What's new

western digital drives? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Y_F

Agent
are western digital drives reliable? (They can keep data stored in perfect condition for many many years)

What is your chioce for the most reliable Hard disk drive?

Jason L.

Second Unit
I heard that years ago WD had problems with their drives, but they cleaned up their act.

I have bought a couple and am happy with them. They seem to be cheap and quiet.

The one brand that I have heard people say they would never buy again is Maxtor.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital hard drive last week, and while that's not a long time, I'm pretty pleased with both the speed and its quietness during operation.

MichaelG

Second Unit
Like Patrick I just bought the WD 80gig 7200rpm drive. Got mine from Best Buy for $125 ($75 rebate). It's pretty quiet and is definately faster the the cheap 6 gig I have as my main drive.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've been using WD drives since 1995, and I've been happy with them. My two current 45GB 5400rpm drives have been spinning happily for 1.5 years.

I hear the new Seagates are nice, though.

Todd

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
WD is quite nice. I had a machine that was really pesky, I always had problems so I decided to just take advantage of the warranty and see if possibly the drive was at fault. (Now, I knew the drive wasn't really at fault, it turned out to be bad RAM, but it was worth a try.) I called them and got an advanced RMA, that means they ship me a new drive, overnight. I then then have 20 days to ship them my old drive or they will charge my credit card.

So what I'm saying is, they are good drives and have good customer service too.

Jon

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Awhile back I installed a Seagate 40 GB 7,200 rpm drive in an HP Pavilion. It was a breeze to install, because Seagate has some nice downloadable software on their Web site that helps with the process. The drive is dead quiet, the best I've heard, and it's been very reliable and fast so far.
I picked the drive up from www.alvio.com for about $82, plus $13 shipping.

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a computer consultant and I would not consider buying a WD drive. Over the past few years of repairing computers, I'd say that of the 20 customers I had with HD crashes, 18 of them were using WD drives. WD DOES have a great warranty service but big deal when your data is gone. Maybe they have cleaned up their act but there are a lot better drives on the market now besides them. Also, for years the WD has insisted on having different jumpering for single vs master operation. A real pain if you are using a removable drive as a slave. One of the best rated (and my favorite at the moment) is the IBM 7200rpm series - very fast, very quiet, very well reviewed. 40gb can be found at around $80 and 60gb at about $110.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks