What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (6 Viewers)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The High Chaparral - Season 1
A Quiet Day in Tucson (1.5) Richard Devon, Vaughn Taylor, Marie Gomez. Misadventures happen when Buck, Mano and Blue venture to town to purchase supplies. A comedic episode that tries hard to be funny, but misfires more times than not. If comedy is in their future, I hope it comes across better. Highlight, Blue seeking advice from a street urchin on his boot purchase.

This is not one of the episodes I sampled but I do recall that there is a "Gunsmoke" from later on (around 1972-73 I think; it was included in the old Best Of set) called "A Quiet Day In Dodge" which is also played as a comedy episode surrounding the inability of Matt Dillon to get some needed sleep as all kinds of silly things keep cropping up to thwart him there.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 5

Episode #2

“Incident of the Portrait”
written by William Blinn and Michael Gleason
directed by Ted Hang’Em High Post
guest: John Ireland, Nina Shipman, Ted de Corsia

“Remember a preacher once telling me that … every year you life is like a chapter out of a storybook.
You’re just turning a new page, that’s all. And crying about the yesterdays don’t make the tomorrows any better.
You learn to live with that, and … you learn to live with almost anything … Even yourself.”
—Frank Trask (actor John Ireland)

It focuses on a hungry fugitive with a scarface, named Frank Trask, who kills by accident an old man and joins Gil Favor’s outfit as a sanctuary to flee the authorities. Trask is a violent man and a recluse. He later faces and takes care of the blind daughter of the man he killed and that’s the better part. As poignant as a Fugitive episode, yet ambiguous and very Film Noir! The first scene that introduces the drive is an expressive arm wrestling between Rowdy Yates and Joe Scarlet.
Actor John Ireland will become a semi-regular during season 8.
Recommended!

PS: It’s a treat to watch the cinematography of Jack Swain.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
¶ Find the preview scene with Clint Eastwood for Rawhide’s season 5 (1962-1963).

rawhide_s5_preview02_zps4165ab60.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Recent talk of redheaded actresses led me to indulge in a little Barbara Rhoades marathon, and I enjoyed the various episodes I watched very much.

barbara-rhoades%2BG.jpg

Petrocelli
– 1.15 “Once Upon a Victim”
Another strong episode of this series, with John Dehner as a dedicated doctor accused of killing the difficult patron of his hospital. Ms. Rhoades only has a small part as a belly dancer here, but it’s a fun bit, as she teaches Maggie (the luminous Susan Howard) how to shake and shimmy like a pro. Barry Nelson is in nearly every scene and brings a welcome intensity and intelligence to Tony Petrocelli.

The Six Million Dollar Man – 3.7 “Target in the Sky”
This show has been one of the big surprises of the year for me. My memories were that it was childish and cheesy. Some of that certainly still holds true when watched today, but I’ve been quite impressed with just how much fun this series is, at least in its first few seasons. This episode was no exception, as Steve Austin goes undercover as a lumberjack (cue lots of footage cribbed from Sometimes a Great Notion.) Barbara Rhoades plays the tough but fair owner of a struggling logging company, and big Denny Miller plays the conflicted foreman who’s up to no good. It’s a testament to Rhoades' Amazonian stature that she stands up well to both of her co-stars. Lots of fun bits of bionic business here, as Steve bends chainsaw blades, chops down trees and all manner of other feats of strength. I just had a total blast watching this.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker – 1.13 “Primal Scream”
Another episode that plays well despite an underwhelming monster-of-the-week, thanks to Darren McGavin’s engaging presence, comic exchanges with various guest stars, and some sly jabs at corporate culture. Ms. Rhoades only has one extended scene, playing the steely secretary of an oil company involved with scientific experiments gone wrong. Kolchak, who isn’t usually phased by feminine wiles (at least as depicted in the TV series), seems unusually taken with the statuesque redhead, sniffing her hair lasciviously and letting out a little “Ooooh” when he gets an eyeful of her cleavage. John Marley plays one of the meaner police antagonists of the series, deliberately stepping on and destroying Carl’s camera, after the reporter snaps some shots of the ape man that has been terrorizing Chicago. Jamie Farr has a delightful scene as a put-upon high school science teacher who fills Kolchak in on the Missing Link, and Playboy Playmate Jeannie Bell has a blink-and-you’ll-miss-her cameo as one of the creature’s victims.

Kojak – 1.2 “Web of Death”
There’s some great neo-noir cinematography in this intense episode, which focuses on Hector Elizondo as a cop in Kojak’s squad, who "breaks bad" and kills a lawyer who has been having an affair with his wife (Rhoades). Elizondo does a fine job eliciting sympathy for the wayward cop, as more and more things go pear-shaped and the noose gradually tightens. I’d forgotten just how terrific a 70s cop show Kojak is, with a real gritty, authentic feel for how cops talk and interact. It’s a perfect role for Savalas, who holds center stage with ease (and I see his odd, Continental style of holding a cigarette has been carried over from his role as Blofeld in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.) The transfers on my Region B season one set look just great.

Ellery Queen – 1.9 “The Adventure of Veronica’s Veils”
Ms. Rhoades’ very impressive physique is on full display here. She’s in full-on brassy dame mode as Veronica, a stripper who is one of the suspects in the death of the producer of a burlesque show. George Burns appears as the murder victim, addressing the audience in a cheeky black-and-white film screened during his funeral, where he lays out the chief suspects, and charges “radio detective” Simon Brimmer (John Hillerman, warming up for Higgins) with solving the case. Of course, it’s Ellery who actually finds out whodunit, and how. As is typical for this series, the guest cast is fabulous; in addition to Burns and Rhoades, we also get Julie Adams, Don Porter, Jack Carter and William Demarest - in one of his last roles, and he does not look well, but delivers his usual feisty performance.

ellery040.jpg

Also watched this past week:

Magnum P.I. – 1.5 “No Need to Know”
More on this coming soon in the dedicated Magnum thread, but undoubtedly the best episode so far in season one.

The Professionals
– 5.5 “Spy Probe”
The actual numbering of episodes for this cool action/espionage series is always confusing…but according to Wikipedia, this was the last episode of the series’ screened for the British public. If so, the series goes out on a good one, as Bodie and Doyle go undercover as recruits to a “kill squad” targeting retired, low-level members of British Intelligence. This ep features the usual nice balance of action, intrigue and banter. With Patrick Ryecart and Graham Crowdon (known to Britcom fans for his work in the series Waiting for God.)

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have seen all of those Rhoades episodes you spotlighted multiple times but haven't seen the "Petrocelli" one. Need to rectify that soon!

Although Rhoades sometimes had a tendency to get typecast as strippers/hookers etc. she consistently exuded a down-to-earth no-BS quality and could easily handle a "real" part like SMDM or Kojak convincingly when given a chance.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Petrocelli – 1.15 “Once Upon a Victim”
Another strong episode of this series, with John Dehner as a dedicated doctor accused of killing the difficult patron of his hospital. Ms. Rhoades only has a small part as a belly dancer here, but it’s a fun bit, as she teaches Maggie (the luminous Susan Howard) how to shake and shimmy like a pro. Barry Nelson is in nearly every scene and brings a welcome intensity and intelligence to Tony Petrocelli.

Glad you're enjoying that Petrocelli release! As I've said many a time here (IIRC), I thought that NBC legal series was well-worth the money on DVD.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Kolchak: The Night Stalker – 1.13 “Primal Scream”
Another episode that plays well despite an underwhelming monster-of-the-week, thanks to Darren McGavin’s engaging presence, comic exchanges with various guest stars, and some sly jabs at corporate culture. Ms. Rhoades only has one extended scene, playing the steely secretary of an oil company involved with scientific experiments gone wrong. Kolchak, who isn’t usually phased by feminine wiles (at least as depicted in the TV series), seems unusually taken with the statuesque redhead, sniffing her hair lasciviously and letting out a little “Ooooh” when he gets an eyeful of her cleavage. John Marley plays one of the meaner police antagonists of the series, deliberately stepping on and destroying Carl’s camera, after the reporter snaps some shots of the ape man that has been terrorizing Chicago. Jamie Farr has a delightful scene as a put-upon high school science teacher who fills Kolchak in on the Missing Link, and Playboy Playmate Jeannie Bell has a blink-and-you’ll-miss-her cameo as one of the creature’s victims.

I always liked the scene between Kolchak and the science school teacher who can't stand his students that he compare to primates.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Mod Squad - Sn.1 Episode 1: Teeth of the Barracuda - This is the longer version that was meant to be a 90 min pilot episode but was never shown that way.
Mod Squad - Sn.1 Episode 2: Bad Man On Campus
Wild Wild West - Sn.1 Episode 5: The Night Of the Casual Killer
Happy Days - Sn.2 Episode 5: R.O.T.C - A fun episode with Ritchie being put in charge and trying to take it seriously while the rest of the guys don't see it that way.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I have seen all of those Rhoades episodes you spotlighted multiple times but haven't seen the "Petrocelli" one. Need to rectify that soon!

Although Rhoades sometimes had a tendency to get typecast as strippers/hookers etc. she consistently exuded a down-to-earth no-BS quality and could easily handle a "real" part like SMDM or Kojak convincingly when given a chance.

I agree with Ben...Petrocelli is well worth picking up. A good show, with a warm, likable lead cast, great guest stars and dusty Arizona locations, good mysteries, a good theme song...just a rock-solid series all around.

vlcsnap-2018-09-19-07h07m19s139.png

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I watched the two Petrocelli episodes with Barbara Rhoades this evening. Both of them show her penchant for being used in some kind of exotic part, first as the bellydance instructor (though she alas isn't wearing the full costume!) and then in the second season "Jubilee Jones" episode where she plays a nightclub showgirl. And in both episodes it's Susan Howard who interviews her and she is both times amazed by her incredible Amazonian presence.

I have to admit though that "Petrocelli" has one weakness and that's the fact that I don't like the way it serves up the "this is how it really happened" moment. Perry Mason style climaxes are anything but realistic but they at least work dramatically. In "Petrocelli" though, we always get a digression of "this is how it happened" in a courtroom proceeding that would *never* be allowed and it always seems to end with Petrocelli identifying the real killer when the real killer is a courtroom spectator and has NOT been tripped up on the stand by Petrocelli. I just find this format dramatically weak. It's basically too much of a detective style summary which isn't how it should be done in a courtroom scene.

I can't help but note how in one of the two Rhoades episodes, the killer ends up being the guy who up to a couple years ago reinvented his career as "The Most Interesting Man In The World" in those annoying Dos Equis beer commercials.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I don't know...I guess I don't feel that Petrocelli's "Here's how it really happened" approach is any more or less of a credibility jump than Perry Mason's hundredth time of breaking a suspect down on the stand. At least it's trying something different than its more famous predecessor...and at a stretch, it can be construed as the defense attorney demonstrating reasonable doubt in the minds of the jury. I would buy it better if Petrocelli was doing it during his summation, however.

As with any TV show or movie, the viewer has to choose what lapses of logic or believability to accept or refuse.

I guess I understand why so many producers and showrunners cast Barbara Rhoades as showgirl / floozie types...she obviously had the body for it. Luckily, she could bring something extra to the part if required. As you mentioned before, Jack, she has a certain earthy, natural quality that grounds the sexiness.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Saw another first-season episode of The Brady Bunch for the first time in a while-- "Katchoo," OAD Friday, Oct. 24, 1969 on ABC. It'll take me awhile, I think, to get used to this comedic Mike character (Brady), after finishing a police/detective series with a Mike character (Stone, on The Streets of San Francisco). I thought for dang certain that the dog (Tiger) would have to go, but it all worked out in the end-- all it was was the flea powder, and not the dog himself.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I haven't watched an episode of The Brady Bunch since the late 70s / early 80s, when it was running in syndication. I know it's popular for its "kitsch" elements, but does it hold up as an entertaining sitcom?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks