What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Shawshank Redemption - Two Disc Special Edition. (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Terrific cover Ric. I just wish DVDCA was still around so you could share it with more people.

I'm going to have to watch the movie again to see the corrected continuity error. Darn! :)

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Is it ever really made clear that Andy is innocent? People always talk about this film in terms of Andy being wrongfully incarcerated, but I've always thought that his guilt or innocence was left intentionally vague. Yes, you have the prisoner who claims to know who really committed the crime, but this is a convicted felon we're talking about here, someone who could easily fabricate a story just to get a deal with the DA. And because he's killed, we never know for sure whether he was on the level or not.

Of course, Andy isn't really the main character in the film anyway. He's a catalyst for change, most significantly in Red, whose redemption is what the title refers to. In a way, though, if Andy did commit the crime, then he is redeemed to a certain extent too because of his acts while behind bars. I don't think those acts make up for killing two people, but it's a minor redemption of sorts.

RE the idea that the ending isn't real: I'd never considered that, and it's certainly a valid interpretation. Like the ending of Taxi Driver, which some argue is going through DeNiro's character's head as he dies, the ending of Shawshank could certainly be Red's daydream.

Does Darabont discuss this in the commentary at all?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I didn't see much ambiguity about Tommy's old cell mate being the one who did the killings (in either the book or the movie).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ric's link doesn't seem to be working. :frowning: I would've snatched it earlier but I didn't see it.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
I love the Shawshank Redemption. To me, it is clear that Andy is innocent. He's the opposite of the warden. He works within the rules while the warden flaunts them. I agree with the dream interpretation of the ending.

Even if it was real, it speaks to the redemption of Red and the justice for Andy. It makes me feel so great to see that. To know that not only is the warden brought to justice in a way that will deny him God, but also that Andy is able to retain his goodness and not fall to the depths that he was accused of. Even when he was cooking the books for the warden, he was doing the right thing by maintaining the real records to convict the warden.

To me, it is uplifting to see the good ending, rather than a tragic ending or being left wondering.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It is Andy's innocence that powers his drive to not become institutionalized.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hi folks, thanks for the kudos on the alt cover. It is temporarily unavailable. I've hit some kind of snag with the kind folks that have been hosting many of my covers. I'll let you know when they are available again. Should be a day or two.

Thanks,
Ric

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
That´s almost exactly the cover for the Japanese edition with DTS, and in my opinion, the best edition when it comes to A/V.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks