What's new

What annoys you? (4 Viewers)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I get soup and salad, but other appetizers puzzle me. Is their purpose to fill you up so you can’t eat the main course? Why would you want to do that?

We travel and eat in the “States” at least twice a month, and are always amazed by the gigantic portions. I always say it is “the land of my people” when I look around at all the 250 to 300 lb folks. (I have always had a weight problem myself).

If you are near home, you can doggy bag the extras, but what do you do if you are in a hotel like we often are? You can basically throw the extras away or gorge yourself

I came up with a brilliant solution some time ago. We “half” everything. If the split meal isn’t enough, we always say we can order more, but we have never had to, and sometimes the portion is too big for two.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Here’s one that I have experienced a lot as an over-the-road truck driver. The “if you want something done, you have to do it yourself” thing. I share a dedicated run with another driver- 2 locations, back and forth all week. We take freight on a half dozen trailers. The other driver won’t bother to look for problems, and take corrective action- it’s always me who has to get the maintenance done :angry:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
logo@2x.png
gluten-free1.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
"Journalists" who have no idea what they're wiring about:

From Newsweek:
It's been five decades since Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins launched into space for what would be mankind's first and only trip (so far) to the moon. People all across the globe will come together to remember the American astronauts' iconic accomplishment during the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11's moon landing on Saturday.

Anyone notice the error (the factual one - not the grammatical one)? How did this make it to "print"?!?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
"Journalists" who have no idea what they're wiring about:

From Newsweek:

Anyone notice the error (the factual one - not the grammatical one)? How did this make it to "print"?!?
I would bet that the author is under 40 years of age, probably less. Apparently the editor also. Still, I would have thought this is one topic that everyone would have a level of knowledge about that would preclude the error.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes this is a good subject that relates to pet peeves- poorly written articles. I surf through a couple of sites, reading about incidents, and there always seems to be misspelled words and factual errors in the articles I read. Under educated or lazy people who don’t do a proper job.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would bet that the author is under 40 years of age, probably less. Apparently the editor also. Still, I would have thought this is one topic that everyone would have a level of knowledge about that would preclude the error.

Yes this is a good subject that relates to pet peeves- poorly written articles. I surf through a couple of sites, reading about incidents, and there always seems to be misspelled words and factual errors in the articles I read. Under educated or lazy people who don’t do a proper job.

Yes, simple things a quick search of Wikipedia or spell-check would resolve.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
"Journalists" who have no idea what they're wiring about ...
I'm really annoyed by auto-spell-correct.

I have two now-former newspaper journalists in my family. They are the most poorly-educated people in said family. Somehow you can get a degree in "journalism" without taking any substantive coursework.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks