What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
One mall was just called “smokers mall”, by us, since people wafted smoke all over. A few years ago we went to a restaurant in Michigan and were asked if we wanted smoking or non. For a minute we didn’t even know what they were talking about! I wonder what is the law there now.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Now smokers use the Great Outdoors as their ashcan/dump. Rarely a day goes by that I don't see a smoker toss a butt out the window at a stop light with it hitting the street still burning. I've seen them open the car door and dump the ashtray in the street. I once asked a smoker why they threw the butt out when they have a perfectly good ash tray in the car only for them to reply "I don't want to mess that up as it hurts resale value." as if the stench of cigarette smoke that *never* leaves the car isn't bad enough.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Never understood that. There are literally trash cans available everywhere. Anywhere you stop, there is a trash can. You can properly dispose of your trash at every opportunity. There's no reason to toss out the window. It's just laziness and assholery.
It's probably because my parents drilled into my brain that littering was awful but I don't think I even littered a gum wrapper as a typically rude teenager. The most I've ever do is dump the contents of a cup in a parking lot because I didn't want it anymore (and I keep the cup in my car or put it in a trash can at the place I'm going).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Next to my high school there is a small park with a sunken garden. We often had our bagged lunch there. We thought we were hilarious and incredibly evil when we would drink our pop and push the can into the surrounding hedge as far in as we could reach!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For some unknown reason (Though I suspect a recent Windows 10 update may be the culprit. BIG surprise!), I can no longer full screen my photos in the Windows 10 Photo App. Yes, I know the F11 trick, but that isn't helping either! :(

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I could never stand the smell of smoke or even see someone smoking while I am eating. I have to move to another table in a restaurant or close a blind if I can see smokers outside.

My father if anything thought smoking was good for you, or you were a wuss if you found it bothered you. The first thing he would do after eating at the table was light up and use his dinner plate for an ash tray. That is why I learned to eat so fast and still do.

I also remember my parents complaining about the gas furnace in the house which would make the mirrors get cloudy. This problem of course miraculously disappeared when my father passed away!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My parents smoked from the time I was born until I was in middle school around 1987. My brother took up smoking when he was about 13 and smoked until the day he died at 46. I tried it and didn’t like it, but it never bothered me.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My mom smoked from age 15 until her mid 50s. Three packs a day. In the morning, she would sit up on the side of her bed and light a cigarette before she even stood up. She would smoke while she got ready for her day, including having a cigarette burning in her ashtray in the bathroom. I BEGGED her to quit. She would say she couldn’t, she was addicted. Then, in her mid 50s her doctor told her she had cancer. She quit smoking, cold turkey, that same day.

One third of one lung was removed. A breast was removed. She was cancer free for 7 years but it still came back, more surgeries. She survived for about 12 years (from first diagnosis) but the cancer eventually invaded both of her lungs. She suffocated to death over several agonizing months. It was a horrific way to die.

It annoys me that the leadership of tobacco companies are not in prison.

Mark

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I smoked from ~16 until ~24 when my daughter was born. Neither of my parents smoked and it wasn't allowed in the house. Period. My maternal grandfather smoked and mom made him to that outside. I never smoked in a restaurant as it annoyed me when someone did even during those years I smoked. I quit cold turkey when I realized the money I was spending on cigarettes would 100% pay for the disposable diapers for my daughter. My wife didn't quit until the kids were in their teens and then restarted/quit/restarted/quit (for good that time). She only quit when her mom was diagnosed with severe COPD and congestive heart failure due to *her* decades of smoking and was ordered by her doctor to quit. Since my wife took care of her mother she quit to help her mom (and it's always annoyed me that she wouldn't quit to help *our* family - oh well.. she's quit now). After my daughter and son got out of diapers I used that "cigarette money" as my extra spending money, reasoning that *I* had quit and had I not I'd still be spending that money on me anyway. It annoyed my wife I did that but I always gave her the same option - quit and the money saved is yours.

I can't stand to be around smokers these days as the residual smell on their clothes tends to choke me up. Vaping is as bad with its "fruity" and "sweet" smelling vapors/odors that are just too strong.

My daughter, after decades of complaining about her mom's smoking, took it up then switched to vaping, which IMHO is just as bad if not worse.

Smoking and vaping very, very, much annoy me.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Ordered 4 books from an online retailer. I get two separate e-mails from that retailer last week saying one of the books is backordered and offered either a refund or a substitution. Of course it's the one book that was the reason I placed in order.

Both times, I opt for a substitution. Then I order another copy of the book through Amazon marketplace. (Not quite as good of a price, but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks than not have it.)

Today, as I'm walking to the mailbox to retrieve the book I bought through Amazon, I get an e-mail from the retailer saying that they were able to obtain a copy and it just got shipped yesterday.

D'oh!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ordered 4 books from an online retailer. I get two separate e-mails from that retailer last week saying one of the books is backordered and offered either a refund or a substitution. Of course it's the one book that was the reason I placed in order.

Both times, I opt for a substitution. Then I order another copy of the book through Amazon marketplace. (Not quite as good of a price, but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks than not have it.)

Today, as I'm walking to the mailbox to retrieve the book I bought through Amazon, I get an e-mail from the retailer saying that they were able to obtain a copy and it just got shipped yesterday.

D'oh!
Well, at least you'll have another copy in case you lose or misplace your first one, for one thing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When you set a mouse trap, then don't catch anything for so long you forget about it until you do finally catch something and it pops in the summer heat, starts leaking, and stinks.

I've been trying to figure out what that smell was for a couple days now. I did check one trap, but forgot there was another. Bleah!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My current bout with insomnia, and no matter what I do I can't seem to get my circadian rhythm back to normal.
Welcome to "old age"... I wake almost every morning at 2am just to go to the bathroom. I don't easily fall back asleep so tend to "catnap" the rest of the night. I once would sleep all night and into the morning if no one bothered me. The constant change to/from artificial time (aka DST) just makes it worse.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well the work schedule doesn't help, been second shift for almost 12 years now, but when working hours are extended from 6 PM to 6 AM for a few weeks for special jobs. It just takes longer to get back into a normal routine. Honestly it's like I'm back on active duty in the Navy,operating on 3-4 hours "rest " a day.

Did catch an episode of Mannix that I haven't seen, so that was a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks