What are some good over-the-counter acne facewash stuff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Dec 25, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im not overly pimply, but i do get a few every so often, and it gets annoying.. right now im using Oxy foaming face cleanser, but i just finished it, and i was wondering which over-the-counter stuff works... I know salyicic acid is the main ingredient in acne-fighting, but this Oxy foamy stuff doesnt work very well. I also have those Oxy pads that you wipe over your face, those are really strong, but i dont see much improvement...

Can anybody recommend any over-the-counter acne daily facewash stuff that works well?

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I had a slight problem with acne and used 10-0-6 lotion. I used it for 3 or 4 years and it worked wonders. I remember trying to find it again after not using it for a while but had no such luck. So whether its still made or not is beyond me.

I did try Oxy/Clearasil products a couple times and found it dried out my skin really bad and just didn't work very well as compared to the 10-0-6 lotion.

good luck !

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Let me save you a whole lot of time and money: Goto a dermatologist and get yourself a prescription for Accutane. If I had only known about it when I was a teenager, I would have been spared endless amounts of embarrasment and frustration.

It's the only solution that works 100% effectively. After 2 months, all of your zits will be gone. Yes, there are some mild side effects but they were totally worth it. Of course, talk to your dermatologist about your situation. But for me, and everyone I know, Accutane is truely a miracle drug.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The Noxzema cream worked wonders for me. You can buy a supermarket generic version that works just as well in a huge tub.

5. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I only have very mild acne, but its just a bit annoying...
    thanks alot ppls! [​IMG]

7. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I've recently been washing with glycerin soap, just my upper back and face. My back had been killing me for months, probably all this past year actually, and in a week, it's pretty much all but cleared up. I did get the acne formula, as I had a pretty tough condition (not several, but the ones there hurt like hell). The medicine in the acne bars tend to leave my skin with a dry feeling, nut hey, thats okay if I don't have all these painful boils digging into my back. If your case is so mild, you may want to just give a straight glycerine bar a shot, no acne formula. It just cleans the skin without clogging the pores. Deoderant soap is hell on acne. If nothing else, quit using DIAL, Irish Spring, Safeguard, any of that cheap crap on your affected areas. Spring a few bucks for a good glycerine bar, and reserve it for the affected areas.
    My two cents. [​IMG]
    p.s., the stuff I'm using is called Aveeno, I believe, and they only have the one bar (medicated) so far as I know, but Neutragena makes several different fomula glycerine bars. Don't go to the deoderant soap section, go to the girlie facial cleanser/creams/icky stuff aisle. [​IMG]

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Mike,

I've read the warnings but I've also been on the drug for 5 months. I can tell you from personal experience and the experiences of many friends that the symptoms are mild. Dry skin and an occasional nosebleed... The rest is standard lawsuit disclaimer junk.

Of course, just to be safe, go to a dermatologist and have your blood work monitored. I've never met anyone who had a problem with the drug. It was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I too ended up using Accutane. It was the only one that worked. But as mentioned above it should be a last resort. It was the last thing my doctor tried. Although I should have tried it a lot sooner. Some how ended up on tetracyclin for almost 2 years (don't ask, my stupidity and having a very busy doctor). Before that was Statacin and before that was over the counter stuff. I had no adverse affects from the Accutane.

But if it's mild, live with it. Just get some Physoderm (I think I spelt that wrong) or some Merle Norman gritted face soap and use them regularly. It will come and go.

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Nick,

As you can read in this very thread, most people have good results after using something for 2 or 3 years.

Or they discover a wonder drug after two years of suffering...

Get the picture? Could it be that acne stops at the age of 18 / 19 years? Yes, it generally does. Most guys have some (mild to a bit annoying) acne problems between the age of 16 and 19. For most it is over at 20. In between it doesn't get significantly better, whatever you do, but you certainly can make it worse.

I like Mike's advice best: (1) don't worry too much (2) mild washing, no more than twice a day (3) only more severe measurements (including antibiotics) on doctor's advice and only if the problems are more serious.

BTW Girls won't walk away on an occasional pimple. The nice ones will LOVE to give you good advice.

Cees

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Actually any dermatologist will tell you that the Active ingredient in Dial soap is an excellent acne fighter. I went through the acne phase for a very short period, but here's my two cents. Drink water more, drink sodas less. Don't eat fast food on a regular basis. I think the Neutrogena soap has worked well for many of my friends. Everyone's skin has a different sensitivity. Also, use a mild exfoliant once a week. You're set the rest is time and genetics.

12. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

13. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Cetaphil makes a good face cleanser that will moisturize as well.

14. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Cetaphil is good for dry acne skin.

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Nice, thanks alot...
    Just for those who think I freak abotu every single pimple i get, i dont... I have very mild acne, but i dunno, its just kinda annoying... It just so happened my OXY facewash is all used up, and i gotta go out to get some... Ill try the dial soap or neutrogena.. [​IMG]
    It seems the majority of my pimples are around my mouth, and on my forehead... Never smack-dab on the middle of my cheek... kinda odd.. whatever, enough of my pimples.. :p)

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Also wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I was just about to ring my doctor and let him know that the Azelex (spelling) wasn't doing dammit after a year, but I'll give the glycerin a shot.
    BTW, 26 years old, with about 8 of it with acne. [​IMG]

18. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

19. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    You can also try Clinque's skin care for men. It's a little more expensive, but it works great. I recommend the face scrub, soap, and the turnaround creme!
    I feel somewhat less manly sharing beauty secrets with all of you! [​IMG]