What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Some news articles and the other Blu-ray Forum are also increasingly annoying with the latter constantly spitting out obstructive video ads, often times with NO "x" whatsoever! :angry:
Worse than that are the ones that do have an "X", but when I hit the "X", instead of closing the ad window, it takes me to the site being advertised.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This week between Christmas and New Year’s, my dedicated runs don’t ship, so I’m on general freight. This morning, I came to find out that the broker gave my dispatcher/load planner the wrong street address for my pickup. Eighty minutes of my time was wasted. People in the offices have one job to do- get load information correct. If these knuckleheads can’t even do that without screwing up,… 😡😡😡

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Worse than that are the ones that do have an "X", but when I hit the "X", instead of closing the ad window, it takes me to the site being advertised.

Why would wanting to close off a video ad be taken as interest in what is shilled in that video ad?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We had a lot of power outages in the area today that knocked out most of the traffic lights. I was always taught that when power is out, all intersections become 4-way STOP and follow those protocols. However, most people around here seemed to believe that those on the main routes had the right of way and did not need to stop or yield to anyone. Those that did stop and try and observe a 4-way STOP were the targets of blaring horns by those behind them.

People are such F-in morons. However, somehow the only accident I saw was not at an intersection.
I have a similar situation where I live. A fairly major street goes through our subdivision-sized little "city". Four smaller streets cross this larger street. It used to be a 2-lane street and it had 4-way stops at every street. A few years ago, it was decided to convert this section with the 4-way stops to circular roundabouts. (I voted against it). The street now goes down to one lane when it reaches the four roundabouts.

The rule about roundabouts is that whoever is actually in the circular part of the roundabout has the right of way. However, the drivers on the main street drive as if they always have the right of way and refuse (or try to refuse) to yield to the drivers from the cross streets who are already in the circle. There are yield signs posted at all 4 entry points, so it should be clear that everybody has to yield.

I don't know if they ar F-in morons or just assholes.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My new Reloadable CC just arrived in the mail, today.

Why is it that CC companies now insist on making the strip portion where your signature has to be written be anything BUT quick dry? The first part of my signature got smudged to the point that I had to try and rewrite it, and now it just looks like crap! SHEESH!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree, but does anyone even check signatures on cards any more? I can't remember the last time I handed my card to a cashier. I'm either in self-checkout, or swiping/tapping it myself on the PIN pad card reader at a cashier checkout.

I'm not sure my newer cards even have a signature strip?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Do any states have what we Canadians call “the machine” yet? When you are finished at a restaurant, you ask for or are asked if you want “the machine” and the waitress brings over a portable credit card reader. Then you proceed to slide or tap your card, add the tip, and no one else touches it. It also prints the bill.

We went to the states at least once a week before COVID. I once asked for “the machine”, and the confused look on the server showed me she didn’t have a clue.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Why would wanting to close off a video ad be taken as interest in what is shilled in that video ad?
Anything for a click. Some ads hide the X and some include a fake X which is part of the clickable link. It’s pretty underhanded but not uncommon.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Perhaps a little bit of both. The city where I live has, so far, converted 36 intersections to roundabouts with more in the works and/or planned for future upgrades. I think they’re fantastic. I still see the occasional boneheaded move where a driver tries to turn left through one or treats it like a 4-way stop even when there’s no one inside the circle. There are also the occasional drivers I come across who don’t yield to traffic already in the circle but most people yield properly.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Many American chain restaurants, Terry, keep "machines" called Ziosks on the tables for customers. Besides allowing the customer to review and pay the bill, many also have games (trivia, video games, etc.) that the customers (or their kids) can play--for a price.
Chili’s comes to mind.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The rule about roundabouts is that whoever is actually in the circular part of the roundabout has the right of way. However, the drivers on the main street drive as if they always have the right of way and refuse (or try to refuse) to yield to the drivers from the cross streets who are already in the circle. There are yield signs posted at all 4 entry points, so it should be clear that everybody has to yield.

Why make a choice? They are both.

Edit; After decades of maintaining a single lane wooden bridge, the city I'm in replaced it with a two lane bridge. Years after that a single lane roundabout was added at one end. I thought the idea was stupid because it felt like it was going ro cause the same traffic congestion that the bridge replacement was done to solve.

Surprisingly, it actually works quite well as long as you have drivers that understand what a red triangle on a white background means. Unfortunately, there are people who not only are functionally illiterate but diagramatically illiterate too.

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Seeing all those people stranded at the airport cause of the weather, and Southwests incompetence. Not being with family/friends this holiday. I think Southwest owes more to these families than just a pawltry refund.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seeing all those people stranded at the airport cause of the weather, and Southwests incompetence. Not being with family/friends this holiday. I think Southwest owes more to these families than just a pawltry refund.
Agreed, and I know they're being investigated by the federal transportation agency, but I can't think of what meaningful punishment could be invoked that wouldn't just further hurt their customers. Any large fines will just be passed through to consumers via higher ticket prices, and revoking their license to operate would just decrease competition in the marketplace and also raise fares for all travelers.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Do any states have what we Canadians call “the machine” yet? When you are finished at a restaurant, you ask for or are asked if you want “the machine” and the waitress brings over a portable credit card reader. Then you proceed to slide or tap your card, add the tip, and no one else touches it. It also prints the bill.

We went to the states at least once a week before COVID. I once asked for “the machine”, and the confused look on the server showed me she didn’t have a clue.
A local ice-cream shop/restaurant has them. It's pretty convenient. I haven't noticed them elsewhere, but my wife and I haven't eaten in a restaurant for much of the past three years, so I can't say how prevalent they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks