What's new

what big catalog titles are we *sure* are coming in Q3/4 '07? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Trying to get a good idea of what should be coming, but at the same time, not making this into a 'wish-list' . I'm strictly going by comments from insiders as well as studio heads quoted in articles- off the top of my head this is all I can come up with (i'm also trying to leave out 1)anything that has already been officially announced with a date 2) anything in promotional material that hasn't been more or less confirmed as coming by end of year -like Shawshank or the some of the other titles on the Sony Bd promos ).
Anyone able to flesh this out more?

Warner
Cool Hand Luke
Bonnie And Clyde
LA Confidential
Blade Runner
The Shining
Eyes Wide Shut
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket (remastered?)
Hamlet(?)
Dirty Harry set
Harry Potter Set
Poltergeist
Twister(?)
Shawshank Redemption(?)

Paramount
Chinatown
Jack Ryan set
Top Gun
Star Trek TOS Remastered

Sony
Underworld: Extended Edtion (announced for 9/25)
Memoirs of A Geshia (announced for 9/5)
Lawrence Of Arabia (unfortunately according to paidgeek, there are contrasting faction inside Sony- one group wants this out this year, the other wants to keep it in reserve for a while, so as of now at least, this looks iffy)
Spider-man 2 (&1?)
Bram Stokers Dracula
Starship Troopers
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
MIB

Fox
?

MGM-
possibly the Sergio Leone films

AB/Starz
Dawn Of The Dead (announced for10/2)
Day Of The Dead (announced for 10/2)
Evil Dead 2 (announced for 10/2)
Halloween (announced for 10/2)

Lionsgate
?

Diseny/Buena Vista
Kill Bill
Pulp Fiction
Sin City
Chronicles of Narnia
Cars
Crimson Tide
The Rock
Con Air
Open Range

Universal
Strangers
Seed of Chucky
Inside Man
Carlito's Way
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power
White Noise
Talk to Me
Evan Almighty
About a Boy
Weird Science
Pride and Prejudice
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Tremors
Family Man
The Bourne Ultimatum
Mr. Bean's Holiday
The River Wild
Timecop
Eastern Promises
The Kingdom
Balls of Fury
American Pie: Unrated
Mobsters
Undercover Brother

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Well, Amir has HINTED over at AVS that "Lord of the Rings" is currently being preped, and that they' re (Microsoft) assisting with the VC1 encode. As you can imagine, he was deluged with questions, but he would not reveal any other info other than this. I think this is great news since it at least shows that New Line will be joining the HD-DVD fray, and ESPECIALLY that they won't be excluding HD-DVD. New Line has yet to announce anything officially, but I expect them to support both formats. I would be surprised if they only went HD-DVD, though anything's possible in this silly war.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Also........

Trek TOS S1 remastered for HD-DVD (see my siggy) and some Hitchcock's from Universal. From Sony: I think the Spiderman films on BD are pretty much a given at this point. From Disney: I think POTC: AWO is a given, as well as Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill movies.

I think there are bound to be a few other surprises as well.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Branaugh's Hamlet from 1996 is being released on SD DVD on 08/14/07 and I thought that it was receiving a release on Bd and HD DVD as well. (Don't see a preorder for it yet, so I certainly could be mistaken.)

A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket (same or new transfer being used?) are the other two films in the Kubrick HD Box Set.

- Walter.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Has there been some kind of announcement about Chinatown? The last I heard it was being restored but nothing about an HD release.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

A Paramount insider on another forum (jiggawhat) said it was a done deal for later this year. He also mentioned both Top Gun and the Jack Ryan series well before they were ever announced so I feel pretty confident that Chinatown is a lock.

Can't believe I forgot ST TOS (or Clockwork)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Okay I'll play. Here's some that haven't been mentioned that came from press releases, studio interviews, CES smack talk and insider rumors.

Warner
Dirty Harry set
Harry Potter Set
Poltergeist
Twister
Shawshank Redemption

Sony
Bram Stokers Dracula
Starship Troopers
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
MIB

Fox MGM
{snigger}

Diseny/Buena Vista
Sin City
Chronicles of Narnia
Cars
Crimson Tide
The Rock
Con Air
Open Range

You forgot Universal
Strangers
Seed of Chucky
Inside Man
Carlito's Way
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power
White Noise
Talk to Me
Evan Almighty
About a Boy
Weird Science
Pride and Prejudice
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Tremors
Family Man
The Bourne Ultimatum
Mr. Bean's Holiday
The River Wild
Timecop
Eastern Promises
The Kingdom
Balls of Fury
American Pie: Unrated
Mobsters
Undercover Brother

Honestly with these HD formats there isn't anything I'd consider a lock anymore.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Is there a chance Days of Heaven will get a release in HD?

Paramount's licensing out the film to Criterion for DVD release, and since Criterion isn't releasing anything in HD - you figure Paramount could cover the HD release. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Robert Zohn mentioned on AVS a month or so ago that Criterion was planning to jump in the HD arena by summer's end with an announcement. IF this is still on track, then it would be great if they made Day's of Heaven one of their launch titles.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, you're right.
Last I remember hearing about Shawshank was a comment from cjplay or someone like him that it wasn't to be expected anytime soon. I know its been in the flyers from last year- but has someone mentioned it coming in the near term?
Thanks for the additions-I'll update the master list

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I thought I read somewhere that Batman Begins would be coming to BD this year...

Though I cannot provide a link

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think there was speculation that it would be coming if they could get the advanced BD java working. We'll see.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

The latest rumblings I heard about that title making an appearance on BD sounded as if it was coming with or without IME during Q4. Again, its all guess work right?

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
I'm pretty sure Universal said Scarface would be released this year on HD-DVD

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, there was an article on Highdefdigest about a month or more ago that mentioned Shawshank and Twister being in the works. Something to that effect.

One thing to keep in mind with these Warner titles. Now that they've postponed their THD launch to 2008 and they had 10 to 20 titles planned for it. It stands to reason those titles would be delayed til next year also. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the Kubrick set, Dirty Harry set and a number of their other catalog films slated for THD.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Also Warner did say they would release all of their (then) current HD DVD only titles to Blu-ray by the end of the year during the Warner HTF chat. I'm skeptical if their going to hold true to that statement given where we are now, but Warner is very good at keeping their word so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it'll be out by years end.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Doh!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks