What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Magnum, P.I. - 1.15 "Don't Say Goodbye"
Covered this one in depth in the dedicated Magnum thread elsewhere on this forum, but in brief, it was a typically satisfying time spent with old pals Magnum, Higgins, T.C., Rick, 1980's Hawaii and a beautiful red Ferrari.

I Love Lucy - 1.25 "Pioneer Women"
I know I was bagging on Lucy a few pages back, but there's no denying how funny this particular show is. This one was a hoot, as Lucy and Ethel bet their husbands $50 that they can do their daily wifely tasks without modern conveniences. The bread baking scene alone makes this a great episode.

The Honeymooners - 1.1 "TV or Not TV"
Here's another one that I have been aware of all my life, but never watched more than a minute of...till now. I know, I know. Found a decent copy on YouTube of this, the first of the "Classic 39." After Alice cajoles him into buying a TV set, cheapskate Ralph goes halfsies with neighbor and bowling pal, Norton. Soon they're fighting over control of the set. I must confess, it took me a few minutes to get into the show (though it was filmed a whole 4 years later than the I Love Lucy episode above, it seemed a far stagier and creakier production). But as soon as Norton pulled out his Captain Video helmet and started reciting the Captain Video pledge, I was all in. Good stuff...and Aubrey Meadows is kind of cute in her hausfrau way.

Ark II - 1.1 "The Flies"
Further trolling of YouTube yielded this blast from my childhood past, a live action Saturday morning kids show from 1976, about a group of young scientific explorers - all sporting Biblical names: stalwart leader, Jonah, Asian hottie, Ruth, and Hispanic teen, Samuel, plus an intelligent, talking chimp named Adam(!) - patrolling an apocalyptic wasteland in their super cool, souped-up all terrain vehicle, complete with jet pack and smaller ATV "roamer." The hardware was all I really remembered of this show, but I was surprised to find that it's actually fairly watchable. It helps that the producers were able to hire some first-rate actors once in a while...including this pilot episode, in which the Ark II crew get involved when a group of ragtag youths, led by a scruffy old geezer named Fagon (Dr. Smith himself, Jonathan Harris, doing an Oirish accent), scrounge up some poison gas canisters. Malachi Throne also turns up, looking like a dime store Genghis Khan, as the leader of a ruthless gang of War Lords eager to get their hands on the gas.

arkii22.jpg

Barney Miller - 3.9 "Power Failure"
Apparently, when cops are asked which TV show features the most realistic depiction of real-life police work, they often answer that this one comes the closest. I usually have a deep aversion to '70s sitcoms, but this is an exception, a very funny, well-written show with a great rogues' gallery of supporting characters, and a charming lead in the form of Hal Linden. In this one, Barney and company contend not only with a massive power outage, but also a perp (Stefan Gierasch) with multiple personalities, one meek and mild, the other obstreperous. When Barney meets the man's attractive psychiatrist (soap starlet Susan Brown), sparks fly. Regular Ron Glass sits this one out, but deadpan Steve Landesberg is on hand as zen-like oddball, Det. Sgt. Dietrich.

The Real McCoys - 1.1 "Californy, Here We Come"
This appears to be the only uncut episode of this show available on YouTube. It plays as a slightly more realistic take on the "hayseeds moving to California" schtick that The Beverly Hillbillies would mine so memorably a few years later. I was slightly taken aback at seeing Richard Crenna sporting a down-home, folksy accent; as the earnest grandson of crotchety Walter Brennan, Crenna's Luke is newly married to the sweet, shy and very purty Kate (Kathleen Nolan). Along with his younger brother (also named Luke) and sister, the family has moved out from West Virginia to take over a dead relative's ranch. Lovable old coot Brennan is the driving force here, and spars nicely with everyone, including ranch hand Pepino (Tony Martinez) and his new neighbors, brother and sister sheep farmers (played by Andy Clyde and Madge Blake).

crenna3.jpg

Kojak - 1.5 "Girl in the River"
Watching Barney Miller got me in the mood for another cop show that focuses on lots of banter between harried, hard-working cops, so I pulled out my Region 2 S1 set of this atmospheric, intense Telly Savalas series. A new spate of murders of young women seems to indicate the return of the "Excalibur" killer, and Kojak is fired up to track him down. The very fetching Jenifer Shaw plays a young masseuse involved in the case. When Kojak finally gets the murderer in his sites...well, let's just say, there won't be any need for a trial. Also with James Keach and Alan Fudge.

Hard to find good pics of Ms. Shaw online...this will have to do for now.

9990236804-0_600.jpg

Last edited:

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Interesting to hear your thoughts on Vegas, Tim! (Or should that read, Vega$?) I've been contemplating picking this one up, but have had a few reservations. From what little I recall of this one, it's not one of the better '70s crime dramas. I also find Robert Urich a little flat when it comes to screen presence, especially at this earlier stage of his career (to be fair, he does do fine work in the epic miniseries, Lonesome Dove).
I admit this one surprised me a little. I enjoyed Urich in Spenser For Hire and Lonesome Dove and I did watch this show on occasion and remember thinking it was OK at least. I saw the complete series for $26 so I decided it was worth a look. I 'm still going to keep it in the rotation for a while and see if they find their footing. I seem to remember at least a little retooling of the show somewhere along the line so I'll see how it unfolds.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Covered this one in depth in the dedicated Magnum thread elsewhere on this forum, but in brief, it was a typically satisfying time spent with old pals Magnum, Higgins, T.C., Rick, 1980's Hawaii and a beautiful red Ferrari.

I know I was bagging on Lucy a few pages back, but there's no denying how funny this particular show is. This one was a hoot, as Lucy and Ethel bet their husbands $50 that they can do their daily wifely tasks without modern conveniences. The bread baking scene alone makes this a great episode.

Here's another one that I have been aware of all my life, but never watched more than a minute of..till now. I know, I know. Found a decent copy on YouTube of this, the first of the "Classic 39." After Alice cajoles him into buying a TV set, cheapskate Ralph goes halfsies with neighbor and bowling pal, Norton. Soon they're fighting over control of the set. I must confess, it took me a few minutes to get into the show (though it was filmed a whole 4 years later than the I Love Lucy episode above, it seemed a far stagier and creakier production). But as soon as Norton pulled out his Captain Video helmet and started reciting the Captain Video pledge, I was all in. Good stuff...and Aubrey Meadows is kind of cute in her hausfrau way.

Ark II - 1.1 "The Flies"
Further trolling of YouTube yielded this blast from my childhood past, a live action Saturday morning kids show from 1976, about a group of young scientific explorers - all sporting Biblical names: stalwart leader, Jonah, Asian hottie, Ruth, and Hispanic teen, Samuel, plus an intelligent, talking chimp named Adam(!) - patrolling an apocalyptic wasteland in their super cool, souped-up all terrain vehicle, complete with jet pack and smaller ATV "roamer." The hardware was all I really remembered of this show, but I was surprised to find that it's actually fairly watchable. It helps that the producers were able to hire some first-rate actors once in a while...including this pilot episode, in which the Ark II crew get involved when a group of ragtag youths, led by a scruffy old geezer named Fagon (Dr. Smith himself, Jonathan Harris, doing an Oirish accent), scrounge up some poison gas canisters. Malachi Throne also turns up, looking like a dime store Genghis Khan, as the leader of a ruthless gang of War Lords eager to get their hands on the gas.

arkii22.jpg

Apparently, when cops are asked which TV show features the most realistic depiction of real-life police work, they often answer that this one comes the closest. I usually have a deep aversion to '70s sitcoms, but this is an exception, a very funny, well-written show with a great rogues' gallery of supporting characters, and a charming lead in the form of Hal Linden. In this one, Barney and company contend not only with a massive power outage, but also a perp (Stefan Gierasch) with multiple personalities, one meek and mild, the other obstreperous. When Barney meets the man's attractive psychiatrist (soap starlet Susan Brown), sparks fly. Regular Ron Glass sits this one out, but deadpan Steve Landesberg is on hand as zen-like oddball, Det. Sgt. Dietrich.

This appears to be the only uncut episode of this show available on YouTube. It plays as a slightly more realistic take on the "hayseeds moving to California" schtick that The Beverly Hillbillies would mine so memorably a few years later. I was slightly taken aback at seeing Richard Crenna sporting a down-home, folksy accent; as the earnest grandson of crotchety Walter Brennan, Crenna's Luke is newly married to the sweet, shy and very purty Kate (Kathleen Nolan). Along with his younger brother (also named Luke) and sister, the family has moved out from West Virginia to take over a dead relative's ranch. Lovable old coot Brennan is the driving force here, and spars nicely with everyone, including ranch hand Pepino (Tony Martinez) and his new neighbors, brother and sister sheep farmers (played by Andy Clyde and Madge Blake).

crenna3.jpg

Watching Barney Miller got me in the mood for another cop show that focuses on lots of banter between harried, hard-working cops, so I pulled out my Region 2 S1 set of this atmospheric, intense Telly Savalas series. A new spate of murders of young women seems to indicate the return of the "Excalibur" killer, and Kojak is fired up to track him down. The very fetching Jenifer Shaw plays a young masseuse involved in the case. When Kojak finally gets the murderer in his sites...well, let's just say, there won't be any need for a trial. Also with James Keach and Alan Fudge.

9990236804-0_600.jpg
Thanks for the write up, very informative and insightful as usual. You've reminded me that I don't have any Kojak discs in my collection. I would love to pick up the first three seasons. I recently watched that Lucy episode and have to agree with you, her physical comedy was outstanding. Vega$ is a decent show and prices on the complete set have dropped drastically. It's not Magnum or MacGyver but definitely watchable. The picture quality of the set is quite good which almost always adds to the enjoyment of the episodes.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Here's another one that I have been aware of all my life, but never watched more than a minute of..till now. I know, I know. Found a decent copy on YouTube of this, the first of the "Classic 39." After Alice cajoles him into buying a TV set, cheapskate Ralph goes halfsies with neighbor and bowling pal, Norton. Soon they're fighting over control of the set. I must confess, it took me a few minutes to get into the show (though it was filmed a whole 4 years later than the I Love Lucy episode above, it seemed a far stagier and creakier production). But as soon as Norton pulled out his Captain Video helmet and started reciting the Captain Video pledge, I was all in. Good stuff...and Aubrey Meadows is kind of cute in her hausfrau way.

Ark II - 1.1 "The Flies"

arkii22.jpg

crenna3.jpg

9990236804-0_600.jpg

re: The Real McCoys

Luke introduces Little Luke to Pepino and says, "Well, you see, in the excitement of having him, Ma and Pa 'plum' forgot they already had me."

Keep watching and you'll see the great Andy Clyde (best known for his work as California Carlson in the Hopalong Cassidy movies) and Madge Blake (Larry Mondello's mother in Leave it to Beaver and Aunt Harriet in Batman) show up as a brother and sister, the McMichaels, who live on the hill not far from the McCoys.

Clyde seen here with William Boyd (Hopalong), George Reeves (yep... Clark/Supes himself), and Victory Jory)
u-g-PH3VPZ0.jpg

Blake with Adam West and Burt Ward
MV5BZWM4ODdhNjMtOWMxNy00ZGQzLWJkYTMtYWZjMjg3N2RhZjNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxMjk0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

clydeandybio.jpg
549ac8afbbec6fe3acf7a4f12ac65f91.jpg

b88bf92e3fef614678308292fa9a6f48ff74a5cf

Amos McCoy (Brennan) and George McMichael (Clyde), both mischievous, crotchety old men, would sometimes quarrel, particularly over their games of checkers and horseshoes. I always liked to see Clyde show up in an episode.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Keep watching and you'll see the great Andy Clyde (best known for his work as California Carlson in the Hopalong Cassidy movies) and Madge Blake (Larry Mondello's mother in Leave it to Beaver and Aunt Harriet in Batman) show up as a brother and sister, the McMichaels, who live on the hill not far from the McCoys.

Yep, the McMichaels make a brief appearance near the end of the first episode. Brennan and Clyde get into a little arm-wrestling match which ends in a draw, with a promise of a game of horseshoes after dinner. I enjoyed the gag of Brennan's Grandpa Amos being depressed because he had no one to trade insults with...and then he meets George McMichaels and brightens up considerably.

I knew I recognized Madge Blake from somewhere...of course, Aunt Harriet! Thanks for jogging my memory.

I'm guessing you have the OOP DVDs of The Real McCoys, Howie (or perhaps you have the later MOD versions)...is it true that most of the episodes on those sets are syndicated versions? That would explain why nearly all of the episodes on YouTube run about 22 minutes and change. The pilot ep seemed complete, running a few seconds shy of 26 minutes.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks for the write up, very informative and insightful as usual. You've reminded me that I don't have any Kojak discs in my collection. I would love to pick up the first three seasons. I recently watched that Lucy episode and have to agree with you her physical comedy was outstanding. Vega$ is a decent show and prices on the complete set have dropped drastically. It's not Magnum or MacGyver but definitely watchable. The picture quality of the set is quite good which almost always adds to the enjoyment of the episodes.

Thanks, Steve! You definitely should have some Kojak in your collection, a very good show. I need to pick up a few more seasons as well. The transfers on my Region 2 U.K. season 1 set look very nice...hopefully the Shout Factory releases of season 2 and beyond look good, too.

Yeah, as you and Tim mention, the price on that Vega$ Complete Series set have drastically reduced...glad to hear you have found the show moderately entertaining. Think I might grab Spenser For Hire S1 instead. That one I remember liking pretty well...though as a big fan of Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels, I always felt Robert Urich was a little too soft and sensitive in the part. Avery Brooks was absolutely spot on as Hawk, though.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I admit this one surprised me a little. I enjoyed Urich in Spenser For Hire and Lonesome Dove and I did watch this show on occasion and remember thinking it was OK at least. I saw the complete series for $26 so I decided it was worth a look. I 'm still going to keep it in the rotation for a while and see if they find their footing. I seem to remember at least a little retooling of the show somewhere along the line so I'll see how it unfolds.

With you on Spenser, remember liking that show pretty well, at least in its first, grittier season. Just would rather not bite the bullet on those Warner Archive prices...May still pick up Vegas at some point down the road.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I enjoy Robert Urich in Spenser. I love the Robert B. Parker novels and the series is a reasonable facsimile of Parker's creation. But Avery Brooks is awesome as Hawk, and he alone makes it worth those Warner Archive prices.

As for Vega$, I couldn't resist the low price for the complete series. Urich is much more pedestrian in that role, but when you're looking for 50 minutes of 1970's Spelling froth (and silly plots) then Vega$ is a pleasant diversion.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yep, the McMichaels make a brief appearance near the end of the first episode. Brennan and Clyde get into a little arm-wrestling match which ends in a draw, with a promise of a game of horseshoes after dinner. I enjoyed the gag of Brennan's Grandpa Amos being depressed because he had no one to trade insults with...and then he meets George McMichaels and brightens up considerably.

I knew I recognized Madge Blake from somewhere...of course, Aunt Harriet! Thanks for jogging my memory.

I'm guessing you have the OOP DVDs of The Real McCoys, Howie (or perhaps you have the later MOD versions)...is it true that most of the episodes on those sets are syndicated versions? That would explain why nearly all of the episodes on YouTube run about 22 minutes and change. The pilot ep seemed complete, running a few seconds shy of 26 minutes.
Yes, I have the first 2 seasons of the OOP pressed DVDs (when I heard the newer ones were MOD I started keeping an eye out for used copies of those pressed ones to come up at "reasonable" prices [for me that's ~$12/season] and jump on one when I see it).

Sadly, they're syndicated versions but still fun to revisit.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Thanks, Steve! You definitely should have some Kojak in your collection, a very good show. I need to pick up a few more seasons as well. The transfers on my Region 2 U.K. season 1 set look very nice...hopefully the Shout Factory releases of season 2 and beyond look good, too.

Yeah, as you and Tim mention, the price on that Vega$ Complete Series set have drastically reduced...glad to hear you have found the show moderately entertaining. Think I might grab Spenser For Hire S1 instead. That one I remember liking pretty well...though as a big fan of Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels, I always felt Robert Urich was a little too soft and sensitive in the part. Avery Brooks was absolutely spot on as Hawk, though.
I agree that Avery Brooks was the breakout star of Spenser. I liked Urich in this one, but I was not familiar with the novels so I can believe he might not have nailed the part.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I enjoy Robert Urich in Spenser. I love the Robert B. Parker novels and the series is a reasonable facsimile of Parker's creation. But Avery Brooks is awesome as Hawk, and he alone makes it worth those Warner Archive prices.

As for Vega$, I couldn't resist the low price for the complete series. Urich is much more pedestrian in that role, but when you're looking for 50 minutes of 1970's Spelling froth (and silly plots) then Vega$ is a pleasant diversion.
I agree with you about both Spenser and Vega$. At $26 I felt like Vega$ was worth a try. Matt Houston is another show I am considering for the same reason.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I couldn't quickly find where we've discussed this set so thought this'd be a good place. After all, it's "classic TV."

I was in WM a couple of hours ago and spotted the new DVD all-in-one (WS) box set of Lost in Space is now priced at $15. Mine's still unopened. So much for "get it before it sells out" eh? Oh well... I've done worse. :D

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I couldn't quickly find where we've discussed this set so thought this'd be a good place. After all, it's "classic TV."

I was in WM a couple of hours ago and spotted the new DVD all-in-one (WS) box set of Lost in Space is now priced at $15. Mine's still unopened. So much for "get it before it sells out" eh? Oh well... I've done worse. :D

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up! I might have to pick this puppy up next week when I'm back in the States.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ooh, thanks for the heads-up! I might have to pick this puppy up next week when I'm back in the States.
Happy to help! Just keep in mind that at WM it's frequently a YMMV on these type things. It still shows $20 on the web site and this was just one of the two stores here (didn't look at the other when I was in earlier today - but will possibly be returning there tomorrow so *will* check if I do).

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve

I'm on my way to Walmart tomorrow to pick up Welcome Back Kotter at less than half the price of Amazon.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm on my way to Walmart tomorrow to pick up Welcome Back Kotter at less than half the price of Amazon.
That's one I somewhat agonized over. I watched it when it originally aired, somewhat liked the first season, didn't much care for Kaplan (felt then, and now, that he can't act - at all - and has poor delivery on his "jokes"), really didn't much care for the theme song (and it was very popular - but I'm also not much of a John Sebastian fan so that, too, comes into play), and watched as much to see Marcia Strassman as anything else. So I finally caved and purchased an inexpensive copy of S1 to find out if I'd want the whole shebang. Nope... not at all. One season's enough for me and Strassman is still the best part.

MV5BMzI3ODUzNjUxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA5NzEzMjE@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMTExMTA1NTYwNTleQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDI1MTc1Ng@@._V1_.jpg
(I had some bellbottoms like those) .
MV5BMTQ2MDQ4NzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY0OTgyMQ@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

MV5BNzEwNTdiMDAtODUyZS00OGRiLWFmNzYtYTNiNTg5MzljYjJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

I like her hair long but she's sure cute with that page boy... I also wished she'd lasted longer in M*A*S*H.

MV5BNTY1NzM0NjQ1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTgyMDAz._V1_.jpg

Here she is in Tremors: The Series (quite enjoyable - even more so if you like the movies)

Here's a quote of hers from IMDB:
[on her role in Welcome Back, Kotter (1975)] Five women tested for it. One of them was Farrah Fawcett. She was wonderful, but they said, "We didn't think anyone would believe her with Gabe Kaplan." I said, "You believe me with Gabe Kaplan? Thank you very much."

I, for one, never believed that pairing. Strassman just didn't look or feel like Kaplan's type.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
While watching the fourteenth season of Gunsmoke, I also double-checked the second season of The Wild Wild West
for my personal lexicon—a lexicon ordered by thematic category. I finally re-watched "The Night of the Bogus Bandits":
the last season 2 episode.
I have now achieved three lexicons for The Wild Wild West.
In August, I will finish off the last lexicon and for the third season.

As soon as CBS/Paramount release the first season of The Wild Wild West on Blu-ray (let's hope it will happen),
I will start a dedicated thread.

Stay tuned!

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
That's one I somewhat agonized over. I watched it when it originally aired, somewhat liked the first season, didn't much care for Kaplan (felt then, and now, that he can't act - at all - and has poor delivery on his "jokes"), really didn't much care for the theme song (and it was very popular - but I'm also not much of a John Sebastian fan so that, too, comes into play), and watched as much to see Marcia Strassman as anything else. So I finally caved and purchased an inexpensive copy of S1 to find out if I'd want the whole shebang. Nope... not at all. One season's enough for me and Strassman is still the best part.

MV5BMzI3ODUzNjUxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA5NzEzMjE@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMTExMTA1NTYwNTleQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDI1MTc1Ng@@._V1_.jpg
(I had some bellbottoms like those) .
MV5BMTQ2MDQ4NzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY0OTgyMQ@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

MV5BNzEwNTdiMDAtODUyZS00OGRiLWFmNzYtYTNiNTg5MzljYjJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

I like her hair long but she's sure cute with that page boy... I also wished she'd lasted longer in M*A*S*H.

MV5BNTY1NzM0NjQ1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTgyMDAz._V1_.jpg

Here she is in Tremors: The Series (quite enjoyable - even more so if you like the movies)

Here's a quote of hers from IMDB:

I, for one, never believed that pairing. Strassman just didn't look or feel like Kaplan's type.

The Sweathogs are the attraction of the show for me and were a pretty talented group of young actors for a seventies sitcom. Season four was a little light but still watchable. How was the picture quality of the set you purchased?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks