What's new

wharfedale diamond 8 or Atlantic series (1 Viewer)

Riaad

Agent
Hi

I had a look at the Diamond 8 series and they seem to be
great speakers.

However a store nearby is having a special on the Atlantic series, which will work out much cheaper.
It consits of the
at400 - fronts
at100 - rears
and the atlantic center.

Which of the two do you think is better. Should i rather spend the extra cash and go for the Diamonds, as they all got great reviews .

Thanks in advance .

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I prefer the Diamonds...they represent one of the best buys out there, especially as a full HT set. Which models are you looking at? Any subwoofer?

Riaad

Agent
I was looking at the :
Diamond 8.3 floorstanding - fronts
Diamond 8.1 Bookself - surrounds
Diamond center

I am not sure wherether to get the Diamond 8.2 bookself for the fronts .The only differnce i see between the 8.2 and the 8.3 is the cabinet size.
Would the low frequency reponse be very diffrent?
I do intend getting a subwoofer as well, so i guess that will cover the low end of the system anyway.

Any recommendations of subwoofers to compliment the diamonds? I am not looking for something very expensive (+/- $300).That works out to about 3000 rands .

I will be using them in a small to medium room.

I also noticed that the Diamonds have a 6 ohm impedance .According to Wharfedalethey, they say it is compatible to 8 ohm recivers. Whould the 6 ohm cause a problem.
I am using a Harmon Kardon 300rds Amplifier.

Regards
Riaad

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello,

As you know the Diamonds are 86dB sensitivity so you'll have to push the H/K volume a good bit to get the impact you might desire...but it is certainly up to it. The smaller room size will help. The 6 Ohm rating should not be of concern either...H/K's handle virtually anything you throw at them. The combination of 6 Ohm and 86dB will mean that you'll be driving the receiver fairly hard in HT so keep it well ventilated.

As to sub...there are many to pick from in that price range. I don't know what the Wharfedale 10" Powercube is going for nowadays but it is 100W and would match your system. I use the JBL PB10 myself in my small HT setup.

I am a Tower fan as I often run subless for 2 channel Music.
My Wharfedale 97's have excellent extension which allows this. If your usage preference is heavy towards HT I see no reason not to get the 8.2's for the mains. If you're like me though you'll want the 8.3's for the flexibility they offer.

Good Luck.
Paul

Riaad

Agent
Thanks Paul

I think i will go for the 8.3's anyway, as i figured i still will probibly still have to get some decent stands for the 8.2's. So they will probibly end up costing the same .

Thanks again for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.