What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Seeing all those people stranded at the airport cause of the weather, and Southwests incompetence. Not being with family/friends this holiday. I think Southwest owes more to these families than just a pawltry refund.
So glad I don’t have to depend on airlines as part of my life. You just never know what’s going to happen- seems to be a pot luck experience, no matter which day or which destination.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I strongly dislike airports & flying - i.e., the whole damn experience. However, I find it to be a necessary evil sometimes. And, things have obviously gotten worse since the pandemic. That being said - I've gotten a flight cancelled before, but given the circumstances (it was @ my destination & I had a place to stay while I was waiting for the new flight) it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Conversely, seeing all of these people stranded @ airports due to the extreme amount of holiday flight cancellations is horrible. I'm extremely glad I chose not to fly anywhere for the holidays this year - partly because I knew this exact issue could happen. And, after all of the cancellations this past summer people should have expected this.

Not making excuses for the airlines & note that I could be wrong about this: But, I strongly suspect a lot of the issue is because after the pandemic hit in early 2020, a lot of the airlines let numerous employees go due to lack of business. These former airline employees obviously had to get other jobs. And, when things started up again re: people flying on a regular basis (roughly sometime in 2021) they had to hire a lot of new people - but couldn't fill all of the necessary positions. Complicating matters was that - obviously - all of these new employees had to be trained (which takes time), etc.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Not making excuses for the airlines & note that I could be wrong about this: But, I strongly suspect a lot of the issue is because after the pandemic hit in early 2020, a lot of the airlines let numerous employees go due to lack of business. These former airline employees obviously had to get other jobs. And, when things started up again re: people flying on a regular basis (roughly sometime in 2021) they had to hire a lot of new people - but couldn't fill all of the necessary positions. Complicating matters was that - obviously - all of these new employees had to be trained (which takes time), etc.

Looks like it's more of a case of Southwest having an overaggressive approach to scheduling with razor thin margins of error, which doesn't allow them any wiggle room when something gets thrown off. On top of that, they have old software that couldn't keep track of where their people were or what their availability was.

All of the other airlines got themselves back on track within a couple of days of the storm. Southwest is the only one still digging themselves out of a hole.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I strongly dislike airports & flying - i.e., the whole damn experience. However, I find it to be a necessary evil sometimes. And, things have obviously gotten worse since the pandemic. That being said - I've gotten a flight cancelled before, but given the circumstances (it was @ my destination & I had a place to stay while I was waiting for the new flight) it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Conversely, seeing all of these people stranded @ airports due to the extreme amount of holiday flight cancellations is horrible. I'm extremely glad I chose not to fly anywhere for the holidays this year - partly because I knew this exact issue could happen. And, after all of the cancellations this past summer people should have expected this.

Places across the board, not just in aviation, have had problems with staffing.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Places across the board, not just in aviation, have had problems with staffing.

Absolutely & very understandable given that we still haven't come close to recovering from the economic effects of the pandemic. However, I would suspect that airlines are one of the businesses where this staffing issue is felt the most. I.e., a lot of people are being extremely inconvenienced by being stranded at airports; ruining their vacation/holiday plans; not being able to get back to work in time due to being stuck, etc. What a #%#@%#@ nightmare.

Again, flying is stressful even when things are going relatively smoothly @ airports & with flights.

Also, note that last summer there were also a lot of flight cancellations as well due to a lot of people travelling for summer vacation(s), etc. I saw the writing on the wall then, and knew it was going to happen again over the holidays - due to the extreme # of people travelling.

Looks like it's more of a case of Southwest having an overaggressive approach to scheduling with razor thin margins of error, which doesn't allow them any wiggle room when something gets thrown off. On top of that, they have old software that couldn't keep track of where their people were or what their availability was.

All of the other airlines got themselves back on track within a couple of days of the storm. Southwest is the only one still digging themselves out of a hole.

Yes, I'm sure this had a lot to do with the issue. But, again - this happened last summer as well with other airlines. It will probably continue to happen @ peak travel times - at least for a while.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Purchasing a product or service and being inundated with requests for reviews/ratings. This just turns me off from buying anything from this provider in the future.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Purchasing a product or service and being inundated with requests for reviews/ratings. This just turns me off from buying anything from this provider in the future.

Or being constantly badgered about responding to surveys about one's "experience". But I think I brought that up earlier in the thread.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Pharmacies. Besides being exceptionally slow, no pharmacy here is open after 10PM anymore. CVS was the last holdout but they’re no longer open 24 hours. I went by this morning a little before 6AM to pick up a scrip for my wife before hitting the road for Memphis and discovered the store was locked up tight with signs posted on the door with their new store and pharmacy hours of 8AM - 10PM, with the pharmacy now being closed from noon to 1PM.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I get these on a regular basis from Amazon MP vendors. I've found no way to disable them that doesn't also disable receiving emails from them that could be necessary for order transaction. I've resorted to giving negative seller feedback when this happens.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Pharmacies. Besides being exceptionally slow, no pharmacy here is open after 10PM anymore. CVS was the last holdout but they’re no longer open 24 hours. I went by this morning a little before 6AM to pick up a scrip for my wife before hitting the road for Memphis and discovered the store was locked up tight with signs posted on the door with their new store and pharmacy hours of 8AM - 10PM, with the pharmacy now being closed from noon to 1PM.

Utterly inconvenient, if you ask me.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I think a lot of it is staffing problems. My local pharmacy also has the pharmacy counter closed for an hour at lunch time because they don't have enough people to spread out lunch times for the pharmaceutical staff.

A big surprise for me this past Saturday. I was driving my father-in-law to his bank so that he could deposit a check, and get some pocket cash. We got there mid-morning, and the lobby was closed. We thought it might've been because it was New Year's Eve (though I'd think they'd still be open till noon, at least), but there was a sign on the door posting "new hours", with no hours at all on Saturday.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We go to a local sub store. Recently it was closed with no note on the door. A few days later we noticed it was opened. I called. The owner said they could not get the staff that day and had to close for a few hours. Now I have to call ahead every time I want to go there to make sure they are opened before I drive over.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
We go to a local sub store. Recently it was closed with no note on the door. A few days later we noticed it was opened. I called. The owner said they could not get the staff that day and had to close for a few hours. Now I have to call ahead every time I want to go there to make sure they are opened before I drive over.
We likely will never get back to 100% normal after the pandemic

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
My wife is a teacher and ends up getting some Visa gift cards from some of the parents of her students. She gave a $100.00 card to my teanage daughter to go pick up something at the local Target when we were all last there. The counter guy tells us that it was an invalid card and would not process it, so we had to use something else. We get home and my wife checks online and it shows that it is a valid card with $100.00 on it. Then two day's later she sees that the card was used at the same Target -- we got scammed out of the money and cannot prove that it wasn't us.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks