What's new

What angle should I hold a bottle to empty it in the shortest amount of time? (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I was thinking about this today as I poured flat pop out of a two-liter bottle. When I held the bottle completely upside-down over the sink, it seemed like it took forever to empty, because air bubbles kept "gurgling" up into it, slowing the descent of the liquid.

So, have any studies been done that would determine the best angle? I realize there are a lot of variables here: the size of the bottle's mouth, the viscosity of the liquid being poured out, etc.

I assume that the best way might be an ever-increasing angle, relative to the amount of liquid left in the bottle, just enough to eliminate the "gurgle" factor, but that's just a guess. Any opinions on this?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
bob, i'm a professional part-time bartender and part-time student (with one C+ grade in a physics class) so you could consider me an expert in the field. :)
here's what i do when i'm pouring wine. you hold the bottle directly vertical, then spin the thing in a quick circle (keep the nose in the same place). then stop and hold the bottle upright. the liquid will spin around the outside creating a whirpool like effect. the wine will pour much faster.
i've tested this scientifically against another bored server and i kicked his butt in the race.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the consistently changing angle method is the best. This way, you are able to keep a constant flow coming out of the bottle and it won't be stopped by the gurgling air bubbles.

Though I wonder if shaking the bottle around in a circular motion would make the liquid whirlpool out of the bottle and make it come out faster at an upright angle.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yep. Holding it straight up and starting a whirlpool is the fastest way. We used to have races with 2 liter bottles filled with water to see who could empty it the fastest. Of course, the size of the whirlpool will also effect how fast it comes out.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, best is to hold it vertically, then start spinning the bottle, creating a watertornado inside the bottle. This is the quickest way because it allows water to leave, yet at the same time let air rush in.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
i just tried this with a 24 oz aquafina bottle, but it doesn't seem to work....am i doin it right? I held the thing totally vertical and spun if back and forth like jimmy conway did with the ketchup in Goodfellas.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
lol...

you dont push it back and forth, you 'roll it'...

So you hodl the bottle vertically. If you look straight down, you should be staring at the bottom of the bottle. Now what oyu do is you move the bottle in circles. So you're making circles with the bottom of the bottle if you were staring at it from the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks