What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (6 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Combat
A Gift Of Hope (3.11) Anthony Eisley, Rip Torn. During R&R, Kirby spots a man who he believes deserted their company during a horrific skirmish, Saunders believes the man is dead. Once again the man is seen, Kirby is correct but the Sergeant (Torn) has an excuse. Saunders and the man go on a fact finding trip to see if his “story” can be verified. At every turn, there appears to be no evidence that he was a victim as opposed to running. Saunders and he are pinned down under fire and the truth is exposed. He didn't run away, he was aided by the French resistance, he just didn't recover and return as soon as he could. He enjoyed his recuperation. He almost left the wounded Saunders and was still thinking of deserting until he crossed paths with some very inexperienced “replacements”. He found his purpose.

A Walk With An Eagle (3.24) Lee Phillips, William Cort, Pat Colby. While returning from a mission with Doc, Privates Harmon and Palmer, Lt. Hanley is assigned to rescue a downed pilot, Maj. Caldwell (Phillips) behind enemy lines. Caldwell is a valuable asset and a very arrogant, stubborn person. He refuses to leave without his wing man who has also been shot down. This places the rescue in jeopardy since the pilot is only experienced in the air and not on the ground. Excellent acting by Phillips as the pilot.

Birthday Cake (3.15) Phillip Pine, Jean Del Val. Littlejohn has received a birthday gift from his mother, a cake he is not to open until his birthday. It is tomorrow and he is carrying the cake everywhere, even on a recon mission where he creates problems on their mission. The recon mission needs a soldier who can speak German. Saunders picks Private Cantrell (Pine), sue to return home trough rotation. He doesn't want to go on a mission and is being a pain who ends up wounded. Cantrell blames Littlejohn.

The Cassock (3.17) James Whitmore, Mart Hulswit. As our troops enter a French Village, the Germans are trying to destroy a bridge. Hertzbrun (Whitmore) nearly succeeds. Since receiving a minor leg wound, he impersonates a priest. He hopes to continue with setting the explosives to detonate. Saunders and company are happy to find an ally. They do not realize he is still attempting to complete his mission. He is tripped up by his lack of Catholic knowledge as one of Saunder's men is a devout Catholic. Excellent episode.

The cream of the crop remains:

“The Cassock”
directed by Bernard McEveety
guest: James Whitmore
The german infiltrator theme is well-treated thanks to James Whitmore’s solid performance as a disguised priest.

“A Gift of Hope”
guests: Rip Torn, Anthony Eisley
This redemption story relies on Rip Torn’s shoulder playing a depressed iron Sgt. otherwise the deserter theme is old-new and the episode contains long flashbacks (the trench, the nightly barren no-man’s land) as in a court-room oriented drama (see “Hill 256” and “Point of View”) because Saunders is questioned by a Lieutenant and ultimately must prove his innocence. It also starts as a Kirby narrative in which he meets an old friend during the flashbacks. As in “The Sniper”, the deserter reported MIA is dressed as a local Frenchman to move as a chameleon.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
Eleven Days To Zero (1.1) Eddie Albert, John Zaremba, Werner Klemperer/Theo Marcuse, Mark Slade, Booth Colman. I am saving the color version after I finish the episodes in order. This does everything that a pilot should do. High stakes – survival against an unfathomable natural disaster, lots of action, conflict with the government and finally, being out of touch with the team deploying the “cure”. Oh, we also have enemy agents trying to sabotage the Seaview.

The City Beneath The Sea (1.2) Hurd Hatfield, Linda Cristal. Standard spy plot utilizing Capt. Crane trying to foil a low rent Dr. No (Hatfield). Great eye candy in underwater scenes with Linda Cristal.

The Fear-Makers (1.3) Edgar Bergen, Lloyd Bochner, Walter Brooke. We get to see Bergen without Charlie McCarthy playing a scientist with an unscrupulous assistant (Bochner at his nasty best). Ostensibly on board to study crew reactions to stress. He is actually testing a mist that can induce and increase people's fear reaction. A rather well written and intense episode.

The Mist Of Silence (1.4) Rita Gam, Alejandro Rey, Henry Darrow, Booth Colman, Mike Kellin. Another spy episode. Mike Kellin chews the scenery as a wanna be dictator. Nelson and Crane are trying to help a Central American country determine who the real tyrant is. Is it the wanna be or the wartime hero who now appears to be a puppet? A resistance leader is along to make the choice.

The Price Of Doom (1.5) Steve Ihnat, Pat Priest, David Opatoshu, John Milford, Jill Ireland. The first rubber suited monster episode. Story is promising, the episode rises and falls on the monster version of the evil plankton. Story written by Cordwainer Bird (Harlan Ellison). I believe this was the first time he used his pen name. He did not want to be associated with this version of his story.

The Sky Is Falling (1.6) Charles McGraw, Adam Williams, Frank Ferguson. Re-use of opening footage from The Day The Earth Stood Still. Interesting story showing trust and acceptance from the Admiral and Captain as well as from the alien who needs help to repair his spacecraft. A shame that the military elite are stuck on the “attack at all costs” mindset.

For the most part, I have enjoyed getting reacquainted with this series. I know that it eventually goes in the direction of LIS, but for now I am happy I picked this up.

The cream of the crop is:

The Gas Duo

“The Fear-Makers”
This is the first defector working for the Soviet bloc entry. Again, you can feel tension between men and Lloyd Bochner’s saboteur performance is very engaging. The gas-induced fear is an attractive idea and the way it is smuggled (a canister hidden through the back of a mini reel player) and planted (in the air duct) is effective. The episode was broadcast September 28, 1964, and one week after, the same artificial fear concept was recycled in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode entitled The Quadripartite Affair. First episode with Sparks on the radio. The music score is by Hugo Friedhofer and Alexander Courage.

“The Mist of Silence”
A very tough espionage intrigue that deals with a South American military junta which manipulates a puppet president and that is supported by Red China which provides a nerve gas named Lethion. Four Seaview members are gased down in the ocean, abducted and put into a cell and Crane must make a public confession otherwise his three men will be shot down by the firing squad: only Farrell dies and Patterson is saved at the last minute. Nelson joins the commando of the inner resistance forces and hijacks a truck of gas. The guest cast is very good: Mike Kellin as the vicious General Esteban d’Alvarez who uses the serum of his ring to blind Crane and Nelson, Henry Darrow as Captain Serra. Find a footage from the pilot that is used twice: the plane which drops bombs on the Seaview. Hugo Friedhofer’s martial score is powerful.

Part Sci-fi-Part Espionage

“The Price of Doom”
Good characters’ intercourses and inner tension with a great guest cast (David Opatoshu as the dying German scientist who is always accused, Jill Ireland as the Soviet operative posing as a scientist, John Milford as the zealous financier); I adore the prologue with Steve Ihnat whose last word is the scientifical code “Anna”. First Artic base episode that is called “Ice Station T” (ticktock). Find footages from the pilot: the first dive with the rushed sailors, the surface of Seaview at 45°, the explosion due to the bobby-trap triggered by a radio lighter. The music score is by Hugo Friedhofer and Alexander Courage.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Combat
A Gift Of Hope (3.11) Anthony Eisley, Rip Torn. During R&R, Kirby spots a man who he believes deserted their company during a horrific skirmish, Saunders believes the man is dead. Once again the man is seen, Kirby is correct but the Sergeant (Torn) has an excuse. Saunders and the man go on a fact finding trip to see if his “story” can be verified. At every turn, there appears to be no evidence that he was a victim as opposed to running. Saunders and he are pinned down under fire and the truth is exposed. He didn't run away, he was aided by the French resistance, he just didn't recover and return as soon as he could. He enjoyed his recuperation. He almost left the wounded Saunders and was still thinking of deserting until he crossed paths with some very inexperienced “replacements”. He found his purpose.
Great and compelling reviews as always, Doug! A Gift Of Hope is for me, one of the top 10 episodes in the whole series-compelling story, beautifully acted by the twin powerhouses of Rip Torn and Vic Morrow! Rip Torn's Sergeant Avery is the toughest soldier that Vic Morrow's Sergeant Saunders has ever known. And when Avery finally breaks while trying to endure the unendurable, it shakes Saunders to his core in wondering when he himself will break. As with that final scene as a wounded Saunders is told by a medic that he'll be "OK", he responds cryptically: "I'll let you know". That terrific monologue spoken by Rip Torn describing his breakdown as a metaphor for being like "scared money", after 2 years of being a "money player" in relentless combat all the way from North Africa..."I cry a lot"... just sends a shiver up my spine!, effectively accompanied by Rosenman's great music. IMHO, one of the single best scenes in the whole series!

Glad that you're enjoying Combat!, Doug! I think that season three is extraordinary in quality, just so many truly great episodes! No sign of this series losing steam, the phenomenal studio facilities of MGM are put to good use, as with the 'European village', the train station etc. Combat!'s ultra-competent directors (including two superb directorial efforts by Vic Morrow, Losers Cry Deal, Cry in the Ruins ), great scripts and terrifically staged action (The Duel, Operation Flytrap, The Hell Machine), the best big name guest stars...this show has it all! One of the greatest television dramas of the 1960s, and one of my top 5 of all time.
A Walk With An Eagle (3.24) Lee Phillips, William Cort, Pat Colby. While returning from a mission with Doc, Privates Harmon and Palmer, Lt. Hanley is assigned to rescue a downed pilot, Maj. Caldwell (Phillips) behind enemy lines. Caldwell is a valuable asset and a very arrogant, stubborn person. He refuses to leave without his wing man who has also been shot down. This places the rescue in jeopardy since the pilot is only experienced in the air and not on the ground. Excellent acting by Phillips as the pilot.
As you said Doug, excellent action episode and a wonderfully staged chase sequence. Filmed beautifully at the Korbel Winery in Napa County!
Birthday Cake (3.15) Phillip Pine, Jean Del Val. Littlejohn has received a birthday gift from his mother, a cake he is not to open until his birthday. It is tomorrow and he is carrying the cake everywhere, even on a recon mission where he creates problems on their mission. The recon mission needs a soldier who can speak German. Saunders picks Private Cantrell (Pine), sue to return home trough rotation. He doesn't want to go on a mission and is being a pain who ends up wounded. Cantrell blames Littlejohn.
I'm fond of this one too, although there's real drama and tension in this action-packed one, it's memorable as one of the rare lighthearted episodes, filmed in Napa also. The squad's dynamic is richly drawn.
The Cassock (3.17) James Whitmore, Mart Hulswit. As our troops enter a French Village, the Germans are trying to destroy a bridge. Hertzbrun (Whitmore) nearly succeeds. Since receiving a minor leg wound, he impersonates a priest. He hopes to continue with setting the explosives to detonate. Saunders and company are happy to find an ally. They do not realize he is still attempting to complete his mission. He is tripped up by his lack of Catholic knowledge as one of Saunder's men is a devout Catholic. Excellent episode.
Terrific suspense, James Whitmore being one of the all-time great character actors. He elevates everything he was in. Excellent use of the MGM European village!

With season three, Combat! broadened it's horizons with a half-dozen episodes filmed in snowbound Squaw Valley, second unit establishing shots filmed in the Chateau country of the Loire Valley of Southern France, and productive sojourns to Franklin Canyon, San Bernardino, Thousand Oaks, and the Korbel winery for this prestige production!
Ellery Queen
The Adventure Of Veronica's Veils (1.9) Barbara Rhoades (!!!), George Burns, John Hillerman, William Demarest, Don Porter, Jack Carter, Julie Adams. What more is needed in an episode? Barbara Rhoades playing a stripper. Oh, there is a murder and Ellery figures it out. Always amazed at the cast in these episodes. Interesting twist having the victim already dead when the episode begins and seeing him only in a prerecorded film. Always fun to see Simon (Hillerman) in an episode.

The Adventure Of The Pharaoh's Curse (1.10) Simon Oakland, June Lockhart, Nehemiah Persoff, Ross Martin, John Hillerman, Wallace Rooney, and in an early bit part – John Larroquette. Ellery Queen is trying to finish a novel and keeps getting distracted by his father's latest case involving a mummy and a curse. The ending of this one was a surprise. It is so much fun watching Hutton and Wayne inhabit their characters. They seem like father and son. Between the casts and their interactions, I have never been able to understand why this show did not succeed.
Mostly because of your enthusiastic reviews for Ellery Queen, I picked up the UK Fabulous Films' region free DVD set, and have enjoyed what I've seen thus far! As you point out, the guest cast is fantastic in every episode. I love the retro 1946 post-war setting, even if they don't always accomplish the recreation of that era convincingly. I sure wish we could have gotten good DVD releases of QM's two 1930s action-detective shows from the 1970s, Banyon and Manhunter. There was a Renaissance of interest in that era in the Hollywood of the '70s...it just seems to lend itself to optimistic mystery-adventure!

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, funny to see mention of the Gerry Andersen shows a few pages ago. I have been on a sort of a bender as I’ve been indulging in several episodes of Stingray, the first episode of Fireball XL5 and of course several Thunderbirds episodes on blu ray in the last two weeks. I’m going to upgrade the Fireball XL5, Stingray and likely Supercar from the DVD’s to the blu ray sets from Network.

And since this is the 4th of July weekend, I’ve been indulging in the Twilight Zone binge on Decades TV plus seeing a few special epsiodes on blu ray sets.

I’ve also been continuing to see The Fugitive and Taxi episodes. I’m thinking to also add Remington Steele to my rotation. I have the sets, but haven’t opened them yet. Same with Moonlighting.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
One of the uncredited stars of this series was the 1970's Los Angeles location shots. One could almost consider those as "vintage" now--which makes it even more fascinating to an Angelenophile such as myself.

BTW...congrats, Jeff, on surpassing the 10,000 reaction score to your posts. That must put you in the vaunted echelon of of "like"ables in HTF--and well deserved. Keep penning your great commentaries!

Just as The Streets of San Francisco had 70s San Francisco/Bay Area location shots that were the benchmark of that ABC police procedural.

Older exterior location shots of Los Angeles (in glorious B&W) is one of the main reasons I like watching Perry Mason.

I used to have a Google link from around 2005 of the exterior street view of The Daily Planet building frontage, that was of course used in The Adventures Of Superman.
It was a great unmistakable view of the familiar frontage, that no longer is a available.
I doubt I still have a screenshot of it backed up somewhere, if in fact I took one at all.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Monday
Alice Season 2 Episode 2 The Indian Taker

Psych Season 2 Episode 6 Meat is Murder but Murder is also Murder

Tuesday
The Middle Season 1 episode 21 Worry Duty
Perry Mason Season 1 Episode 29 The Case of the Hesitant Hostess
Haven't watched a bad episode yet, only 242 episodes to go

Wednesday
SCTV
Warehouse 13 season 2 episode 5 13.1

Thursday
Webster
Season 1 episode 3 Consulting Adults
Wonder Woman Season 2 Episode 7 The Queen and the Thief

Friday

Leave it to Beaver Season 4 episode 11 Chuckie's New Shoes
Star Trek The Original Series Season 2 episode 1 Amok Time

Saturday

What's New Scooby Doo season 1 episode 3 Space Ape at the Cape
Dr. Who Season 12 Episode 1 Robot part one
Tom Baker was outstanding in his first appearance as the fourth incarnation of Dr. Who
Wagon Train Season 1 Episode 2 The Jean LeBec Story
Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier

Sunday
Twilight Zone season 1 episode 6 Escape Clause
Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman Season 2 Episode 4 The Incident
Going into the week I expected to be writing about Perry Mason, Star Trek, or Wagon Train but this outstanding modern western turned in the best episode of the week. It starts off with a tragic hunting accident that ends up involving the whole town and potentially the whole territory. The episode involves every member of the extensive ensemble cast each one with their own storyline. There's is plenty of tension and drama right up until the end and it went by very quickly.

Dr. Quinn Undecided at first she stands up to the towns people who want to form a posse.
Sully Witness to the incident he shines in this episode as he tries to make peace between the Cheyenne and towns people.
Matthew Cooper Gets bullied and beat up at school for sticking up for the Indians
Colleen and Brian Cooper Help avert a massacre by the calvary.
Dorothy Learns about the power of the press when her newspaper article incites the town to violence
Hank Almost starts a blood bath when the Cheyenne come to town for justice
Jake His true colors come out when he kills a Cheyenne brave while deer hunting and then tries to blame everyone else.
Rev. Johnson Wants to call the calvary when Dr. Quinn and Sully have been gone to the reservation for over a day.
Horace Initially succumbs to peer pressure but finally does the right thing.
Myra Convinces Horace to do the right thing
Cloud Dancing His friendship with Sully gets tested when they get into a knockdown fight over the incident
Loren Part of the hunting party, he lies about what really happened.

Jake hunting deer
1657028001623.png

Horace gets winged by the Cheyenne
1657028038582.png

Sully stands up for the truth
1657028080183.png

Not Jake's finest moment
1657028123717.png

Almost a shootout between the Cheyenne and towns people
1657028157052.png

Cheyenne brave pointing out the guilty party
1657028196996.png

Cloud Dancing
1657028229955.png

Hank almost starts a shootout
1657028274058.png

Standoff in town
1657028302786.png

1657028329481.png

The Dog Soldiers take turns on Jake
1657028378484.png

1657028421434.png

Last edited:

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Finally got the TV room put back together after painting and new carpet, and actually started using it again.
Tuesday
Bob Newhart Show Season 2
Ep4-Somebody Down Here Likes Me
Ep5-Emily In For Carol

Newhart Season 2:
Ep6-Don't Rain On My Parade
Ep7-Lady and the Tramps

Wednesday
Rockford Files Season 2:
Ep5-The Deep Blue Sleep

Spenser For Hire Season 1:
Ep1-Promised Land

Thursday
That Girl Season 5:
Ep4-No Man's a Manhattan Island

Frasier Season 1:
Ep9-Selling Out

Friday
Mod Squad Season 1:
Ep5-You Can't Tell the Players Without a Programmer

The Closer Season 1:
Ep5-Flashpoint

Sunday
Columbo Season 1:
Ep1-Murder by the Book

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Have advanced to the second go on Quantum Leap (1989-90), and thought I might say that at this point, the title sequence has changed to the version that would last the show through the last four seasons, even with a change of title track for the fifth and final go (1992-93).

Here is a compilation of all the title sequences (including some end credits); it includes the one from the brief first go in 1989, the one that we know and love in its first three seasons (1989-92), and the latter opening w/fifth-and-final-season track (1992-93):

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Dennis The Menace
"Out of Retirement" (S2E1)

It's hard to think of Mr. Wilson as a business magnate, especially since he's continually bested by a 10 year-old kid with an annoying voice and bad hair. Yet Mr. Wilson (Joseph Kearns) is asked to come out of his 5 year retirement to head up the Pittsburgh branch of Kramer Business Machines, Inc. Wilson is so excited that he attempts a Fred Astaire imitation for his wife, Martha--executed with all the grace and agility of a platypus on skis. Although smiling on the outside, Martha silently invokes that there's no fool like an old fool. She has to remind her husband that they will have to pack up and move to Pennsylvania. From where, we're not entirely sure as TV shows from this era seemed reluctant to geographically pinpoint an actual state from which it hails, relying more on locations in non-descript towns like Springfield, Hilldale, Middletown and the like.

For some bizarre reason, Dennis (Jan North) takes great umbrage to Mr. Wilson moving--a man whose entire being is enveloped in disapproval of this kid's every action and makes it known. To develop some strategy to keep Mr. Wilson put, he calls upon his friend Joey--who's not quite a young Bill Gates at entrepreneurial thought process. The best the two could come up with is singing "He's A Jolly Good Fellow" outside Wilson's house. It doesn't work. Since Dennis thinks he's the sole reason for Wilson leaving, he decides to run away himself--all the way to Joey's house two blocks down. At some point, the Family Services Division needs to carefully scrutinize the relationship between the 65 year-old Wilson and young Dennis. Consternation over Dennis' disappearance is high among the Wilsons and the Mitchells, thus initiating what passes for that time period's Amber Alert a newscast announcing the missing boy and absurdly adding that Mr. Wilson has agreed not to relocate--just in case Dennis is listening.

1657114991513.png
1657115013316.png
1657115074607.png

Mr. Wilson gets an offer he can't refuse; This is just sooo wrong; Dennis and Joey discuss Deep State issues

Thrilled to learn this, Dennis rushes home to hug Mr. Wilson (again, somebody needs to alert Family Services) in joy and relief. I guess the hope is that the ending creates some sort of heart-warming moment--but instead comes across as a cloyingly farcical conclusion to an equally farcical premise. Poorly written and executed, and never remotely touching.

I never found this show entertaining or amusing. Or the comic strip.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
Eleven Days To Zero (1.1) Eddie Albert, John Zaremba, Werner Klemperer/Theo Marcuse, Mark Slade, Booth Colman. I am saving the color version after I finish the episodes in order. This does everything that a pilot should do. High stakes – survival against an unfathomable natural disaster, lots of action, conflict with the government and finally, being out of touch with the team deploying the “cure”. Oh, we also have enemy agents trying to sabotage the Seaview.

The City Beneath The Sea (1.2) Hurd Hatfield, Linda Cristal. Standard spy plot utilizing Capt. Crane trying to foil a low rent Dr. No (Hatfield). Great eye candy in underwater scenes with Linda Cristal.

The Fear-Makers (1.3) Edgar Bergen, Lloyd Bochner, Walter Brooke. We get to see Bergen without Charlie McCarthy playing a scientist with an unscrupulous assistant (Bochner at his nasty best). Ostensibly on board to study crew reactions to stress. He is actually testing a mist that can induce and increase people's fear reaction. A rather well written and intense episode.

The Mist Of Silence (1.4) Rita Gam, Alejandro Rey, Henry Darrow, Booth Colman, Mike Kellin. Another spy episode. Mike Kellin chews the scenery as a wanna be dictator. Nelson and Crane are trying to help a Central American country determine who the real tyrant is. Is it the wanna be or the wartime hero who now appears to be a puppet? A resistance leader is along to make the choice.

The Price Of Doom (1.5) Steve Ihnat, Pat Priest, David Opatoshu, John Milford, Jill Ireland. The first rubber suited monster episode. Story is promising, the episode rises and falls on the monster version of the evil plankton. Story written by Cordwainer Bird (Harlan Ellison). I believe this was the first time he used his pen name. He did not want to be associated with this version of his story.

The Sky Is Falling (1.6) Charles McGraw, Adam Williams, Frank Ferguson. Re-use of opening footage from The Day The Earth Stood Still. Interesting story showing trust and acceptance from the Admiral and Captain as well as from the alien who needs help to repair his spacecraft. A shame that the military elite are stuck on the “attack at all costs” mindset.

For the most part, I have enjoyed getting reacquainted with this series. I know that it eventually goes in the direction of LIS, but for now I am happy I picked this up.
Not quite as bad as LIS got mostly because the actors and the series played it straight throughout. But yeah, this series started off strong. It was absurdly good. The season tends to get a little stodgy at times, but tends to stay pretty sober for all 32 episodes. The pilot is no-nonsense action storytelling. Very fast paced and a lot of fun!

The cream of the crop remains:

“The Cassock”
guest: James Whitmore
The german infiltrator theme is well-treated thanks to James Whitmore’s solid performance as a disguised priest.

“A Gift of Hope”
guests: Rip Torn, Anthony Eisley
This redemption story relies on Rip Torn’s shoulder playing a depressed iron Sgt. otherwise the deserter theme is old-new and the episode contains long flashbacks (the trench, the nightly barren no-man’s land) as in a court-room oriented drama (see “Hill 256” and “Point of View”) because Saunders is questioned by a Lieutenant and ultimately must prove his innocence. It also starts as a Kirby narrative in which he meets an old friend during the flashbacks. As in “The Sniper”, the deserter reported MIA is dressed as a local Frenchman to move as a chameleon.

The cream of the crop is:

The Gas Duo

“The Fear-Makers”
This is the first defector working for the Soviet bloc entry. Again, you can feel tension between men and Lloyd Bochner’s saboteur performance is very engaging. The gas-induced fear is an attractive idea and the way it is smuggled (a canister hidden through the back of a mini reel player) and planted (in the air duct) is effective. The episode was broadcast September 28, 1964, and one week after, the same artificial fear concept was recycled in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode entitled The Quadripartite Affair. First episode with Sparks on the radio. The music score is by Hugo Friedhofer and Alexander Courage.

“The Mist of Silence”
A very tough espionage intrigue that deals with a South American military junta which manipulates a puppet president and that is supported by Red China which provides a nerve gas named Lethion. Four Seaview members are gased down in the ocean, abducted and put into a cell and Crane must make a public confession otherwise his three men will be shot down by the firing squad: only Farrell dies and Patterson is saved at the last minute. Nelson joins the commando of the inner resistance forces and hijacks a truck of gas. The guest cast is very good: Mike Kellin as the vicious General Esteban d’Alvarez who uses the serum of his ring to blind Crane and Nelson, Henry Darrow as Captain Serra. Find a footage from the pilot that is used twice: the plane which drops bombs on the Seaview. Hugo Friedhofer’s martial score is powerful.

Part Sci-fi-Part Espionage

“The Price of Doom”
Good characters’ intercourses and inner tension with a great guest cast (David Opatoshu as the dying German scientist who is always accused, Jill Ireland as the Soviet operative posing as a scientist, John Milford as the zealous financier); I adore the prologue with Steve Ihnat whose last word is the scientifical code “Anna”. First Artic base episode that is called “Ice Station T” (ticktock). Find footages from the pilot: the first dive with the rushed sailors, the surface of Seaview at 45°, the explosion due to the bobby-trap triggered by a radio lighter. The music score is by Hugo Friedhofer and Alexander Courage.
I'd add The Sky Is Falling to that list. But they're all - a their worst - "good" at this stage. The series really knocked them out of the park early on.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Star Trek
“The Lights of Zetar”
Season 3 Episode 18
Written by Shari Lewis & Jeremy Tarcher
Directed by Herb Kenwith
Original airdate: January 31, 1969

Scotty is smitten by Lt. Mira Romaine, a new arrival who is assigned to Memory Alpha, the largest library
complex in the Federation. En route, the Enterprise encounters strange lights which enter the ship
causing everyone to feel a different form of sensory disruption. Mira, though, it affected most strongly
and begins to see chilling visions of the near future. Turns out the lights are the remaining life energies
of the people of Zetar, a planet which was destroyed centuries earlier. They mean to take over the girl
and destroy the crew of the Enterprise.

Porkchop writes a Star Trek! Yup, that Shari Lewis. She devised a decent story about possession and love
that works fairly well for such a late series entry. It’s creepy in many places. The late Jan Shutan is
excellent as Mira and, as per usual with this series, looks lovelier than in most other appearances. Even
with multiple close ups of her eye (I swear producer Fred Freiberger swiped this idea for Maya’s
transformations in Space: 1999 year two).

The only really clunky note is the wildly sappy bits with Scotty fawning all over the young lady. While this
is pretty much how Scotty falls for women (see Who Mourns for Adonis) it’s still painful to watch this
nearly 50 year old man fawning over a girl half his age. In a VERY subtle touch, it is stated Romaine’s
father was a Starfleet Engineer, implying she sees her father in him.

Other than that, this is a solid “Exorcist in Space” story with a lot of first season pilot music used. It adds
a chill to the “10 pm Friday” episode. The third season tended to be more grim and spooky which I
attribute to the later time slot. Back in the 80’s and early 90’s, Star Trek ran in my area fairly late at night
and this episode takes on an added layer of horror in the dark quiet.

Jan Shutan is perfectly cast as she had a unique face which could go from sweet to goosebump inducing.
Herb Kenwith was a newcomer to Trek and does a fine job. Not a great episode but it is a good and
memorable one from a season most fans dismiss as crap.

Enjoy these low res screenshots from the DVD prints.​

20220706-085052.JPG
20220706-085107.JPG
20220706-085127.JPG
20220706-085216.JPG
20220706-085248.JPG
20220706-085255.JPG
20220706-085354.JPG
20220706-085407.JPG
20220706-085447.JPG
20220706-085509.JPG
20220706-085521.JPG
20220706-085542.JPG
20220706-085656.JPG
20220706-085739.JPG
20220706-085749.JPG
20220706-085821.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Gomer Pyle, USMC
1.20 "Sergeant Carter Gets a "Dear John" Letter"
Sgt. Carter (Frank Sutton) worries that other horndog G.I.s will muscle in on the action when he is forced to cancel a date with his hot-to-trot new girl, Geraldine (Sherry Jackson), so he asks the one man he can supposedly trust to not steal her away, good-natured Gomer (Jim Nabors), to take her out in his place. Soon afterward, Carter is shocked to receive a kiss off letter from Geraldine. Fuming, he orders Gomer to go out with her again, to find out which rat stole her away from him. It won't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's sweet-natured Gomer who has temporarily caught Geraldine's fickle eye. All grown up from her days on The Danny Thomas Show, Sherry Jackson was one world-class head-turner, and is shown to good effect here. We're talking babe city all the way...and as usual, when she has to kiss someone on camera...well, golllllllleeee, she really goes for it. Fun episode, capped by an amusing if undeniably sexist final gag.

vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h31m10s825.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h32m02s150.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h31m52s353.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h32m29s362.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h33m42s164.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h27m04s757.png

vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h34m21s765.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h27m45s186.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h27m50s336.png

vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h34m38s496.png

The Virginian
- 2.13 "Siege"
This is a Trampas episode, and a very good one, with nary a sign of any of Doug McClure's regular co-stars. Trampas wins big at poker and takes a little time off from the Shiloh ranch to head down New Mexico way, to Logan, the town where he used to live five years before...ostensibly, to pay back some outstanding debts, but mostly to see Carol, the girl he left behind (Elinor Donahue, sporting some kind of weird poodle 'do).

Turns out that the once shiftless, devil-may-care Trampas had been run out of town by Carol's brother, town banker Duke Logan (Phillip Carey), as not being a worthy candidate for his sister's hand. Trampas is initially popular upon his return, thanks to paying back many of the townsfolk, including old pal and hotelier, Charlie (Nestor Paiva), but is disappointed to learn that Carol is now married to the town marshal, Brett Cole (Ron Hayes). The philosophical Trampas is ready to move on, but changes his mind when some of the comancheros who have seemingly taken over the town murder the elderly rancher couple who he used to work for. A grim Trampas tracks down the killers, shoots one and brings the other two into the marshal's office to await trial. The comancheros' leader, Lopez (Joseph Campanella, playing it like a smiling yet deadly cobra) gives the town an ultimatum - set his men free, or suffer the consequences. Trampas refuses to back down, even when the town turns against him. Will he be left to stand against the comancheros alone, or will the marshal - a principled man who has taken the easy way out for too long - do the right thing and join the fray?

Some Virginian episodes leave me cold, but when this show hits, it really knocks it out of the park. There's nothing new plot-wise here, certainly, but as is true of many western and action/adventure stories, the proof of the tale is in the telling...and this is a damn fine episode, buoyed by mature writing and a strong cast giving good performances across the board. As far as I'm concerned, the character of Trampas is the pinnacle of Doug McClure's career, and he does sterling work here as the easygoing, playful saddle bum who, when pressed, quickly displays the iron core which resides beneath. Not a lot of action, but there's plenty of tense standoffs and terse confrontations to keep one's interest until the brief but well-staged final shootout. This is a real showcase for the square-jawed, quietly authoritative Ron Hayes, a journeyman actor who occasionally scored lead roles, such as in the one-season syndicated action series, Everglades. Also with Myron Healy, Ed Faulkner, The Time Tunnel's John Zaremba, and Ned Romero, as one of Lopez's henchmen.

vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h38m29s793.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h38m41s781.png

vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h38m51s476.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h41m44s152.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h42m13s688.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h42m51s135.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h43m02s283.png

vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h44m25s097.png
vlcsnap-2022-07-08-20h48m49s555.png

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
1.4 "The Fall Guy"
Ozzie quickly regrets advising David against allowing people to take advantage of his good nature, when he unthinkingly volunteers David to escort Thorny's visiting niece to a party.

1.5 "Halloween Party"
On Halloween night, Ozzie and Thorny decide to plan the yearly festivities instead of their wives. But their so-called meticulous man-planning leaves out a few important elements...like a venue and refreshments.

1.6 "Riviera Ballet"
Caught having parked in front of a fire hydrant, Ozzie is coaxed by the friendly patrolman on duty (Herb Vigran) to purchase two tickets to the Riviera Ballet. Ozzie is excited to tell Harriet the news, but she doesn't want him to go because of a rumor that the actresses in the ballet will be wearing skimpy bathing suits.

1.7 "The Baby Sitter"
David helps out a young neighborhood couple who want to go out to celebrate their anniversary by offering to watch over their baby. Ozzie is worried about David being responsible enough to take care of a baby, so he and Thorny go over to check on him...and of course, only make things worse.

1.8 "Rick Goes to a Dance"
Ricky receives a perfumed letter from his neighbor, Julie Thornberry, inviting him to his first dance. Ozzie and Harriet grow a little concerned when Ricky informs them that all the other girls at the dance refused to dance with him.

1.10 "Thorny's Gift"
Ozzie works himself into a state after he doesn't receive a timely 'thank you' for the nice cigarette lighter he sent to Thorny as a birthday gift.

IMDB's episode synopses leave a lot to be desired, so I have tweaked them to better represent the episodes' actual content. As you can tell, I've been continuing my sojourn through MPI's recently-released S1 DVD set, mostly watching an episode a night, usually right before bed...and have been finding the gentle antics of the Nelson family a relaxing tonic. This is such a genuinely funny, sharply-written show.

All of the above episodes were very enjoyable, but to single out just one: "Thorny's Gift" features what must have been for the time a rather radical series of end credit "stingers," almost like a Marvel movie, as the show ends on the humorous note of Thorny (Don DeFore, who gives a real boost to these early episodes) trying to light a cigar with the lighter Ozzie had given him as a present. We then cut to a brief commercial, and then it's back to Thorny again, still unsuccessfully clicking his lighter, then on to the full end credits...and then one final bit where Ozzie, framed in the portrait next to Thorny, gives a shrug as Thorny still can't get the lighter to work. A really clever note to end the episode on.

I decided to skip the S1 holiday-themed episodes for now, as for one thing, I've already seen them (though not in this quality), and for another, I'd prefer to watch them again later in tune with their appropriate seasons. So for now, I'll bypass "The Day After Thanksgiving" and move on to S1, Disc 2 sometime this weekend. Loving these sets!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
1.4 "The Fall Guy"
Ozzie quickly regrets advising David against allowing people to take advantage of his good nature, when he unthinkingly volunteers David to escort Thorny's visiting niece to a party.

1.5 "Halloween Party"
On Halloween night, Ozzie and Thorny decide to plan the yearly festivities instead of their wives. But their so-called meticulous man-planning leaves out a few important elements...like a venue and refreshments.

1.6 "Riviera Ballet"
Caught having parked in front of a fire hydrant, Ozzie is coaxed by the friendly patrolman on duty (Herb Vigran) to purchase two tickets to the Riviera Ballet. Ozzie is excited to tell Harriet the news, but she doesn't want him to go because of a rumor that the actresses in the ballet will be wearing skimpy bathing suits.

1.7 "The Baby Sitter"
David helps out a young neighborhood couple who want to go out to celebrate their anniversary by offering to watch over their baby. Ozzie is worried about David being responsible enough to take care of a baby, so he and Thorny go over to check on him...and of course, only make things worse.

1.8 "Rick Goes to a Dance"
Ricky receives a perfumed letter from his neighbor, Julie Thornberry, inviting him to his first dance. Ozzie and Harriet grow a little concerned when Ricky informs them that all the other girls at the dance refused to dance with him.

1.10 "Thorny's Gift"
Ozzie works himself into a state after he doesn't receive a timely 'thank you' for the nice cigarette lighter he sent to Thorny as a birthday gift.

IMDB's episode synopses leave a lot to be desired, so I have tweaked them to better represent the episodes' actual content. As you can tell, I've been continuing my sojourn through MPI's recently-released S1 DVD set, mostly watching an episode a night, usually right before bed...and have been finding the gentle antics of the Nelson family a relaxing tonic. This is such a genuinely funny, sharply-written show.

All of the above episodes were very enjoyable, but to single out just one: "Thorny's Gift" features what must have been for the time a rather radical series of end credit "stingers," almost like a Marvel movie, as the show ends on the humorous note of Thorny (Don DeFore, who gives a real boost to these early episodes) trying to light a cigar with the lighter Ozzie had given him as a present. We then cut to a brief commercial, and then it's back to Thorny again, still unsuccessfully clicking his lighter, then on to the full end credits...and then one final bit where Ozzie, framed in the portrait next to Thorny, gives a shrug as Thorny still can't get the lighter to work. A really clever note to end the episode on.

I decided to skip the S1 holiday-themed episodes for now, as for one thing, I've already seen them (though not in this quality), and for another, I'd prefer to watch them again later in tune with their appropriate seasons. So for now, I'll bypass "The Day After Thanksgiving" and move on to S1, Disc 2 sometime this weekend. Loving these sets!

Jeff another fine round of commentary and caps. A great dinner menu. Not a big Gomer fan but ya gotta love his fear of the gorgeous Sherry Jackson. I guess Rock was more to his liking? Whatever floats your boat of course. But where are those action-packed Ozzie & Harriet images? :)

Btw, I was surprised to see that certain O&H episodes at IMDb have no synopsis at all!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Have completed second go on Matt Houston (1983-84); second go ends in a cliffhanger wherein Matt is framed for murder, and he's on the run to prove his innocence; third and final go (1984-85) has the late, great Buddy Ebsen joining as Matt's uncle Roy, and begins w/the back end of the cliffhanger, "Wanted Man"...

20220708_211345.jpg

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Sherry Jackson was one world-class head-turner, and is shown to good effect here. We're talking babe city all the way...and as usual, when she has to kiss someone on camera...well, golllllllleeee, she really goes for it.
Ohhh, don't get me started on the stunning Sherry Jackson. She's been a cheesecake fave in this thread for ages, and rightly so.
She was also the step daughter of Montgomery Pittman, the prolific and very creative writer / director of many 77 Sunset Strip episodes.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Andy Griffith Show
"Bargain Day" (S4E24)

When I was but a young lad, it was a big deal when my parents bought a full size freezer by which to store an abundance of food--just in case our retail grocery supply chain became overrun by zombies, aliens or, worse yet, commies. But most of all, it gave my my mom an excuse to bargain buy a whole side of beef so that we could eat our own weight in steaks, roasts and burgers at cents on the dollar. Heck, we were buying enough A-1 Sauce to be considered a minority owner in the company. However, such meat intake was our very own ventricle cork to a lifelong dependence on stents and Lipitor. A 40 ounce steak will do to your innards what trying to flush a bath towel down a toilet would do. But the lure of value to buying meat in bulk was too hard to ignore.

The salary of a small town sheriff doesn't exactly result in an awe-inspiring 401K. Anything that saves a buck here and there is a necessary practice in the Taylor household. So when Aunt Bee learns of a wholesale outlet selling beef for 10 cents a lb. less than Mr. Foley--the local butcher--she jumps on the opportunity. One catch though--the discount only applies to purchases of a minimum 150 lbs. of meat. No problem since the Taylors own an ancient freezer whose most recent use has been a final resting place for a mouse. Aunt Bee gleefully fills it up with her newly purchased herd of savory flesh. No sooner does she serve up a highly uncustomary weeknight roast for dinner than the freezer goes on the fritz. Ignoring Andy's admonition to call a qualified repair service, Bee turns for help from Gomer Pyle--a man whose I.Q. is equal to the error margin of a voting poll. As per usual, Gomer is useless.

1657636643936.png
1657636665815.png
1657636741084.png

Roast on Wednesday night?! Gomer thinks he's fixing a dishwasher; Aunt Bee displays some salty language

So before the meat becomes a putrid buffet for maggots and racoons, Bee must swallow her embarrassment and beg kindly Mr. Foley to store the meat she didn't buy from him. He graciously agrees. However, Andy sees the economic value of bulk meat and buys a spanking new freezer. The Taylors can now enjoy roasts seven days a week. Opie, ever curious, asks what did people do before refrigerators. "Ice Age", replies Andy. "Your Aunt Bee can confirm that."

As always, an endearing, funny and well-written episode that holds up even today.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Adam-12
"Who Won?" (S4E22)

For a long time I felt cheated for not having been born in California. This humble kid was growing up in Central Indiana during the 50's and 60's--an average area of the country, but fairly non-descript in landscape, culture and demographics. I mean, for gosh sakes, our official state food is a fried pork tenderloin on a bun--not exactly a gateway to culinary accomplishment at Le Cordon Bleu. Outside of our one internationally renown car race, the biggest yearly event is the state fair--where patrons eat up--you guessed it...pork tenderloin sandwiches. Don't get me wrong, I love my home state. I've lived a fine life here--but as a kid, I missed the core of California coolness not found in Indiana--surfing and hot rods. Oh how I wanted to be a slick car jockey, proficient in engine mechanics and body customizing. I even bought scads of hot rod magazines despite not knowing the difference between a carburetor and a Waring blender. I could, however, change the tire on my Schwinn bike. Why, any kid in Indiana could do that.

Officers Malloy and Reed (Martin Milner, Kent McCord) are called on to investigate that oh-so-common California custom--drag racing on public streets. This request comes in over their car radio--a device attached to the dash, shown several times as if a prodigious invention on par with the Hubble telescope. The two officers have taken it upon themselves to move drag racing off streets and onto a qualified race track--much to the disgust of their fellow Officer Wells, played by a weasel-like Gary Crosby, who believes the only solution to dragsters is ticketing and a .38 bullet in the left ear.

1657800504935.png
1657800588357.png
1657800707171.png

Malloy tickets Reed for stupid dialogue; Cop cars have no dashboards; Malloy displays proper headwear

Malloy and Reed initiate discussions with a couple of racing club leaders, colorfully named Spyder Watson and Fat Charlie, hoping to use their influence to move their fellow racers to safer venues, preferably British Columbia. Further discussions with drag strip owner J. Benson (Dick Clark in an Elvis haircut) are complicated by a myriad of rules, regulations and paperwork. But just as this gets accomplished, the whole plan is sabotaged by Fat Charlie, who has reasons for keeping racing on the streets.

As with all Jack Webb cop productions, there's a fair amount of amateurish acting and scripting, with none more apparent than this show. Milner is the only one with acting chops able enough to overcome some stunningly stupid dialogue.

The Logical Ending:
Before the dust can settle, Malloy and Reed get another call: Something about a little old lady in Pasadena who seems to be a terror on Colorado Boulevard....

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Best Episode Hawaii Five-O Blind Tiger
Especially good episodes in bold

Monday
The Odd Couple Season 1 Episode 15 The Hideaway
Hawaii Five-O Season 2 Episode 15 Blind Tiger (my favorite of the week)

McGarrett survives a bombing of his car but is blinded. His sight may or may not return. He begins rehabilitation under the no-nonsense supervision of Nurse Lavallo. Five-O's investigation fails to turn up a suspect among known criminals. Meanwhile, McGarrett's attacker is determined the kill the lawman in the hospital where he is undergoing rehabilitation.

Excellent Episode in which McGarrett reminds me a little of myself as he comes to the realization that sometimes you can't do it all on your own. A svelte looking Marion Ross is outstanding as his strong willed rehabilitation nurse. At first she engages in a battle of wills with the Five-O chief but they eventually gain a mutual respect for each other. I don't like to give away endings but this one had one of the better ones I've seen in a while.

Trivia
The episode begins with a surprise birthday party for McGarrett, very sweetly and lovingly put together by the staff, governor and Steve's fellow coworkers on the five-O force. The episode aired on December 31, 1969. Jack Lord celebrated his 49th birthday on December 30th, 1969.

Tuesday
The Joey Bishop Show Season 2 Episode 1 The Honeymoon

Wish I would have picked up the SFM entertainment box sets when they were available
Ironside Season 2 episode 16 Why the Tuesday Afternoon Bridge Club Met on Thursday

1657798657710.png

Wednesday
The Patty Duke Show Season 1 Episode 33 Leave it to Patty
always enjoyable
Rockford Files Season 2 Episode 10 2 into 5.56 Won't go
My second favorite episode, much better than the one last month

1657798095485.png

1657798125794.png

1657798171066.png

Thursday
Family Matters Season 2 Episode 3 Mairrage 101

The Equalizer Season 1 Episode 12 Reign of Terror

Friday
The Andy Griffith Show Season 2 Episode 5 Barney on the Rebound

1657799193455.png

1657799216815.png

1657799250985.png

Star Trek Enterprise Season 2 Episode 5 A Night in Sickbay

Saturday
Yogi Bear Season 1 Episode 2 Booby Trapped Bear

Rawhide Season 2 Episode 4 Incident of the Shambling Man
BorderTown Season 1 Episode 13 Slave
Very good episode, I plan on watching this show more often in the future.

Sunday
Gentle Ben Season 1 Episode 5 Voice From the Wilderness
McMillan and Wife Season 2 Episode 6 The Fine Art of Staying Alive

1657802986790.png

Attachments

• 1657798375947.png
    1657798375947.png
    917.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1657798964660.png
    1657798964660.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1657801586065.png
    1657801586065.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks