What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The fill valve in one of our toilets was not shutting off completely and the toilet would run every few minutes so I bought a new one and replaced it this morning. When I reconnected everything and opened the water-stop, the tank filled and water was dripping from the supply line. I tightened the supply connection a bit more and the leak didn’t stop so I closed the water-stop and disconnected the supply line and quickly discovered the water-stop has failed and water is still trickling out of the supply line. I reconnected everything again and water still leaks out from around the supply line if the tank fills. Even with the water-stop closed, it takes the tank about a half-hour to fill then the leak starts. I entertained the idea of trying to replace the water-stop at the wall but it seems the further upstream I go to attempt to fix this issue, the larger the issue gets. It’s Saturday so I’ve given up and removed the flapper so the tank will not slowly fill until I can get a plumber here Monday morning.
Our current issue is a non compatible setup in which the spray nozzle has to be stapled to the inside wall of the toilet tank! We're supposed to be getting a whole new toilet, but I don't know when!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Going out to eat and being seated in the screaming kid section.

“No, I don’t mind being seated behind the baby who’s screaming at the top of their lungs while their parents ignore them and look at their phones. I really prefer the constant “nails on chalkboard” of an infant’s scream to a low-noise environment where I can enjoy my meal.”

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When my sister's kids were young we stopped going out with them as her kids were completely uncontrolled in a restaurant. They'd get up, before - during - after, the meal and wander around the seating area messing with unoccupied tables, serving stations, just about everything with my sister and brother-in-law ignoring them completely - and this was *before* cell phones. We'd be talking and one or or more of 'em would just get up and start their thing. We're telling our kids to "sit down and behave" while theirs are on the verge of anarchy with not a word being said.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Going out to eat and being seated in the screaming kid section.

“No, I don’t mind being seated behind the baby who’s screaming at the top of their lungs while their parents ignore them and look at their phones. I really prefer the constant “nails on chalkboard” of an infant’s scream to a low-noise environment where I can enjoy my meal.”
Funny scene in a Becker episode- a woman is with her crying child in Reggie’s coffee shop, and of course it doesn’t take long for Becker to react. He and the woman pass a few words, then Becker says “That may be music to your ears, but to the rest of us it’s about as soothing as a garbage disposal with a fork in it.”

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Is this the same truck you've had all the other issues with? If so, I think it's cursed!
Same truck (the logging computer still doesn’t work right- an ongoing issue for almost 5 months). The problem with recap tires is warm/hot weather and heavy loads is a bad combination- the recap glue is stressed. If I were king, recaps would be outlawed on commercial vehicles- they can be dangerous for cars nearby.

Good news is my company called the right road repair service- that guy must have worked on a NASCAR pit crew. I was on my way in just over an hour
(usually takes two hours for a blown tire, due to arrival time of mechanic and doing the swap out).

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve been driving for 16 now, and I can say I’ve been lucky that I’ve had only a handful of close calls. I had one this morning. 4:00 AM, and I’m minding my own business, cruising in the right lane. I quickly come up behind a tractor trailer, stopped in my lane, with no lights on. That was scary. As I made my way around him to the left, it occurs to him to turn his lights on. Here we have a “professional” driver, parked in a travel lane at night, with no lights. This is what the shoulder is for. I haven’t seen anything as dumb as this on the road in quite some time.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'd have gotten his corporate and truck number to call in and report him.
Yes that is the appropriate action to take. My first guess, after my heart returned to its normal position, was the driver is a rookie who didn’t know what to do in the event of equipment trouble. He/she will learn the easy or hard way that getting out of a travel lane is priority #1.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yes that is the appropriate action to take. My first guess, after my heart returned to its normal position, was the driver is a rookie who didn’t know what to do in the event of equipment trouble. He/she will learn the easy or hard way that getting out of a travel lane is priority #1.
I'm guessing you also pulled over and changed pants... ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm guessing you also pulled over and changed pants... ;)
That would have been my move.

This reminds me of a time when I was driving home from work in the dark on a freeway. Then a 1/2 or 1 mile ahead I see headlights moving around and even pointing up. I immediately slowed down and was going slow when I arrived at the wreck. One time when the dark increased visibility.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Endless days with Thunderstorms in the forecast and nothing, followed by a day of none in the forecast, then of course, BOOM! ⛈

I have a very different perspective on this.

When I was young, I lived in places which had very little to no rain and smog was a major problem. Every time it rained however infrequently, the sky was "cleaned out" with no smog for a week or so.

With the sky being smoggy from wildfire smoke following the wind over hundreds of miles away, the rain cleans out all the smoke for a few days (until new smoke is brought in by the wind).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I remember when people smoked EVERYWHERE, including grocery stores. The douchebags would throw their butts on the tile floor and put them out with their shoe, grinding the ash into the tile.

VERY annoying!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks