck. This episode had more print damage than any prior episode and the story was a bit melodramatic in making its point. Not a bad episode but definitely goes out of the way to show how unrealistic Creed Hallock approaches life out west.

Perry Mason - Season 5
The Case of the Poison Pen-Pal (5.20) Everett Sloane, Patricia Breslin, Douglas Henderson, Bert Freed, Wright King. Mergers and investments discussed in a child's pen-pal correspondence leads to trouble.
The Case of the Mystified Miner (5.21) Kathie Browne, Josephine Hutchinson, Carlos Rivas, Bartlett Robinson. A dedicated secretary who keeps telling the truth but is not believed, (maybe because she meets the modern day definition of "blonde").
The Case of the Crippled Cougar (5.22) Bill Williams, John Howard, Mort Mills. An old injury, a new oil find, and a plan to catch a thief that that stole securities just backfires.
The Case of the Absent Artist (5.23) Zazu Pitts, Mark Roberts, Victor Buono, Richard Erdman, Arline Martel. Similar storyline concerning artist given a beatnik approach by Victor Buono. Double life and the con man wants to escape. He does in a way. I liked this one.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Stoney Burke - The Complete Series
The Contender (1.1) Philip Abbott, Carl Benton Reid, Kate Manx.
From IMDB: In his striving to be a rodeo champion, Stoney Burke must contend with a self-serving friend, an unscrupulous promoter, a young punk itching for a fight, a beautiful woman betrothed to a rival, and the meanest bronc on the circuit--Megaton.
What a way to start the episode. Wasn't sure how well I would take to Jack Lord in this role. He seemed cold, distant and unsure of himself while in the hospital scenes which led to his accident. Self doubt in a leading character was unusual. By the end of the episode, he had gained respect from Cody, E.J. and Erlie. He seems ready to be the star of the series. I was eager to view the next episode.

Fight Night (1.2) Edgar Buchanan, Alan Bunce, George Mitchell, Bill Zuckert, Leonard Nimoy.
From IMDB: Political rivals in Kate City use the rodeo and a prizefighter as pawns in their grudge match. When the boxing interests attempt to bully the rodeo into postponing its event, Stoney sets out to fight city hall.
If possible I enjoyed this episode more than the pilot. Edgar Buchanan plays oily politician extremely well and I was surprised to see Leonard Nimoy as a prizefighter. Engaging story that pulled me in. I think I am going to like the fine line that Ves appears to be walking, great job by Warren Oates.

This seems to be another series that I will need to ration out since there is only one season. I am reminded of The Fugitive by the outstanding use of "real" locations. The rodeo footage must have looked better on smaller displays but it does not distract to much from what I am viewing. I am so glad that this show was talked about in such glowing terms. Seems to be a great purchase.

The pilot “The Contender” is excellent and features a good ensemble of actors and a good score by Dominic Frontiere.
Actress Kate Manx was the wife of director Leslie Stevens, by the way.
The series Stoney Burke deserves a fully restored Blu-ray edition by Kino Lorber.
Doug, don’t miss the next week trailer at the end of the episodes.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The pilot “The Contender” is excellent and features a good ensemble of actors and a good score by Dominic Frontiere.
Actress Kate Manx was the wife of director Leslie Stevens, by the way.
The series Stoney Burke deserves a fully restored Blu-ray edition by Kino Lorber.
Doug, don’t miss the next week trailer at the end of the episodes.

I always watch to the end of the episode, a habit I cultivated growing up when the network showed all of the credit sequence :D .

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #7

“Incident at Two Graves”
written by Al C. Ward and Samuel Roeca
story by Al C. Ward
directed by Harry Harris
music by Leon Klatzkin
guests: Bill Travers, Steve Brodie, Don Haggerty, Dennis Cross

It’s a tired strong Irish fighter tale in which Yates is compelled to accept a challenge and later on saves the neck of the Irishman from the town mob and makes him work at the cattle drive but Favor resents his peculiar persona. The Irishman sees through Yates his own son. The fight scene between Yates and the Irishman O’Neil is intercut by hand-held camera shots and during the drive, you can notice some zoom shots. The episode is punctuated by the narration of the Irishman all along while he carries with him his own headstone. The music score by Leon Klatzkin enhances the uncanny atmosphere produced by the newcomer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks