What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Road crews doing macadam patches during the day, tying up traffic. Why can’t they do this shit at night, when traffic is decreased?
I wouldn’t put it past some genius to schedule farting around with this stuff on Monday, April 8th (almost positive that’s when the total solar eclipse is supposed to happen). Where I do my normal work, I will be affected (supposed to cut right through Ohio, from the southwest to northeast). Ain’t looking forward to this day- I know traffic will be jammed. 🙁

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Road crews doing macadam patches during the day, tying up traffic. Why can’t they do this shit at night, when traffic is decreased?
I wouldn’t put it past some genius to schedule farting around with this stuff on Monday, April 8th (almost positive that’s when the total solar eclipse is supposed to happen). Where I do my normal work, I will be affected (supposed to cut right through Ohio, from the southwest to northeast). Ain’t looking forward to this day- I know traffic will be jammed. 🙁

I'm hoping for clouds and rain showers throughout the northeast on April 8. All this eclipse crap annoys me.

And, yes, night work seems to be a thing of the past. I recall all sort of tasks around my city being done at night when I was younger (road work, street sweeping, etc). Now none of that happens. It's all done during the day to make the biggest traffic jams possible.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I am so looking forward to a clear day in TX so I can see one total solar eclipse before I die. People who do not appreciate the wonders of nature should have rain on their parade.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Going into on again off again panic mode yesterday after finding myself unable to install Windows 10 on the Mrs. new SSD drive, thinking some BIOS setting I changed totally messed things up, only to find later that the biggest issue was my Windows 10 loaded thumb drive that I used a few weeks ago for my own new SSD, picked yesterday to sh*t the bed and fail! :rolleyes:

Thankfully, I had a 2nd Windows 10 loaded thumb drive (Albeit less up to date!) at the ready and used that, instead.

CHEERS! :)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’m pretty sure I’m on my 9th repair shop visit in the last 3 weeks, with our company trailers. My dispatchers claim the other drivers maintain this beaten up junk, but I find that hard to believe. I’m much more than annoyed- my blood pressure is likely at stroke level. 😡

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That emergency rooms only have one doctor. I had to bring my dad for tachycardia and shortness of breath and we’ve been in the waiting room for close to three hours. Only four people have been taken back to exam rooms in that time and there are 19 people waiting who came in after us.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That emergency rooms only have one doctor. I had to bring my dad for tachycardia and shortness of breath and we’ve been in the waiting room for close to three hours. Only four people have been taken back to exam rooms in that time and there are 19 people waiting who came in after us.
Yeah, they really should post a sign: "For prompt service, please check into the ER three hours before your emergency."

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’m from Ontario, and I have no complaints about our medical system at all. The flaw occurs when u can’t get a family Dr. I had congestive heart failure about 18 years ago. I waited 20 hours to be seen in the ER.
This has only come down a bit over the years. A.recent scandal in the news reported people being found dead before they could be treated.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Freight company dispatchers- not to be trusted. I strongly feel I was lied to today.
I was on my way back to the house, and I get a phone call. As soon as I saw the company number come up on the caller ID, I knew I was not going home. They wanted me to complete a load that another driver “didn’t have the hours for” (translation for the layperson- doesn’t have the hours means the driver couldn’t legally make it to the destination, due to lack of driving time, or duty time, per DOT hours of service regulations). I took that to mean the driver was going to stay at the truck stop where we swapped trailers. He immediately left, as soon as he hooked to the trailer I gave him. I think the actual truth was the company booked him on another load that would get him home quicker. If they told me that, while not liking getting to my house later than expected, I would have understood. To lie to an employee shows lack of respect. 😡

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Freight company dispatchers- not to be trusted. I strongly feel I was lied to today.
I was on my way back to the house, and I get a phone call. As soon as I saw the company number come up on the caller ID, I knew I was not going home. They wanted me to complete a load that another driver “didn’t have the hours for” (translation for the layperson- doesn’t have the hours means the driver couldn’t legally make it to the destination, due to lack of driving time, or duty time, per DOT hours of service regulations). I took that to mean the driver was going to stay at the truck stop where we swapped trailers. He immediately left, as soon as he hooked to the trailer I gave him. I think the actual truth was the company booked him on another load that would get him home quicker. If they told me that, while not liking getting to my house later than expected, I would have understood. To lie to an employee shows lack of respect. 😡

Who in their right mind would obfuscate the issue of another driver's wanting to get home early and pass it off as a lack of legal time for that other driver to do the load to which you were ultimately assigned?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Who in their right mind would obfuscate the issue of another driver's wanting to get home early and pass it off as a lack of legal time for that other driver to do the load to which you were ultimately assigned?
My theory is there are some drivers that squawk about their loads/situations, so the dispatchers have to lie to other, more accommodating drivers to shut the malcontent up. I do know that the job of dispatcher is one I would never take under any circumstances- they are under a good deal of pressure, and have to deal with pissed off people. I rarely say anything to my dispatchers- I try to keep the peace.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When store clerks give you attitude when you ask them to fix a mistake that they made. I was in a mini-mart this morning and the clerk tried to short me $1 on my change. I wasn't nasty about it, I just pointed out that I should have got back $3 rather than the $2 she gave me. Instead saying "sorry" or "oops" or something, she just gets all sulky and quiet, like I was somehow pissing on her because I wanted the correct change.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Funny, I had that happen the other week. I got a $2 win on a lottery ticket, and wanted to apply that to $10 worth of lottery numbers I was buying. The cashier kept wanting to charge me the $10 while insisting that she applied the $2 win. Eventually she realized her mistake. She wasn't belligerent about it, but she still didn't seem to want to acknowledge her mistake.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Scary how many clerks can’t make change, or complete a proper transaction for a small dollar purchase. Nobody can/wants to do simple math in their head.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Scary how many clerks can’t make change, or complete a proper transaction for a small dollar purchase. Nobody can/wants to do simple math in their head.
It's because schools are no longer teaching math properly. Kids are handed a calculator by the 4th grade, if not sooner and barely, if at all, have to learn the multiplication table. They are not taught how to do math with pencil/paper beyond a few weeks of general practice before being handed a calculator (based on my now 12yo granddaughter's requests for help with her 4th grade math work/papers - I do IT support in an elementary so see first hand how things have changed over the years). Most HS graduates can not make change without the register or an adding machine telling them how much is required. That under 20yo group has also grown up barely touching coins/bills, much less taught how to add/combine them properly, and it's a recipe for huge errors. It's not much better with the 21-30yo group.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Most HS graduates can not make change without the register or an adding machine telling them how much is required.

I'm not sure what the cause and effect here is. I suspect that businesses like having the register determine what the change should be so that there's less of a chance of a mistake being made. But whether the lack of necessity in being able to work out the proper amount on the part of the employee is causing the problem, or improper instruction in math class I don't know. Maybe both.

But, yeah, it's more likely the fault of the classroom, as it seems that virtually all subjects aren't being taught as well as they used to be.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Spring-predicting groundhogs.

Now more than 8 weeks beyond Punx Phil's prediction of an early spring, and even past the "6 more weeks of winter" alternative, we're possibly getting another foot of snow for the second time in two weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks