What's new

Westworld DVD - Anamorphic or not? (1 Viewer)

Toby Maldonado

Auditioning
What is the deal with this DVD? Several places say it's discontinued and 1/2 say it is anamorphic and the other 1/2 say it isn't. If there are or were 2 versions, does anyone know which one is the anamorphic one?

Thanks!

Toby

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It's anamorphic. Always has been.

There are two versions, but only the cases differ. This discs are exactly the same. The MGM has the superior keepcase, but it has an ugly cover. The Warner version has a cardboard snapper case featuring the cool original poster art.

Toby Maldonado

Auditioning
Really??? Since the post I've spoken to 3 retailers who said there were 2 versions: MGM's and Warner's. Warner now owns the rights and reissued the DVD with the new artwork (MGM's is discontinued). I guess the new reissue wasn't done in Anamorphic (according to the people I spoke to). Do you have the Warner version and is it in Anamorphic? If so, these people really should get their information correct when someone calls them! LOL

Thanks for you help.

Toby

Toby Maldonado

Auditioning
Hmmm...I'm looking for it on DVD since the word is it's not going to be release again for quite some time :frowning:
I've always loved these older sci-fi movies like Westworld & Soylent Green.
Toby

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
as I stated above, The discs are exactly the same. Warner simply reissued the same disc in new packaging. Thus, both are anamorphic.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
When Jack said it's the same disc, it's the same disc. Down to the catalog numbers printed on the disc.

Warners changed nothing on the disc.

I am hoping for an SE!

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie on TCM Europe some weeks ago, and it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. I've had the DVD on my mind ever since. TCM even showed a featurette on the making of the movie, but stupidly they showed that before the movie, as they sometimes do, so I skipped the featurette.

Still kicking myself for missing Soylent green...

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I doubt that it is the exact same disc since the later version from Warner includes a 4:3 version of the film (which is not included on the MGM version) as well as anamorphic.
Also, according to the web site linked below, the MGM version (in amaray keepcase) is anamorphic OAR 2.35:1, and the later Warner version (in snapper case) is anamorphic cropped to 1.85:1. Can anyone else corroborate this report?
http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=1868
Perhaps we could get a screenshot posted (of the same frame) from each version for comparison?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The WB snapper disc is anamorphic, in 2.35:1. I would wager that the disc is IDENTICAL to the MGM release.
here is a capture from the WB
westworld.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks