What's new

What, Another #@!% Enterprise re-run?! (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Just when we were settling into a despicable pattern (good episode, bad episode, aweful episode, rerun, rerun, repeat)... Just enough to keep us die-hards watching.. They have to rub our noses in it and take it up another notch!

Am I the only one who finds this offensive and blatent manipulation?

BTW I'm referring to my recent discovery that tonights episode marks the 3rd consecutive Enterprise re-run.. What is this, Moonlighting?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Smallville will have something like 5-6 reruns in a row until the middle of April. We're all suffering.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the February sweeps are over - and well, look at it this way. There is less than a month and a half until May.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
tonights episode marks the 3rd consecutive Enterprise re-run.. What is this, Moonlighting?
Geez, it's not like that's unusual - even though Enterprise actually produces more episodes per year than other hour-long shows (26 vs 22), UPN never pre-empts it. There's something like eight episodes left for the season, five reserved for May. That means you're going to get reruns

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
That means you're going to get reruns
Yes, and as long as they stuck to the pattern I described, I wouldn't have batted an eye.. But three in a row?!

Why would a show struggling for an audience go almost a month with no new content? I can see a highly-watched, established, respectable show skating for that long on it's laurels, but Enterprise? Wouldn't the low ratings make them more inclined to put more stuff out there, build a good fanbase, get a buzz going, etc. So that 3 sesons later MAYBE they could afford to pull this kind of crap?!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Blame sweeps. You start with 26 episodes. Subtract 4 each for November, February, and May. Actually, subtract 1 more for May since UPN's planning a 2-hour "finale event". That leaves 13.

And you want to start the season with a run of new episodes, so subtract five for October and the last week of the end of September. Down to 8, which must be distributed between December, January, March, and April.

Now... is it more useful to do a strict alternating pattern (2 new, 2 repeat; or even 1-and-1), or to clump them up a little more? The guys running the networks probably have research data that favors clumping - you can do more promotion, build some momentum, etc.

Wouldn't the low ratings make them more inclined to put more stuff out there, build a good fanbase, get a buzz going, etc.
What "more stuff"? There's only 26 episodes per year, which is more than almost any other scripted prime-time show makes. New episodes one week means a rerun another. The only ways around it are to compress the season further (which is why Fox holds certain shows until November), or actually pre-empt Enterprise some weeks with specials to at least give the appearance of fewer consecutive reruns. Unfortunately, UPN doesn't have sports, news, or awards shows that would do that, and Enterprise is their signature show anyway.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Besides, look at it this way - starting 2 April, nine new episodes in eight weeks, with only two or three being written by B&B!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
They should just show the 26 episodes in a row. And networks wonder why they're losing audience share.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Will, as episodes take more than a week to produce, that would mean holding some back well after they're completed. Studios don't like sitting on something that could be making money.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And then there's the question of how the newtork fills the slot the rest of the year. "Show all 26, repeat all 26" probably isn't the healthiest thing for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks