What's new

What are some good over-the-counter acne facewash stuff? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im not overly pimply, but i do get a few every so often, and it gets annoying.. right now im using Oxy foaming face cleanser, but i just finished it, and i was wondering which over-the-counter stuff works... I know salyicic acid is the main ingredient in acne-fighting, but this Oxy foamy stuff doesnt work very well. I also have those Oxy pads that you wipe over your face, those are really strong, but i dont see much improvement...

Can anybody recommend any over-the-counter acne daily facewash stuff that works well?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I had a slight problem with acne and used 10-0-6 lotion. I used it for 3 or 4 years and it worked wonders. I remember trying to find it again after not using it for a while but had no such luck. So whether its still made or not is beyond me.

I did try Oxy/Clearasil products a couple times and found it dried out my skin really bad and just didn't work very well as compared to the 10-0-6 lotion.

good luck !

Don Black

Screenwriter
Let me save you a whole lot of time and money: Goto a dermatologist and get yourself a prescription for Accutane. If I had only known about it when I was a teenager, I would have been spared endless amounts of embarrasment and frustration.

It's the only solution that works 100% effectively. After 2 months, all of your zits will be gone. Yes, there are some mild side effects but they were totally worth it. Of course, talk to your dermatologist about your situation. But for me, and everyone I know, Accutane is truely a miracle drug.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Noxzema cream worked wonders for me. You can buy a supermarket generic version that works just as well in a huge tub.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Let me save you a whole lot of time and money: Goto a dermatologist and get yourself a prescription for Accutane. If I had only known about it when I was a teenager, I would have been spared endless amounts of embarrasment and frustration.
It's the only solution that works 100% effectively. After 2 months, all of your zits will be gone. Yes, there are some mild side effects but they were totally worth it. Of course, talk to your dermatologist about your situation. But for me, and everyone I know, Accutane is truely a miracle drug.
Uh. Accutate is essentially a series of massive doses of Vitamin A, wreaking havoc on your liver. It has much, much more than "mild side effects." I quote from the literature of its manufacturer, Roche:
"Because of significant adverse effects associated with its use, Accutane should be reserved for patients with severe nodular acne who are unresponsive to conventional therapy, including systemic antibiotics."
Accutane's lovely side effects include psychosis, acute pancreatitis, hearing impairment, inflamatory bowel disease, arthritis & skeletal calcification (skeletal hyperostosis to be specific), and vision impairment. These adverse effects often persist long after treatment with Accutate is finished. Don't forget its most infamous "adverse effect" -- horrific birth defects in the children of women pregnant during or for a fair period after having been treated with Accutate. While I realize this probably doesn't concern Nick, I would be rather wary of taking anything that produces massive birth defects.
[/Accutane rant]
Acne is normal in adolescence and not necessarily something to flip out about unless it is interfering in your day-to-day life. If your acne is mild, I would suggest skipping the harsh, acid-based facial scrubs and just using warm (not hot) water and a mild soap twice a day. Don't wash your face more often than that, and don't use hot water, as you'll just dry out your skin which leads to more oil production. If your acne is a bit more serious, perhaps contemplate getting a prescription for a topical antibiotic solution -- in my experience, the only topical application that doesn't dry the heck out of one's skin.
If your acne is or becomes more severe, I advise you to stay the hell away from Accutane and go to your doctor for some antibiotics. Both tetracycline and apo-sulfatrim are popular for the treatment of acne and can be administered over the course of years if necessary without any significant adverse effects other than increased sensitivity to UV light (i.e. you'll sunburn faster).
The bottom line: lots of people, of every age, get acne. Teenagers in particular get lots of acne. Personally, the only reason I would get concerned is if you see scarring beginning to occur from acne.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I only have very mild acne, but its just a bit annoying...
thanks alot ppls! :)

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I've recently been washing with glycerin soap, just my upper back and face. My back had been killing me for months, probably all this past year actually, and in a week, it's pretty much all but cleared up. I did get the acne formula, as I had a pretty tough condition (not several, but the ones there hurt like hell). The medicine in the acne bars tend to leave my skin with a dry feeling, nut hey, thats okay if I don't have all these painful boils digging into my back. If your case is so mild, you may want to just give a straight glycerine bar a shot, no acne formula. It just cleans the skin without clogging the pores. Deoderant soap is hell on acne. If nothing else, quit using DIAL, Irish Spring, Safeguard, any of that cheap crap on your affected areas. Spring a few bucks for a good glycerine bar, and reserve it for the affected areas.
My two cents. :)
p.s., the stuff I'm using is called Aveeno, I believe, and they only have the one bar (medicated) so far as I know, but Neutragena makes several different fomula glycerine bars. Don't go to the deoderant soap section, go to the girlie facial cleanser/creams/icky stuff aisle. :)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Mike,

I've read the warnings but I've also been on the drug for 5 months. I can tell you from personal experience and the experiences of many friends that the symptoms are mild. Dry skin and an occasional nosebleed... The rest is standard lawsuit disclaimer junk.

Of course, just to be safe, go to a dermatologist and have your blood work monitored. I've never met anyone who had a problem with the drug. It was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I too ended up using Accutane. It was the only one that worked. But as mentioned above it should be a last resort. It was the last thing my doctor tried. Although I should have tried it a lot sooner. Some how ended up on tetracyclin for almost 2 years (don't ask, my stupidity and having a very busy doctor). Before that was Statacin and before that was over the counter stuff. I had no adverse affects from the Accutane.

But if it's mild, live with it. Just get some Physoderm (I think I spelt that wrong) or some Merle Norman gritted face soap and use them regularly. It will come and go.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nick,

As you can read in this very thread, most people have good results after using something for 2 or 3 years.

Or they discover a wonder drug after two years of suffering...

Get the picture? Could it be that acne stops at the age of 18 / 19 years? Yes, it generally does. Most guys have some (mild to a bit annoying) acne problems between the age of 16 and 19. For most it is over at 20. In between it doesn't get significantly better, whatever you do, but you certainly can make it worse.

I like Mike's advice best: (1) don't worry too much (2) mild washing, no more than twice a day (3) only more severe measurements (including antibiotics) on doctor's advice and only if the problems are more serious.

BTW Girls won't walk away on an occasional pimple. The nice ones will LOVE to give you good advice.

Cees

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Actually any dermatologist will tell you that the Active ingredient in Dial soap is an excellent acne fighter. I went through the acne phase for a very short period, but here's my two cents. Drink water more, drink sodas less. Don't eat fast food on a regular basis. I think the Neutrogena soap has worked well for many of my friends. Everyone's skin has a different sensitivity. Also, use a mild exfoliant once a week. You're set the rest is time and genetics.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
BTW Girls won't walk away on an occasional pimple. The nice ones will LOVE to give you good advice.
Ah, c'mon Cees: you know Nick has to look perfect and flawless if he wants to win the heart of Mena Suvari anytime soon. :)
But then again, I'm not really sure Mena is a girl...she looks more like a half-fish, half-human hybrid...:D;)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
When I was 16, I had fairly bad acne, but still managed to catch a few girls here and there. One convinced me that makeup (yes, makeup) would take care of the problem overnight. I sat there for an hour while her and my grandmother applied makeup to my face.

At least she had fun...

Nick, if you have oily hair, make sure you wash it every single day. Should help some. Mike's advice about the soap was also right on.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Nice, thanks alot...
Just for those who think I freak abotu every single pimple i get, i dont... I have very mild acne, but i dunno, its just kinda annoying... It just so happened my OXY facewash is all used up, and i gotta go out to get some... Ill try the dial soap or neutrogena.. :)
It seems the majority of my pimples are around my mouth, and on my forehead... Never smack-dab on the middle of my cheek... kinda odd.. whatever, enough of my pimples.. :p)
But then again, I'm not really sure Mena is a girl...she looks more like a half-fish, half-human hybrid..
Damn you! Cheap shot! :D I watched LOSER again for the... 3rd time... i really got to buy that DVD.. :) She's so cute in it... :D It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside after i finish watching it.. :p)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Also wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I was just about to ring my doctor and let him know that the Azelex (spelling) wasn't doing dammit after a year, but I'll give the glycerin a shot.
BTW, 26 years old, with about 8 of it with acne. :frowning:

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Damn you! Cheap shot!
Yeah, I know. But I couldn't resist. :)
But back to the topic at hand: I am with the majority in that a washcloth and a bar of soap (preferably Dial) is the best anti-acne solution you can use. I had some mild acne during my high-school years and washing my face before I went to bed at night worked wonders. Didn't kill the problem completely, but it worked enough in that whatever acne that was still there was hard to spot.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
You can also try Clinque's skin care for men. It's a little more expensive, but it works great. I recommend the face scrub, soap, and the turnaround creme!
I feel somewhat less manly sharing beauty secrets with all of you! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks