What are the differences between the Sony CX450 & CX455 Mega Changers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

What are the differences between the Sony CX450 & CX455 Mega Changers? Is the main difference the 2 way remote on the 450?

I think I have decided on one of the Sony 400 CD changers but not sure which one to get. The reason I am not looking at the ES line is I will be using it with the digital out as a transport, so not wanting to pay for the better D/A converter.

BTW, if you would like to point me to some good prices from reliable dealers (Internet or B&M) I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Luke, two key differences are as follows:

* The 'CX450 has the two-way remote, the 'CX455 does not.

* The 'CX455 plays MP3-encoded CDs, the 'CX450 does not.

For more information on the two players, go to www.crutchfield.com . For the best prices by mail, check Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), and OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All three are authorized dealers.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Luke, one more thing. Note that if you ever wanted to daisy-chain two Sony megachangers together, you would have to use the analog outputs. If you have a large or rapidly expanding CD collection and think that daisy-chaining might be of interest to you, consider the ES models ('M333ES and 'M555ES). As you said, the ES models do have a better DAC than the non-ES models. I have two older ES 300-disc models daisy-chained and am very pleased with the performance.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Keith, thanks for the info. It looks like it will be the 455 for me. The remote is a non issue as I will be using a Pronto, and I would like to have the MP3 option.

As to the ES models, hopefully by the time I need more storage I will be able to locate a good deal on an Escient FireBall (it will have to be a GREAT deal though [​IMG] ) The FireBall will control the Sony mega changers (up to 3 through the s-link and digital outs) and it makes an awesome interface for your music collection but I don't have the disposable $ for one right now. [​IMG]

Thanks again for the info. If you have a Sony mega changer I would love to hear any issues you have found/work arounds and other tips.