What's new

What’s the most imaginative or bizarre video game you’ve ever played? (2 Viewers)

Sev_Erouston

Agent
I really enjoy the really creative and unusual games like Munch’s Oddysee, but I can’t think of very many, so that’s probably the best one I’ve seen. I’d like to know if there are other games like that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well the whole PaRappa series is a bit bizarre.

Fear Effect have a unique visual style and an awful lot of sexual references, which were really good in the context of the game.

MDK2 was pretty unique in it's style.

Frequency is also a new spin on the music-creation genre, and it has tons of bright, flashing colors and a special code to make the graphics even more trippy.

But Conker's Bad Fur Day has got to be the most out-of-place videogame within the last generation or two of games. It's dirty, raunchy, and the character have the whole Rare "kiddie" look to them, but they're NOTHING like other Rare characters.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Tempest and Qix were very abstract. And I always thought Burgertime was endearingly weird, with making those giant hamburgers by running over the pieces and all those condiments chasing after you (my mom and sister used to laugh hysterically at the sight of the sausage chasing your guy).

Oh, and shouldn't forget Q-Bert either. I think games were a lot stranger in the old days.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm, I'd say Super Mario Bros 2 and Tempest 2k. Those ultra-mello bonus levels in T2k are nutty!!!

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to go with Seaman for the Dreamcast. Very bizzare indeed and certainly imaginative.

Kip

Ike

Screenwriter
Grim Fandango. In fact, the whole Lucasarts series falls under the imaginative banner. But Grim Fandango most certainly (if you liked Munch, you have to check it out. It's different, that's for sure, but they have things in common-it's funny, has great characters...) I can't wait till Psychonauts either!

Seaman, as was said before, was pretty bizarre. If I had it to do over, I don't know that I'd buy it (too tedious, not fun enough), but it deserves some kudos for being different.

All right, someone jog my memory-I remember playing the demo to a game in which you played a bandaged patient who wakes up in a mental institution. Probably came out around '98. I remember all the reviews saying it was a pretty messed up game, and the demo was as well.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Ike, you wouldn't be talking about Origin's Bioforge, would you? I was just thinking about that game yesterday, wishing it would be re-made for the consoles.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll always have a soft spot for Attack Of The Mutant Penguins on the Jaguar. Any game that involves smacking evil penguins wearing Halloween costumes with a frying pan, and then watching the "bad" penguins get into fights with good penguins, complete with cartoon cloud, is going to leave an impression.

Of course, last night my brother and I were playing Tempest 3000. I like T2K better, but both are just utterly surreal gaming experiences - we call it "zen gaming", because by a certain point you really can't tell what's happening on-screen, and just have to go by instinct.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
REZ. Trippy and sometimes bizarre. But overall a mindtrip.

ICO. The most imaginative adventure since Heart of Darkness.

Mario 64. Platformers can be 3D.

Ike

Screenwriter
No, Jon, that's not the game I was thinking about. It was from a sort of isometric perspective, and in the demo, the asylum had a cavernous drop, with a guard tower in the middle. I believe it also had a large angel statue. Man, this is killing me not remembering the name.
Edit: Got it-Sanitarium. After all this fuss, maybe I should try to play it? :D

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'd say A Boy and His Blob. I'd love to see a modern version of the game. Legendary Wings was pretty cool as well.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can't remember the name, but there was a game for PCs which preceeded Skull Monkeys. The main character Klayman was the same. I used to have it about 6 years ago and it was truely bizarre.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Clinton, the game was The Neverhood. Never played it, but remember the name.
I give a seconding to A Boy & His Blob. That game was frustrating as hell, but PURE genius. I loved every minute I played it.
Hmm, others? The cyberspace portions of System Shock. The whole game is immersive, but the cyberspace is a brilliant, brilliant original concept and utterly simple. Genius.
SimGolf. It's imaginative, in that somebody actually thought they could make a fun game based on golf course management. That they succeeded wildly is a bonus unto itself ;).

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Super Mario Brothers 2 for NES and Grim Fandango for the PC. grim was pretty original, and smb2? something about the masks made it pretty creepy. and Alice for the PC is pretty strange as well, but i think thats the idea they were going for.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks