What's new

What are some good lesser known 60's rock bands ? (1 Viewer)

Bill cc

Agent
I'm looking fir lesser known bluesy or garage 60's rock bands .. sorta in the vein of the Stones, the Who, the Yardbirds, etc..or stuff that may have later influenced bands like the Stooges, MC5, Velvet Undergound...

Some albums that I've found so far and really like...

Them - Story of Them

The Pretty Things - (self-titled)

? and the Mysterians - 96 Tears

The Troggs - Best of

The Masters Appretintices - (self-titled)

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated..

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Try the Shadows of Knight. You might remember them for their version of Gloria. There is a nice compilation CD with 18-20 songs from them. They were a great garage band.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Blues Magoos
Every Mother's Son
Blue Cheer
The Electric Prunes
Strawberry Alarm Clock
The Grass Roots
The Chambers Brothers
Steppenwolf
Bubble Puppy
Status Quo
Lemon Pipers
Amboy Dukes
The Spencer Davis Group
The Balloon Farm
The Music Explosion
Human Beinz
Beau Brummels

etc.

Someone finally asked a question I can answer. Anyone interested to know what it was like before electricity?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
If your going to include those groups, then you have to include

Count Five
Electric Prunes

Also any live material by Paul Rever and the Raiders.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Creation

Actually, checking out the track list for the various "Nuggets" compilations should gve you lots of good ideas.

Regards,

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Someone finally asked a question I can answer. Anyone interested to know what it was like before electricity?
Phil,

I remember all those groups very well, so we must be in the same age group. A very good list indeed.

Jack,

I remember the Blues Magoos, also. I have their first album and a compilation CD with all their "hits". They do a great psycholdelic version of Tobacco Road.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
A few more ranging from mid to late 60's. Obviously there are a lot more.

The Seeds
Standells
Shadows of Knight
Syndicate Of Sound
Love
Blue Cheer
Moby Grape
The Band
Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Sopwith Camel
Chocolate Watchband
Vanilla Fudge
Frijid Pink
Spooky Tooth
Blues Project
Blues Image
Procol Harum
Electric Flag
Canned Heat
? & The Mysterians
Zombies
Quicksilver Messenger Service

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
How about Moby Grape the most popular group in America once for about 2 or 3 weeks in '66 or '67...? How about Sly & The Family Stone, Ten Years After, Love featuring Arthur Lee from L.A., Poco, Nazz the group Todd Rundgren led as the guitarist, Captain Beefheart, The Holy Modal Rounders, Richie Havens, The Meters, Spirit, Savoy Brown, Frigid Pink, Flying Burrito Brothers, Spooky Tooth, Free with Paul Rodgers, Sugarloaf (you know they did do other songs besides GREEN-EYED LADY!), Cactus, Dave Mason....I must of forgotten a few dozen more at the moment. There's alot of forgotten music from that era.

TomCW

Second Unit
Wow! There are some great bands in this thread, but I didn't see:
Uriah Heep
or
Spirit (may be the 70's tho)
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil,
Do you consider Steppenwolf lesser known? Of course, they are not as well known to the average Joe as the Stones, The Who, or The Beatles, but they are not nearly as obscure as some other bands that have come up here. ;)
Bill,
A few:
The Mamas and the Papas (I love "California Dreamin'")
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
Deep Purple
These groups are not obscure, but they are not the best-known either. I mentioned Deep Purple because as I see it, they are far better known for their '70s efforts. Of course, "Hush" is a great song.

Bill cc

Agent
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.. .there’s a lot here to go through.

Yeah, some of these bands are pretty well-known.. (Steppenwolf, Spencer Davis, The Band, Deep Purple..etc.), but maybe not everyone’s has heard them.

Like I said, there’s a lot of good suggestions… it’ll take awhile to check out everything already listed.. Maybe if someone could post a few ones with short descriptions of the band, that would be helpful.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Bill, if you go to www.cdnow.com (and other sites too) you can enter the artist and get biographical info and sound clips as well as other info. That way you can decide what you like. Or you are welcome to come by my place to listen to that stuff. Make sure you bring my favorite beer, 'Geritol Light.':b

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, I got one nobody else has yet:
Captain Beyond
The 1st album is awesome (1972), the 2nd not so good, and I never tried the 3rd. Rod Evans (a la "Hush" and Deep Purple) is the lead singer. "Rhino" is on lead guitar. I highly recommend the 1st lp. Original bassist and drummer were from ... Iron Butterfly. I got it after it was reviewed in S&V a while back when the remaster came out (no extra tracks though).
Here's a few tracks:
Dancing Madly Backwards (on a Sea of Air)
Armworth
Myopic Void
Mesmerization Eclipse
Raging River of Fear
Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Time Since Come and Gone)
Well, you get the idea! :)
I really like www.allmusic.com for rock band biographies.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Keith said:
Do you consider Steppenwolf lesser known?
To someone who grew up in the mid-late 60s Steppenwolf would not be considered a lesser known band. Born To Be Wild is the theme song to Easy Rider.

Phil,
Using your "fuzzy math", I have been 39 for 14 years.

Overall, the mid-late 60s was a great time for Rock music. My 15 year old song is discovering a whole "new" world of music with the Beatles, Who, Doors, Led Zeppelin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks